PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community
Go Back   PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community > Home Trails > General MTBiking Discussion

Notices

General MTBiking Discussion If its about MTB but doesn't fit in the other boards.

Bike Town Cyclery King's Bicycle Store Gran Trail Cycles Global Craze Bikes Newton Multi Sales Decimal Cycle Supply Cycle Art Marketing Deuter backpack, hydration bags & accessories - Dynamic Sports Corp. Comet Cycle Center - SFDM, QC Mars Kingdom Cycle Trading Bike101 Bikeshop Ryder / Maxxis / Infinity Italia / Shimano HitchPro Philippines Red Bike Zone

Old 06-27-2008, 01:10 PM

Default How to overtake a fellow biker on the road without "insulting" them ?

Just wanted to get your opinions on overtaking fellow bikers on the road without "insult". Some bikers kasi get insulted when you overtake them on the road and they tend to run after you and start a race....
Links
Old 06-27-2008, 01:56 PM

Default Re: How to overtake a fellow biker on the road without "insulting" them ?

Say Bike bike bike tabi tabi tabi . Somethings are better left unsaid . Just go when clear if he chases you then have fun , if he cant keep up its not your problem .
Old 06-27-2008, 02:29 PM
Bike Commuter

Default Re: How to overtake a fellow biker on the road without "insulting" them ?

the best way to overtake other bikers is to smile and say "hi" or "good morning" a you pass them. but if you're overtaking a roadie, even with the greeting; they'll sometimes, insulted or not, try to chase you! and the proper response is to drop them if you can!

for me, there are just 2 kinds of roadies. those who understand and embrace suffering, and those who don't; and those who don't are either noobs, posers or freds!

among the roadies who race you when you overtake them, the ones who embrace suffering will enjoy the chase, while the posers will be exposed. so don't worry about offending roadies when overtaking them!
Old 06-27-2008, 02:31 PM
Single-Speeder

same here, everyday I've encountered this scenario.

RESPECT!..... the magic word.

Every time I overtaken a roadie biker I smiled to them or gave a simple wave or saying some appreciation like "Sir, nice Bike!

It is true that they don't want to be overtaken by other bikers. For me, I gave the honor to get ahead of me. Their bike are their only way of transportation due to fare increase or "Nagtitipid sila", just like me. I am a Certified Bike Commuter Everyday!
Old 06-27-2008, 02:36 PM
Freeride

i just let the other rider feel my presence like clearing my throat(when i'm not playing music)so that he'll know which side i'm on then i just pass. if the rider figures into a race, i just ignore him. i never shift when i'm passing a rider-if he hears it, he might think i'm on to a challenge. that's when i'm climbing or on a flat surface. when going downhill, i just shout "bike, bike!!!".
Old 06-27-2008, 02:42 PM
Downhiller

hmm...binati ka o hindi, may i ask why one should feel insulted when another cyclist overtakes him?

personally, happy ako when a fellow cyclist acknowledges my presence whether kasalubong or kasabay..kung hindi naman ok lang...but i never felt insulted in any way by them overtaking me.
Old 06-27-2008, 02:43 PM
Freeride

if you are nearing a roadie (behind him) and then you cleared your throat to indicate your presence, he will sense that you are trying to overtake him without checking you out (or looking back). In an instance, he will set his human nitros and make you bite his dust. That's when you've realized that you don't have to worry about overtaking him! I rest my case!
Old 06-27-2008, 02:43 PM
Downhiller

This often happens to me when I'm near the end of my two hour workout. I usually maintain a certain speed. A reasonable speed to keep the breathing deep but not to point where I'm panting or anything. When I pass bike commuters on their hybrid bikes, they oftentimes give chase. I notice they will do this by first chasing and drafting me, then after some time drafting me, they will then overtake by drafting another vehicle. I just think to myself... Wow ang bilis nya at ang galing nya mag draft and just continue on my cruise

