PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community
Go Back   PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community > Home Trails > Riding and Training Techniques

Notices

Riding and Training Techniques Share your training, riding tips & race strategy.

Bike Town Cyclery King's Bicycle Store Gran Trail Cycles Global Craze Bikes Newton Multi Sales Decimal Cycle Supply Cycle Art Marketing Deuter backpack, hydration bags & accessories - Dynamic Sports Corp. Comet Cycle Center - SFDM, QC Mars Kingdom Cycle Trading Bike101 Bikeshop Ryder / Maxxis / Infinity Italia / Shimano HitchPro Philippines Red Bike Zone

Old 02-26-2013, 03:36 PM
Single-Speeder

Default Re: Does a hardtail bike make you respect the trail a bit more?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundam168 View Post
Try going fast over the ordinary streethump on a hardtail.

Seated.

Now that's fun...

to watch.
kaya yung katawan ko automatic na tumatayo kapag may humps or rough patches sa kalsada.
Links
Old 02-26-2013, 05:21 PM
Bike Freak

fulsus makes you "lazy"

how many times were you able to clear something gnarly and thought, 'wow, buti na lang kaya ng bike ko ...'

of course it's a big help to get you riding on rougher terrain, to ride faster etc. i love my fullsus, but I built up a lot of my skills on my first bike, a hardtail. would be good to ride a hardtail or even fully rigid bike once in a while though
Old 02-26-2013, 08:55 PM
Bike Fanatic

I personally wouldn't say "lazy". I just become more comfortable. I still stand on the rough stuff, I still pick my lines as usual. I go a bit faster going downhill, but my riding style doesn't change much. I just feel less beat up. I rode my hardtail two days ago on the same trail I used my FS in last week. I didn't change my riding style. I didn't go that much slower either. I just felt a bit more beat up in the joints, and in my saddle contact points, but that's about it. If I wan't to go on a long trail ride, I would still pick my FS because I still have to go to work afterwards, pero it's no problem to use my hardtail.

It's an individual thing I guess. Some riders do get lazy, but I don't like the generalization. In technical terrain, if you go too fast and don't pick your lines well, you'll still crash. So I respect the trail regardless of what bike I use.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:58 PM
All-Mountain

for me magkaiba attitude ko when using FS vs HT
Sa trails mas sinasadya kong idaan sa bumps pagnaka FS masarap kasi feeling ng patalbog talbog hehe.

Sa HT iniiwasan ko naman ung bumps masyado kasing maalog. I use my hardtail kung long ride at roads lang but for trails mas enjoy ako sa fulsus.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:30 PM
Bike Commuter

I do not believe in "Different MTBs, Different uses" (except for DH extremists and races of course)

It's more like "Different MTBs, Different useRs"

Nasa rider kung ano talaga trip niya. Both my bikes are now rigid steel, and I believe I am much faster than when I had suspension. Mas predictable sa trail (simple physics of rigid as opposed to having to estimate suspension correction pag may lubak), at mas madali i-ahon para sa akin.

Yun nga lang, nakasira na ako ng 2 Bottom brackets last year.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:16 PM
Bike Freak

I think the problem is when people rely too much on the bike vs. refining their skills. and an FS bike does leave a lot more room for error vs. a HT. i see waaaay too many riders planting their assess on their saddle, not moving their body enough to weight/unweight the bike, lean back when it gets gnarly, etc basically not moving their body enough to control the bike.

of course you can learn all the right skills regardless of the bike, but a HT will force you more I think
Old 02-27-2013, 01:41 PM
Global Moderator

i agree with marcs, most of the talented guys i know honed their skills in BMX. i'm not saying use BMX on the trail but their skills we're already dialled in by the time they used MTB's. a little adjustment happens but they can adapt quickly to the change of bike.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:34 PM
Bike Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcs View Post
I think the problem is when people rely too much on the bike vs. refining their skills. and an FS bike does leave a lot more room for error vs. a HT. i see waaaay too many riders planting their assess on their saddle, not moving their body enough to weight/unweight the bike, lean back when it gets gnarly, etc basically not moving their body enough to control the bike.

of course you can learn all the right skills regardless of the bike, but a HT will force you more I think
Yeah. Point well taken. Di masyadong uso dito ang FS so I guess I don't have many guys to compare myself to. Notice ko nga sa Luzon malaki ang proportion ng FS users compared to my area, so you tend to see more of the "lazy" riders.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:42 PM
Bike Freak

I guess this guy says it best.

"Let me preface this by saying, I love suspension. The more the better. What modern day suspension designs have done for the sport of mountain biking is amazing. We are able to ride terrain with speed and control that just wasn’t possible in the early years. Fast, technical riding has been brought to a larger audience and this means more technical, fast trails for the rest of us as efficient suspension designs bring this riding to the mass market.

However, there is one glaring negative to suspension that no one thinks about…

Modern day dual suspension designs make you incredibly lazy and hide your mistakes amongst the travel. It’s true. How many times have you thought to yourself, “holy crap my bike pulled me out of that one”? Over time, you become completely reliant on the suspension of the bike completely forgetting about your most important suspension component…your body.

Your arms and legs are the most important suspension component in mountain biking that you could ever tune. With the built in crutch of increased travel on more climbable suspension mountain bikes, riders today are forgetting that all of their control, skill and ability to become a better mountain biker is actually controlled in their arms and legs…not the bike."

http://www.bike198.com/riding-rigid-suspension/
Old 02-27-2013, 09:20 PM
Downhiller

it's a sign marcs. pull the trigger on the ss singlespeed 29er rigid. i shall ride with you.

on to mordor!
Old 02-27-2013, 09:35 PM
Bike Freak

may rigid na ko, 16inch .... hehehe

cool down muna sa pagbili. mainit pa kay misis.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:13 AM
Bike Commuter

I'm enjoying keeping up with my friends on FullSus, while on my rigid 29er hardtail. I sometimes choose different lines than them, in order to keep up with them, which I'm able to most of the time.

Sometimes, it's the other way around and I'm the one in the lead, and they will sometimes make the mistake of choosing the same lines as me, and it doesn't work out for them.

I guess the choices made are different, between rigid, HT and FS. But to answer the OP's question: Yes, you do "respect" the trail more because the margin of error is much smaller.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:28 AM
All-Mountain

Thumbs up Re: Does a hardtail bike make you respect the trail a bit more?

Amen on this one.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:31 AM
All-Mountain

I think it you should respect the trails wether on a FS or HT! Injury and accident is lurking all the time...

They have thier own advantages and disadvantages

HT on climbs, FS on decents...important is you enjoy your rig!
Links