PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community
Go Back   PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community > Home Trails > Riding and Training Techniques

Notices

Riding and Training Techniques Share your training, riding tips & race strategy.

Bike Town Cyclery King's Bicycle Store Gran Trail Cycles Global Craze Bikes Newton Multi Sales Decimal Cycle Supply Cycle Art Marketing Deuter backpack, hydration bags & accessories - Dynamic Sports Corp. Comet Cycle Center - SFDM, QC Mars Kingdom Cycle Trading Bike101 Bikeshop Ryder / Maxxis / Infinity Italia / Shimano HitchPro Philippines Red Bike Zone

Old 03-29-2009, 09:58 PM
All-Mountain

Default Improving Stamina

How do you improve your stamina?

Your legs and thighs have developed enough muscles to paddle you on uphills and long bikings. But still have a lot more to develop.

You now stop pedaling not because your leg muscles are stiffening but instead your heart pumps too much and you are gasping for a lot of oxygen.

Your body asks you to rest before continuing to pedal again...
Then you ask, "why is my bikemate able to continue pedaling without resting like I do..."

So, how do you improve your stamina?
Old 03-29-2009, 10:36 PM

Default Re: Improving Stamina

sa akin, pacing i think, for example, when anticipated that a bike route will have an ascent, medyo steady speed lang muna pag nasa flatlands, better save up yung energy for the climb. never fails for me..

also, dont use brute force pag climbing, go for lower gears, especially if yung terrain is less predictable... in my case, most of the time, may energy left pabalik sa bahay.

at... hydrate, hydrate and hydrate!

mtc,
/teodz
Old 03-30-2009, 05:46 AM
All-Mountain

A lot of factors can contribute to one's stamina while riding a bike. These factors include age, body composition, diet, general conditioning etc. The way you train would also be very important. Endurance training improves your muscles, respiratory, and cardiovascular system by improving your aerobic capacity.

The Delorme Axiom stated that: "High weight (intensity), low repetition programs builds strength; low weight (low intensity) high repetition exercises build endurance." So for us bikers, high repetition exercises would be beneficial in terms of enhancing our stamina.

From what I can recall from Sports medicine, it is important that you maintain your cardiac rate between 60-85% of your maximum heart rate for at least 30 minutes to improve your cardiac capacity. To compute for your maximum heart rate, you can use the formula below:

220-Age then multiply by 0.6 and 0.85 respectively.

Example:
220-30 = 190
190 X 0.6 = 114
190 X 0.85 = 161.5 or 162
So the target heart rate is between 114-162 bpm

Rest is also important in endurance training. By allowing your body to rest, you allow it to repair torn tissues, remove lactic acid, store glycogen, and remodel itself.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:51 AM
PMTB Mentor

i just turned 54 yesterday, i'm not that patient to read and try to understand a lot of science behind improving stamina (the reason why siguro that my stamina sucks ).

to share with you some ghetto method on how to improve stamina:

do a lot of climbing on your bike, at the onset it is hard and will induce a lot of pain, as a mountainbiker, never ever be afraid of climbs. eventually the pain becomes tolerable and the stamina develops, "kumakarga" as in cyclist's farlance. then you "enjoy" the climbs

sa umpisa nakakahiya kasi paminsan-minsan naglalakad ka sa ahon or madalas ang hinto mo, pero once you do regular practice on climbs you develop the stamina, as in bihira ka na maglakad sa ahon at bihira ka na ring huminto. IMHO one of the best ahon route northside of town is the SYATGAN trails

napakasarap at iyong babalik-balikan
Old 03-30-2009, 08:42 AM
Single-Speeder

Baliktad pala ako
I like reading , tamad nga lang ako mag train hehe

Endurance can be improved by making your body burn aerobic fuel more efficiently
As mentioned above , long rides , low heartrate
In tagalog , dapat sumakit ay pwet, hindi dibdib

Last edited by Doboltap; 03-30-2009 at 08:46 AM. Reason: world peace!
Old 03-30-2009, 09:26 AM
Cross-country

Quote:
Originally Posted by arci View Post
i just turned 54 yesterday, i'm not that patient to read and try to understand a lot of science behind improving stamina (the reason why siguro that my stamina sucks ).

to share with you some ghetto method on how to improve stamina:

do a lot of climbing on your bike, at the onset it is hard and will induce a lot of pain, as a mountainbiker, never ever be afraid of climbs. eventually the pain becomes tolerable and the stamina develops, "kumakarga" as in cyclist's farlance. then you "enjoy" the climbs

sa umpisa nakakahiya kasi paminsan-minsan naglalakad ka sa ahon or madalas ang hinto mo, pero once you do regular practice on climbs you develop the stamina, as in bihira ka na maglakad sa ahon at bihira ka na ring huminto. IMHO one of the best ahon route northside of town is the SYATGAN trails

napakasarap at iyong babalik-balikan
ka arci, happy birthday! i'm closely "drafting" you as far as age goes...

pareho tayong "old school" as far as tricks & tips on the bike goes. personally i build on my stamina by plain & simply doing the actual conditions regularly. whether it's acclimatizing to riding under a scorching sun, doing climbs, or distance riding... i just keep at it. of course nandun na din yung loading up, hydration, and all other ek-eks before, during, and after.
Old 04-04-2009, 08:40 PM

good day sir essworks.. ano po yung other ek-eks? hope you dont mind sharing.. :-)
Old 04-04-2009, 08:46 PM
All-Mountain

