PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community
Go Back   PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community > Technical Help & Information > Wheels and Tires

Notices

Wheels and Tires Discuss tech help/info for: Tires, Tubes, tubeless, Rims
Spokes, Nipples, Hubs, Skewers and Wheelset.

Bike Town Cyclery King's Bicycle Store Gran Trail Cycles Global Craze Bikes Newton Multi Sales Decimal Cycle Supply Cycle Art Marketing Deuter backpack, hydration bags & accessories - Dynamic Sports Corp. Comet Cycle Center - SFDM, QC Mars Kingdom Cycle Trading Bike101 Bikeshop Ryder / Maxxis / Infinity Italia / Shimano HitchPro Philippines Red Bike Zone

Old 06-17-2008, 05:28 PM

Default Fulcrum Wheelsets

The LBS thats selling the said product (Red Metal 5 in particular) told me that a number of par has been sold...
pls. share your comments...
really need the info...
tnx...

++++++++++++

RedMetal 5 wheels allow all enthusiasts to enter the Fulcrum® Off-Road universe.

Their rim has a specific profile for disc brakes with a height of 19 mm, a bonded joint and black anodized finish. This is the same finish that distinguishes the spokes mounted in a 2:1 Two-to-One™ configuration with 16 elements on the sprocket set and disc side and eight elements on the other. he axles, with a 20 mm diameter both front and rear, run on sealed bearings. The freewheel, with a steel body, turns on sealed bearings.

The total weight is 1805 g, compatibility is guaranteed with standard tyres with rim tape, and the disc assembly option is envisaged in the International Standard and with AFS™, and therefore with the most common braking system.

Average weight*:
front: 821 g
rear: 984 g

* The weight of the wheels does not include the quick release, and it refers to the lightest configuration

Tech:

2:1 Two-to-One™ Spoke Ratio
The 2:1 Two-to-OneTM system has been used for all the rear wheels and for the first time Fulcrum® has also extended their advantages to all the front wheels fitted with disc brakes. The doubling of the spokes on the critical side makes it possible to reduce the unit load borne by each spoke as the spokes themselves are no longer subject to the mechanical stress resulting from the different disc.

Overcoming this drawback the spokes will be able to transfer the forces exerted at the rear by the pedalling traction and at the front by the torsion torque of braking, and give the front wheel previously unknown stability.

Oversize Axle
The hubs designed for Fulcrum® wheels employ a generously dimensioned design for both the central body and for the rotation axis. The diameter of the latter, 20 mm for all the models with disc brakes, guarantees high resistance to transverse and torsional stresses. A contribution is also made to this result by the mechanical architecture of the hub which, in the AFSTM version, is provided with bearings with a double ball-bearing race positioned outside the flange, so that it is aligned with the disc on the respective side.

Last edited by Webot; 03-20-2010 at 03:42 PM.
Links
Old 07-07-2008, 04:23 PM

Default Re: Fulcrum MTB wheelsets...

Comparing the price of the Red Metals (1 & 0) vs. the Crossmax's in Ebay and Amazon, looks like these wheels are more expensive than their counterpart in Mavic. Yup, a review would be nice to have as a reference point given the price difference. :)
Old 07-15-2008, 03:58 PM

Default Fulcrum Wheels

Has anyone tried these wheelsets? I saw a set of Red Metal 1 and they looked really nice! The bladed spokes looks awesome together with the straigh pull spokes. I just want to know if they perform well. Thanks guys.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:43 AM
Cross-country

Default Re: Fulcrum Wheels

Fucrum redmetal 1 is the top end of the fulcrum wheelset. it performs very well and really dependable. no questions with durability, you can do whatever you want with redmetal 1.. and i think fulcrum is the official wheelset in the olympics 08..... chow:thumbsup:
Old 11-29-2008, 08:32 AM
Bike Commuter

Default Fulcrum Red Metal Wheelsets

Anyone who can share any information on the Fulcrum Red Metal Wheelsets?
(experience on performance, durability, service, replacement parts, pricing, etc.)

Also, any info in comparison with other leading wheelset brands would help.

I know it's manufactured by Campagnolo (known for road bikes), but haven't read much reviews about it on MTBs.
Thanks!
Old 01-12-2009, 04:23 PM

Default Fulcrum Red Metal 3 or equivalent

Anyone using? would love to hear your comment.

What other sub-25K wheelset can you guys recommend. Thanks
Old 11-09-2009, 10:19 PM

Default Anyone using Fulcrum Red Metal Wheelset?

Guys need your help where I can buy bearing replacements for the hub and free hub. Tried the LBS and other bearing centers but it seems the bearing size for the wheelset is not standard.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:06 AM
Bike Commuter

Default Re: Fulcrum Red Metal Wheelsets

I've used Red Metal 5's on my Giant XTC SE2 hard tail. Without a doubt they are very good wheelsets. They roll very smoothly and when I was coming down a tarmac hill together with a friend who had Mavic Crossrides, my bike would go down faster when both of us were not pedalling. He was very surprised.

