PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community
Go Back   PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community > Technical Help & Information > Other Parts and Accessories

Notices

Other Parts and Accessories Tech info/help for: Headset, Handlebar, Handle Post, Grips
Hydration bags, Lighting Products, Cyclo-computer, SPDs, Clipless
and other Accessories and parts not found on other categories.

Bike Town Cyclery King's Bicycle Store Gran Trail Cycles Global Craze Bikes Newton Multi Sales Decimal Cycle Supply Cycle Art Marketing Deuter backpack, hydration bags & accessories - Dynamic Sports Corp. Comet Cycle Center - SFDM, QC Mars Kingdom Cycle Trading Bike101 Bikeshop Ryder / Maxxis / Infinity Italia / Shimano HitchPro Philippines Red Bike Zone

Old 06-22-2008, 11:15 PM

Default Platform pedals

migrated from proboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinomeng
does everybody in the world pro dh racers use clipless pedals? is it really true?
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthrax76
not everybody but i believe 10 time World Champ Nicolas Vouilloz does (use clipless).
Quote:
Originally Posted by puregutz
Not everyone. Here's some who uses platform:
1. Sam Hill
2. Chris Kovarik
3. Nathan Rennie
4. Mickel Pascal
5. Puregutz ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax
it depends on the track. not all the pro riders here in oz use platforms. for 4x especially a lot will use clipless coz its helps a lot out of the gates and you can take that extra pedal on clipless where you cant on platforms. it is proven that being on clipless is faster than platforms. especially in bmx here. if a rider changes from platforms to clipless he will also have to go up a gear coz you tend to pedal more on clips.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadesingson
One thing that bugs me with flat pedal shoes is grip once you need to hike up a trail. still looking for the perfect flat trail shoes. here are some of my personal experiences with some flatshoes available in the market

Here's some feedback on shoes:

1. 5.10's/intense shoes are great. but they eventually disintegrate because of the mud. the soles are glued and they tend to rip out in chunks. mine lasted under a year. they are great though for pedal performance and if you have difficult hike a bikes - they grip rocks and roots well. but once the rubber gets torn, it usually means that it will just be a matter of time before they are RIP
2. Vans - they work great, but are slip slidey once you have to hike a bike. had a couple of rides in vans where i got more injuries walking up the mountain than riding :) they have glued soles, but due to the depth of the rubber - you can have mr quickie sew them for better durability. Really slippery off the pedals though. also minimal cushioning means your knees will take a beating
3. Nike Whistlers - they are available locally (the distributor if trek/giant also carry nike cycling). They are great cause out of the box they are already sewn and have sticky rubber soles. but since they are flat, they are a bit inferior to 5.10's on hike a bikes but bettern than vans.

am still looking for shoes that have flat arches like traditional skate/bmx shoes, but can grip well in difficult hikes such as grotto, james wat, or peak 2. the one that has held of well so far are the nikes - they have outlasted my vans and the 5.10s and are worth the price i paid for them. am tempted to get the marzocchi 5.10s but unfortunately durability has really put me off. Boyet btw swears by etnies. never tried them. hans rey likes using Addidas hiking shoes while riding, but he compensates for he raised arch by keeping the flats on the front part of his feet.

just my 2 cents...
Links
Old 02-15-2010, 07:52 AM

Default recommended platform pedal dj,street

Good morning PMTB!:)

recently, i bought wellgo MG-1 platform pedal from which I had read from MTBR and recommended from the other thread which is very light and strong and recommended for DH and all mountain but not clearly suggested for dj and street.:) and for just 3 weeks of daily usage bike to work with added street hopping and drop, the sealed bearing broke..:sigh:

Diagnosis: i think it is not intended for my kind of bike discipline.
Help: I just want to ask from the gurus here what brand of somehow light yet is intended and recommended for dj and aggressive street riding? tia:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by billykane_kof99 View Post
Good morning PMTB!:)

Help: I just want to ask from the gurus here what brand of somehow light yet is intended and recommended for dj and aggressive street riding? tia:)
@mod levi

sir, think my question is closely related to the other thread which is in dj and urban assault and not for downhill. tia:)

Last edited by billykane_kof99; 02-15-2010 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Automerge, please use EDIT button to ADD/EDIT your recent post.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:39 AM
Bike Commuter

Default Re: platform pedal users?

try the venzo platform pedals. its light and tough. just be careful with your shins. i bought it in paulinas.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:35 PM
All-Mountain

Default Re: recommended platform pedal dj,street

@Billykane: I've been using wellgo pedals for almost 6 months now, my friends have been using them even longer, and we routinely use them for DJs and aggressive street, even bmx riders use them, hindi pa naman nasisira.

What kind of wellgos did you get? Did you get the shiny ones? Marupok kasi plastic nun e, bunnyhops lang nasisira na, look for Wellgos that use the dull faded looking plastic, polycarbonate yun, yun yung matibay.

