PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community
Go Back   PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community > Technical Help & Information > All About DriveTrain

Notices

All About DriveTrain Discuss tech help/info on: Rear/Front Deraileur, Cranks
Bottom Bracket, Chains, Sprockets and Shifters.

Bike Town Cyclery King's Bicycle Store Gran Trail Cycles Global Craze Bikes Newton Multi Sales Decimal Cycle Supply Cycle Art Marketing Deuter backpack, hydration bags & accessories - Dynamic Sports Corp. Comet Cycle Center - SFDM, QC Mars Kingdom Cycle Trading Bike101 Bikeshop Ryder / Maxxis / Infinity Italia / Shimano HitchPro Philippines Red Bike Zone

Old 07-14-2011, 02:44 PM
All-Mountain

Default Re: BB Press and Threaded ones

Ang sa akin lang kasi sana pag nag upgrade ang mga bike companies sana naman ay yung makikita mo ang benefit like 9mm drop out to 15-20mm TA standard head tube to tapered etc. In this case parang pa atras ata. IMO Napakadali i-maintain ng threaded ones kahit every week mong linisin di mo na kelangan pang dalahin sa suking mekanik mo.
Links
Old 07-14-2011, 03:34 PM

Default Re: BB Press and Threaded ones

well, the bigger the diameter the stiffer it can be. as an example, if you've used a thru axle fork versus a QR fork, the fork isn't as twisty when turning a corner, so you can ride your bike on the line you want.

for the bottom bracket, the larger pressfit BBs enable the manufacturer to up the stiffness and affect your pedaling more positively. minimizing flex in this area means the power you drive into the pedals will be translated into actual wheel movement. that is why they've moved from square tapered BBs to external BBs, because of the larger diameter. now, they've made the pressfit BBs so you can just fit the BB inside your frame and have the larger diameter of it do a more positive effect on your pedalling.

@boss: may point ka rin naman, to drive their sales. pero sa mga taong seeking performance, they drive the research. so when research says that it is effective, why not sell it? cguro di naman talaga para sa atin yun market na tinatarget nila... may mga early adopters pa rin of every technology, and eventually people will shift to that tech or find a better one instead.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:56 PM
Bike Commuter

Default The Pros and Cons of a press fit bottom bracket

Quote:
Mod's Note: PLEASE DO A SEARCH BEFORE CREATING NEW THREAD to avoid cluttering the board with redundant thread..

This will keep the forum from getting cluttered with repetitive threads, or look beyond the first page of forum (on the bottom right is the back pages links). Posts that are discussing the same subject may be closed or merged or deleted. Please note that some merged topics may have a changed title to reflect the topic better.

By searching prior to creating new thread, you will help yourself by find a solution sooner, and keep the newer problems in focus.

More info

Hi PMTB people, newbie here. I'm using an XTC Giant frame with a press fit BB. I'm curious about this and would really appreciate if you would share the pros and cons. What are the preventions and how to maintain it in tip top shape. Thanks in anticipation.

PS:

I'm not pretty sure if there's already an existing thread about this, I searched but found nothing. I apologize if there's already an existing one (or maybe naka-archived na). :)
Old 02-09-2012, 10:29 PM
Bike Commuter

Default Re: The Pros and Cons of a press fit bottom bracket

I'm curious about press fits also hehe...I think most frame builders will be switching to this soon.

Last edited by kwapsi; 02-09-2012 at 10:30 PM. Reason: revised
Old 03-20-2012, 06:46 PM
Downhiller

Default Re: Press Fit Bottom Bracket

revive ko lang ito mga sir, serviceable ba ang shimano press fit BB? palagay ko kasi dun galing yun squeaking sound pag pumepedal ako. thanks
Old 03-21-2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:
revive ko lang ito mga sir, serviceable ba ang shimano press fit BB? palagay ko kasi dun galing yun squeaking sound pag pumepedal ako. thanks
Yes sir serviceable ang pressfit BB.. maraming tutorial sa youtube or sa google.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:39 PM
All-Mountain

im not sure kung tama ginawa ko pero hindi ko nilagyan ng spacers yung BB kasi nung nilagyan ko kahit anong adjust pigil yung ikot nya napansin ko yung spacers pumipigil sa ikot.. tama kaya ginawa ko?
Old 10-31-2012, 05:31 PM
Lurker

Default Re: BB (bottom bracket) Press Fit and Threaded ones

mga sir,

May nagtangka na ba sa inyo na maglagay ng shimano press fit adapter sa GXP na bb?

Medyo nahihirapan kasi ako bumili ng frame ngayon. Gusto ko kasi sana ilipat ung drivetrain ko kaso mga recent models ay puro press fit na ang bb.

Kung may nakagawa na, nakitang ginawa, or nagfail gawin, please share the knowledge!

thank you!
Old 12-21-2012, 10:06 AM
Freeride

this is fairly an old thread.. anyway, i just want to share:

last night, I open my 2 year old XT bottom bracket which is never been serviced since I bought it.. After removing the seals, I was amazed that the inside was pretty much intact with original grease still inside.. and this is not limited to the bearings, the hollow cup that holds the connecting rod of the crankset was so clean that no single spec of dirt can be seen.. And this is from the bike that suffers from countless river crossings, last of which is the 40 river crossing (back and forth) in Kinabuan Falls.. and to add to all of these, I always clean my bike after every ride using a water hose regardless of its dirt condition..

and by the way, I serviced two of my bikes BB last night.. the other is a Deore and it is busted from inside out due to dirt..

unfortunately, I only realized that I should took a picture of these two BB for comparison after I assembled them..

I would definitely buy an XT BB again if needed..
Old 12-22-2012, 04:24 AM
All-Mountain

guys.. i have a merida TFS 300 with a shimano Octalink crankset. lately i have been hearing this creaking noise when i am on the big ring, and it gets louder as time progresses.
I was toying with the idea of upgrading the drivetrain to an XT crankset/groupset, but i have come as far as being able to remove the cranks/rings from the BB to see if i can service this myself (medyo may katigasan ng ulo, at tinatamad ako pumunta LBS, pero more of an itch to upgrade kaya willing makasira ng parts haha)..

NOW, how do i take out the BB? is this a single piece na pwede ko pukpukin para kumalas, as i dont see any bolts or thread holding this to the frame or itself... ilang araw na ako nagreresearch sa youtube on how to do it and puro may bolt/thread ung nakikita kong tinatanggal na BB. help!

TIA.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:55 AM
Single-Speeder

^ Threaded type ang octalink you'll need a special tool to remove it.

http://youtu.be/qPifUrklFug
Old 12-22-2012, 08:54 AM
All-Mountain

Besides the puller, yung BB tool na ganito P250 bili ng kasama ko...

Old 12-22-2012, 08:42 PM
All-Mountain

thanks guys! ung BB tool na lang pala kulang ko hehe.. buti di ko naisipan na pukpukin, kundi sapilitang palit at baka pati frame masira pa hehe
Old 12-22-2012, 09:01 PM
Global Moderator

yung isang side ng octalink bb eh plastic. so kung pupukpukin mo....lagot, he he.
Links

Tags
bottom bracket, crankset