PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community
Go Back   PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community > Home Trails > Newbie's Frequently Asked Questions

Newbie's Frequently Asked Questions For newbies who wanted to ask any info on mountainbiking stuff.

Bike Town Cyclery King's Bicycle Store MT Pro Bikes Gran Trail Cycles Global Craze Bikes Newton Multi Sales G. C. Cyclist Decimal Cycle Supply Cycle Art Marketing IronBike.net MyNextBike.com Azione Sports ISOLINK Mtb Suspension System Deuter backpack, hydration bags & accessories - Dynamic Sports Corp. Comet Cycle Center - SFDM, QC Mars Kingdom Cycle Trading Bike101 Bikeshop Ryder / Maxxis / Infinity Italia / Shimano Business Venture 888 - 12 O'Clock Bike Components Parts and Accessories.

Old 12-03-2008, 06:26 PM

Default alivio or deore

I was thinking of buying a full sus bike. One has an alivio the other has a deore. The price difference is between the 2 models is 10K. I'm not a hard core biker, I will just use it for fitness and occassional very light trails. Is the price difference worth it or should I just buy the model with the alivio?

Links
Old 12-03-2008, 06:41 PM
Bike Commuter

Default Re: alivio or deore

alivio gamit ko. ok naman performance walang problema ni isa tapos mura pa. kung hardcore ka deore. kung wala masyadong pera like me alivio na kunin mo. wag v-break ha disc brake kunin mo para poging-pogi.

Old 12-03-2008, 07:48 PM
Freeride

sure ka ba na pangfitness lang talaga? kasi ako ganyan rin sinabi ko dati... ayun upgrade ng upgrade... if you have the budget for the deore, get that one... otherwise i hope the upgrade virus doesn't bite you... i've been using my deore components for over a year na.

Old 12-03-2008, 07:50 PM
Downhiller

malaki na ang 10k difference for such a bike na deore/alivio parts level. +1 alivio...

Old 12-03-2008, 07:57 PM
Freeride

Alivio po bossing... its more practical pag Php10k ang diff.
plus for fitness and light trails lang naman eh.

possibly in the future,
+Php5k or less, upgrade it to 9-speed cogs,shifters,chain na lang.
then...
sell the parts dun sa mga mapapalitan mo if you're going 9-speed, so mababawasan pa yung Php5k.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:00 PM
PMTB Mentor

if what you say is true............

you don't need a fulsus bike for your purpose, buy a decent hardtail bike and slap it with a deore, it will at least close the 10K gap and give you a decent drivetrain system that will stay with you even if the upgradeitis virus bite you

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcc View Post
I was thinking of buying a full sus bike. One has an alivio the other has a deore. The price difference is between the 2 models is 10K. I'm not a hard core biker, I will just use it for fitness and occassional very light trails. Is the price difference worth it or should I just buy the model with the alivio?

Old 12-03-2008, 08:03 PM
Freeride

Quote:
Originally Posted by arci View Post

you don't need a fulsus bike for your purpose, buy a decent hardtail bike and slap it with a deore, it will at least close the 10K gap and give you a decent drivetrain system that will stay with you even if the upgradeitis virus bite you
tama din si Sir Arci. hehehe
Better advice actually...

Old 12-03-2008, 08:05 PM

Quote:

I have a cannondale hardtail with sram. Sakit sa pwet yun hardtail kasi uneven roads dito sa amin. Ang thinking ko kasi its better to have a ful sus bike than a hardtail with a midlevel drivetrain. Tama ba?

Old 12-03-2008, 08:21 PM
Bike Commuter

Quote:
I have a cannondale hardtail with sram. Sakit sa pwet yun hardtail kasi uneven roads dito sa amin. Ang thinking ko kasi its better to have a ful sus bike than a hardtail with a midlevel drivetrain. Tama ba?
There is a cane creek thudbuster na para syang suspension na seatpost kng ang habol mo lang is para dun sa sitting comfort since gagamitin mo lang naman for fitness and light trails para di sayang ang pera.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:51 PM
PMTB Mentor

ayun naman pala eh

go for that FS alivio para sa comfortable riding diyan sa technical terrain sa inyo

Quote:

Old 12-03-2008, 09:24 PM
Freeride

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy2k5 View Post
Alivio po bossing... its more practical pag Php10k ang diff.
plus for fitness and light trails lang naman eh.

possibly in the future,
+Php5k or less, upgrade it to 9-speed cogs,shifters,chain na lang.
then...
sell the parts dun sa mga mapapalitan mo if you're going 9-speed, so mababawasan pa yung Php5k.
ay! oo nga! 10k diff pala. teka? pano nangyari yun? pag bibili ka ng groupset ng alivio vs deore hindi naman 10k diff a?

@jcc sure ka ba na yung drive train lang ang difference? what about suspension same lang rin?

Old 12-03-2008, 09:25 PM

save the 10k and get the alivio. if you dont like it you can always upgrade later on to deore, slx, xt etc.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:59 PM
Suspended

If I were under a tight budget, I'd appreciate the Alivio groupset and will find its performance just right for the cost. But if I had some money to burn, I'd go with Deore groupset and will enjoy the performance difference and/or weight difference from Alivio.

My budget hardtail has Alivio. So far I'm very much happy with the performance, considering that I have XT on my full-sus.

If you save 10k, then go Alivio!

Old 12-03-2008, 10:05 PM
Downhiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronchicharon View Post
ay! oo nga! 10k diff pala. teka? pano nangyari yun? pag bibili ka ng groupset ng alivio vs deore hindi naman 10k diff a?

@jcc sure ka ba na yung drive train lang ang difference? what about suspension same lang rin?
guess ko lang po ito, may be the frame, handle bars, etc., magkaiba, so it is not on the group set alone that lies the difference. esep esep lang po.

Old 12-03-2008, 10:10 PM
Freeride

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronchicharon View Post

sa tingin ko, kaya ganun kasi built-bike na bibilhin nya. Loko tlga mga bike companies...

Links
Old 12-03-2008, 10:24 PM

Iba rin pala yun specs...

Specifically khs xc004 at khs xc104 pinagpipilian ko. Eto po yun mga link...

http://www.khsbicycles.com/03_xc_104_09.htm

http://www.khsbicycles.com/03_xc_004_07.htm

Worth it ba yun 10K difference?

Old 12-03-2008, 10:28 PM
Suspended

Quote:

Ayun, so KHS XC-series pala ang pinag-uusapan natin! I've seen the KHS xc004 and xc104 at Sabak Makati. One of the differences I noticed was the rear shock. Both have coil shocks, but the 104 has rebound adjust while the 004 is preload adjust only. I would rather get the XC-104.

Old 12-04-2008, 05:57 AM
Downhiller

Quote:

i didnt saw deore parts on the xc104. anyway, i'd reco the xc004 for your requirements. save your 10k and upgrade na lang yung fork to a dart 3 or better yet to a tora. meron pa matitira for other parts.

Old 12-04-2008, 07:39 AM
Downhiller

Quote:
OT
maybe:
1. your tires have too much air
2. you just need to replace your saddle with a softer (and/or wider) one
3. you just need to adjust the fore-aft position of the saddle
3. other factors (body weight, wrong fit) which may cause pain but does not necessarily mean it's because you're using a HT.

baka nakatipid ka pa kasi your existing bike only needs to be tinkered a bit.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:00 AM
All-Mountain

Quote:

Amen to this. This is the best way forward... at the price point you're talking about are you sure you're getting a properly designed FS bike? Just because it's FS doesn't mean they're all created equal. You may be better of with a HT and better components.

Links