Tested na yun, btw they don't have sealed bearings, loose bearings lang yun. I tend to look at pedals as consumable parts, like tires, grips and brake pads, pag napudpod na, bili ng bago, so mura lang yun binibili ko, 450 a pair, di na ako naghahanap ng sealed bearing, mas mahal kasi yun e.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:09 AM

@sir peekay, sir ganitong model binili ko 3 weeks ago. pero white color.
wellgo mg-1 nag loose yung spindle cap then nag move na sideways ung body sa spindle. eto ung specs ng pedal:
BMX/DOWNHILL
Body: Magnesium, painted color
Spindle: CNC machined, Cr-Mo
Bearing: Sealed / DU bushing
Size: 114.6 * 106.2 * 30.8[mm]
Weight: 376 g/pr
Pin: Replaceable pin
Origin: Taiwan

sir ask ko lang kung marecommend mo ung truvativ holzfeller tia:)
@samurai

sir, i'm having second opinion of getting venzo pedals also.:) thank you for your recommendation.:)
Old 02-16-2010, 09:21 AM
Downhiller

guys ingat lang sa platform pedals with pins, like yung truvativ holzfeller, and dabomb.

ang sakit sa shin... araykupo ang lalim pag bumaon.
Old 11-25-2010, 10:00 PM

Default Specialized Pedals

Maganda kaya to?
Magkano kaya specialized platform pedal dito sa pinas?

Picture below

thanks
Old 11-25-2010, 11:42 PM
Cross-country

Default Re: Specialized Pedals

I think it is similar to mob, it's just a little bit thiner.
You can inquire sir in our sponsors thread about the price.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:18 AM
Bike Commuter

Default Strongest platform pedal brand/model?

Lagi na lang kasi nasisira mga pedal ko. Lagi na na lang kasi nasisira yung berings around after 3-4 months of daily bike to work (44kms balikan).

Clipless pedals are out of the question, platforms work best for me on urban setting. Thanks po!
Old 08-03-2011, 11:28 AM
Cross-country

Default Re: Strongest platform pedal brand/model?

Try mo yung mga naka sealed bearings na pedals.

Xpedo, Exustar, DaBomb (mukang matibay 'to dahil pang downhill), Kore, Syncros, etc.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:34 AM
Bike Commuter

im using exustar pedals.... so far, maganda performance niya..... sealed bearing din....
Old 08-03-2011, 11:35 AM

I use Xpedo,durable talaga, it can certainly handle any abuses you can imagine.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:14 PM
Single-Speeder

if you can find shimano dx platform pedals, that would be my bet. it was the pioneer sa mga uber wide pedals noon pa during my bmx days when everyone was still using rat trap pedals. a brother and one neighbor still use them on their mtbs. i looked for a pair when i was assembling my full suspension bike but they are kind of rare these days, so opted for something that resembled it - an xpedo mx-13 or mx-B.

nowadays, marami nang companies that make nearly indestructible platforms. besides xpedo, check out syncros and a host of other brands. even e-13, a chainguide brand, produced one recently. exustars can be a cheaper alternative, just make sure cro-moly ang spindles.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:26 PM
Bike Commuter

im using KORE, solid!!! tinatamaan ng bato to minsan pag mag trail, tibay pa rin, di man lang nag bend.. paulinas ko nabili..

http://www.kore-usa.com/products/ped...edbearing.html
Old 08-03-2011, 07:57 PM
Freeride

Truvativ sealed bearing pedals sir, di ko lang po alam ang model (ipinasa lang kasi ng brother ko). Yun pong parang pang dirtjump ang lapad. Matibay na matibay po, medyo pricey nga lang ng konti.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:15 PM
All-Mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by iansze View Post
I use Xpedo,durable talaga, it can certainly handle any abuses you can imagine.
My vote goes to xpedo as well. Been using it for two years now. Epic rides, trails, bike commute, river crossings and I had a nasty spill where the pedal skidded on the cement. Has a lot of scratches and bruises now (parang yung rider) but its still working perfectly.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:35 PM
Freeride

xpedo face-off

Old 08-26-2011, 11:26 PM
All-Mountain

Default Re: About platform pedals

exustar e-pm90b comfort pedals user here...

maliit lang pero matibay... sabak sa ulan pero hindi dumudulas...

+100 points para dito...
Old 08-27-2011, 08:14 PM
Freeride

shimano dx pedals, may pasunod na pins yun,long and short pins. ung short lng ginagmit ko. 2yrs ko na gamit, rain or shine, smooth pa din. :)
Old 08-28-2011, 07:06 PM
Bike Commuter

Is it true na mabilis dw pong kumalog ung MOB pedals?? shinare lng ng mechanic..

Tags
pedal, platform, specialized