IMO, ignore them and just continue on your way
Old 06-27-2008, 02:47 PM

Just ride with constant speed khit naka-overtake ka na. If siya naman ang umovertake sa yo, then it's up to you to start a race.
Old 06-27-2008, 02:56 PM
All-Mountain

i say good morning or "manong saan ang biyahe", they always smile in response , and never chase me down hehe. most commuters have an instinct to chase you down when you overtake them, i dont know why hehe, i almost always try not to race them but what the heck, its good for training naman eh hahahaha
Old 06-27-2008, 02:57 PM
Freeride

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbaguio View Post
if you are nearing a roadie (behind him) and then you cleared your throat to indicate your presence, he will sense that you are trying to overtake him without checking you out (or looking back). In an instance, he will set his human nitros and make you bite his dust. That's when you've realized that you don't have to worry about overtaking him! I rest my case!
hahaha! that has happened lots of times bro!!! when that happens, then i don't have to worry about passing him. i don't care anyway. as long as i'm more good looking than the guy. if he looks better than me, i'll to try outrun him!
Old 06-27-2008, 03:33 PM
Freeride

maybe there should be another thread: "how to outrun a fellow biker who's trying to overtake you without 'insulting' the former?"
Old 06-27-2008, 03:45 PM

hahaha! i love outrunning roadies since i usually bike around QC circle every other sunday morning., but its hell hard., its true that they wont get insulted because by the time they sense that your coming, they wont give you ample time to overtake them.,

i prefer to outrun jeepney drivers cause they wont give a chase.,

hehe.,

^_^
Old 06-27-2008, 04:26 PM
Cross-country

i am using roadbike during weekdays and mtb during weekend - just say hi with a smile!!!! - followed with if you want a race....hahaha j/k.... we're all matured guys and have to share the road with respect to each other or to our fellow biker - may it RBikers or MTBikers.
Old 06-27-2008, 04:32 PM

The same way I overtake insulted mtbikers! hahahaha...

Just kidding. I always greet them Good morning (I usually bike in the mornings kasi).

I wave, smile and nod my head at every biker I come across roadie or mtbiker. Don't get insulted yourself if your ignored. It'll be their problem not yours.
Links
Old 06-27-2008, 04:53 PM
Global Moderator

normally i just go for it. although i maintain a certain cadence, so as to let the rider i passed that i didn't overtake because i want a race or anything.

sad to say i rarely greet other riders, i can't take my fingers off the brake levers while bike commuting....and i don't think i can be heard with my fullface.
Old 06-27-2008, 04:54 PM
Cross-country

on our night rides, i usually encounter the bike commuters, construction workers in particular on their way home... when i have no choice but to overtake them, kasi petiks lang sila sa pag pedal, they would overtake me back which is really funny, since they really don't need to do it... GIGIL na GIGIL sila sa pag pedal, to the point na malapit na sila mahulog sa saddle dahil sa bilis ng pag pedal nila on a very low gear... It just feels weird, eh hindi naman ako nakikipag-karera sa kanila... seeing this i just let them pass and pinauuna ko na sila sa finish line nila...
Old 06-27-2008, 05:21 PM
All-Mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIG View Post
on our night rides, i usually encounter the bike commuters, construction workers in particular on their way home... when i have no choice but to overtake them, kasi petiks lang sila sa pag pedal, they would overtake me back which is really funny, since they really don't need to do it... GIGIL na GIGIL sila sa pag pedal, to the point na malapit na sila mahulog sa saddle dahil sa bilis ng pag pedal nila on a very low gear... It just feels weird, eh hindi naman ako nakikipag-karera sa kanila... seeing this i just let them pass and pinauuna ko na sila sa finish line nila...
hehehe....this happens to me too almost everyday
padyak lang ng padyak. kung mas mabilis sila fine kung mas mabilis ako sorry
pero enjoy kapag sumasabay sila!
but one thing is common to them, pag may lubak, they reduce speed ako diretso lang!
Old 06-27-2008, 08:14 PM

dont give them "the look"

Old 06-27-2008, 08:42 PM

this is same as driving once they see a car giving signal they will rush to cover the lane (This goes to all drivers) i don't get the point
Links