I think it also helps if you relax before and during a climb. It doesn't help to approach a climb, especially steep and long ones, with a racing heart rate. I also try to relax my arms and pedaling, trying my best most of the time to keep myself from gripping the handles too tightly and using it like a paddle. Instead, I try to stay loose and I do my best to stay over the gear that I'm using. Hope this helps.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:42 AM
Cross-country

I'll try this po.
Just got myself a cyclocomp with heart rate monitor.
I like to really improve my stamina, medyo pagod na ako sa kakatanaw sa harap looking for my biking buddies when the dust has settled, hehehe.

Ride safe everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by batanguenoako View Post
A lot of factors can contribute to one's stamina while riding a bike. These factors include age, body composition, diet, general conditioning etc. The way you train would also be very important. Endurance training improves your muscles, respiratory, and cardiovascular system by improving your aerobic capacity.

The Delorme Axiom stated that: "High weight (intensity), low repetition programs builds strength; low weight (low intensity) high repetition exercises build endurance." So for us bikers, high repetition exercises would be beneficial in terms of enhancing our stamina.

From what I can recall from Sports medicine, it is important that you maintain your cardiac rate between 60-85% of your maximum heart rate for at least 30 minutes to improve your cardiac capacity. To compute for your maximum heart rate, you can use the formula below:

220-Age then multiply by 0.6 and 0.85 respectively.

Example:
220-30 = 190
190 X 0.6 = 114
190 X 0.85 = 161.5 or 162
So the target heart rate is between 114-162 bpm

Rest is also important in endurance training. By allowing your body to rest, you allow it to repair torn tissues, remove lactic acid, store glycogen, and remodel itself.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:56 AM
Bike Commuter

there are a lot of other secrets out there, but i think one very big improvement is:

being vegetarian.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:57 AM
All-Mountain

less than a year on the saddle after more than 20years of inactivity... medyo bumalik na yong hataw ng paa, tuhod at hita... more saddle time is the key i believe and if possible, a combo kind of rides is needed... sari-saring rides, basta ride lang ng ride...

but that is just one part of the equation, other factors also are vital... sleeping habits, work disciplines, eating habits, etc..i.e., a person's lifestyle factors in... personally, hirap ako tanggalin yong yosi... i still hope though that someday, i'll say goodbye to this habit
Old 04-08-2009, 11:35 AM

Its pretty simple - just keep riding and everything will improve - stamina, power, etc. This takes time - several months at least and maybe up to a year or more. Muscles do not grow instantly but they eventually will, and your heart, lungs and muscles will slowly adapt to the demands of mountainbiking. Do not be disappointed by your lack of quick progression - there is no such thing as instant fitness. If anything, the most important thing right now - if you are new into mountainbiking is REST so that your body is able to recover after a day of hard riding. Too much riding without allowing your body to heal properly will just result to even less or zero improvement and more frustration.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:20 PM
All-Mountain

@Kuya Arci
Belated Happy Birthday! hehe
Ngayon ko lang uli binasa itong thread. hehe

Napansin ko kasi noong unang nagbike ako at umakyat ng "the wall" legs ang sumakit sa akin causing me to walk.
Ngayon legs are fine at di na kailangan magwalk, pero need to stop kasi sobrang hingal na ako. hehe
Feeling ko di nagiimprove yung hingal ko. Kaya tama yung mga sabi niyo kapag trail/long ride, pacing talaga ang secret.
Sa akyatan di ko sinasabayan ang malalakas. talagang slow lang ako para no walk.
Pero at the end talagang hingal na ang kalaban ko.
Shotgun nga siguro ang solution.
Veterans prescribe once or twice a week climb to shotgun.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmarchie12 View Post
there are a lot of other secrets out there, but i think one very big improvement is:

being vegetarian.
i second the motion. + everyday biking (kahit short basta everyday)
Old 04-08-2009, 10:06 PM
Freeride

suggest ko na din...

play on the mid-ring and granny.
just spin...

and know your own pace and proper cadence.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:53 PM
All-Mountain

ride at least 3x a week.. lalabas yan ng natural
Old 04-08-2009, 11:33 PM
Freeride

...do interval training....

push hard yung medyo edge na ng lactate threshold mo....then recover....paulit-ulit....do series on flat and gentle climbs
Old 04-09-2009, 12:59 AM
Single-Speeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmarchie12 View Post

being vegetarian.
I've never met a vegetarian
where do you get your protein?
Old 04-09-2009, 01:12 AM
Cross-country

If you just want your stamina to get stronger. ride..ride...ride..ride..ride..ride. If you can do 20 miles for 2.5 hrs. Next week or two try to bet that with few minutes lower. Believe me you will get stronger.

Goodluck.
Old 04-09-2009, 03:34 PM
Bike Commuter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doboltap View Post
I've never met a vegetarian
where do you get your protein?
nuts, soy products (tofu, soy milk, etc) and many other foods have sufficient protein.... all of which are basically the best kind of protein!