They also look very good and are quite light. Remember that these are made by Campagnolo. Quality should be there and it's good value for money.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:24 AM

how about the entry level fulcrum red metal 10?
Old 03-15-2010, 09:34 AM
Cross-country

Fulcrum Red Metal 3 user here. So far I have no complains, I took a gamble when I bought it, since its a new brand locally. But so far the its has not let me down, despite my 200++ lbs weight, it has stayed true. And finally, I notice that people here are obsessed with loud hubs or "tunong mayaman", you wont be disappointed with Fulcrum, they are loud.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:55 PM

i've bought a red metal 5 and tried it today. napansin ko lang na when i hit the brakes, meron siyang konting slack sa hubs. napansin ko ito pag nakahinto tapos magbrakes ka. medyo may slack cya sa hubs ng konti kahit dina gumagalaw yung rotor. unlike sa mga other hubs na pag nagbrakes ka e hindi talaga gumagalaw.

brand new po ito kc naka box pa nung binigay sakin.

normal po ba ito? tnx...
Old 03-15-2010, 07:24 PM

Im using a Red Metal 5. I've used it for almost 2 months now and it performs well...I use a Kenda Nev 2.1 along with it and 7" alligator rotors...I have no complains about it. It's worth the amount I got it. Rolls smoothly, has a "bling noise". Not as loud as the Hope hubs but it will do. Design is nice...

To Russ, since you got yours straight from the box, maybe you can go to local LBS. Where is your location? If your near Paranaque, go to Bike Station, I got mine there. Grantrail also carries it.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:52 PM

well i just want to confirm kung design ba nya talaga ito. wala nmang problema sa wheelset ko especially sa performance. ang sarap gamitin at lightweight tlaga.
Old 03-16-2010, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ View Post
well i just want to confirm kung design ba nya talaga ito. wala nmang problema sa wheelset ko especially sa performance. ang sarap gamitin at lightweight tlaga.
Yup, it has a little slack to it, kinda bothered me at first and after a while i became quite used to it. Been using the 2009 model for quite some time now, quite durable too. One thing ive noticed, the 2010 models are not quite as "loud" as the 2009s, i dont know if it has differences in performance. The difference between the 5s and the 10s are the weight, basically everything else is the same.
Fulcrum has great customer service abroad (technical@fulcrumwheels.com), hope they offer the same here. The local distributor is 3T, the same people that carries SRAM, RockShox, etc.. Hope this helps.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:41 AM
Bike Commuter

Sirs, Any information on the prices of the following Fulcrum Wheelset products:

Red Metal 10 = P?

Red Metal 5 = P?

Red Metal 3 = P?

What LBS carriest it?
Old 03-16-2010, 08:58 AM
Lurker

Default Re: Fulcrum Red Metal 3 or equivalent

I am using Fulcrum Redmetal 3 and i like the performance
Old 03-16-2010, 09:07 PM

Red Metal 10 user here, been using it for 2 months already, used it mostly on road and it really rolls very well, i had a friend who is using a very well known rim with a very well known and expensive hub, pero nauunahan ko sya pag downhill tapos free wheeling kami kaya it really surprises me considering sa layo ng price ng wheelset namin. Sa trail naman, tried it on fort boni and aguinaldo trails, so far ok pa naman sya, true pa ikot nya. Also, the lbs told me that it came with a 2 years warranty.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekim75 View Post
Sirs, Any information on the prices of the following Fulcrum Wheelset products:

Red Metal 10 = P?

Red Metal 5 = P?

Red Metal 3 = P?

What LBS carriest it?
10 = P8,500 to P9,000
5 = P12,500 to 13,500
3 = P20,000 to P24,000

this was the cost range as i recall, try calling extreme bikeshop, they everything on stock last i checked.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:47 AM

Been using Fulcrum Red Metal 5 for more than a month now. Straight from the box, it was silent but after about 50 km of ride, it became noisy but not as noisy as the Hope hub. It has 24 aero spokes, 16 on the brake side, and 8 on the other side. Its quite light, well, compared to the Single Track i was used to for more than 5 years. Sits well and centered on my bike and no need to adjust the spokes and rotation is sweet and smooth as silk. It came with nice looking skewers too.

Jumped 3 feet already and it held its form. Great performance for a 9.5K wheelset. Will give you updates as they age on my bike.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:58 AM

@ davinci.

oo nga nung una kala ko merong problema sa hubs kc nga sa little slack.
pro nung i started to use it, napakaswabe at ganda ng roll. medyo hindi nga cya maingay pro champion nman sa gaan.

sa mga fulcrum users check nyo nga kung napansin nyo rin yung little slack sa hubs.

tnx..
Links