PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community
Go Back   PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community > Home Trails > Folding Bikes

Folding Bikes Discussion for Folding Bikes

Bike Town Cyclery King's Bicycle Store Gran Trail Cycles Global Craze Bikes Newton Multi Sales G. C. Cyclist Decimal Cycle Supply Cycle Art Marketing IronBike.net MyNextBike.com Azione Sports Deuter backpack, hydration bags & accessories - Dynamic Sports Corp. Comet Cycle Center - SFDM, QC Mars Kingdom Cycle Trading Bike101 Bikeshop Ryder / Maxxis / Infinity Italia / Shimano HitchPro Philippines

Closed Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 03:32 PM

Default Re: folding bikes

minsan kasi hindi mo maiwasan gumastos eh. pag nandiyan na yung bike mo, dami mo ng naiisip na palitan. ganoon yata talaga eh. kahit paunti-unti lang. para hindi mo masyadong ramdam ang gastos.

Links
Old 08-12-2013, 03:36 PM
Cross-country

sir akuy, totoo po yan

kahit isang item kada sahod hehe

Old 08-12-2013, 05:39 PM
Downhiller

Meron na po kaya dito sa Pinas ng Mosso FB? May 2 models 20-F1 & 20-F2, 9-speed na ito.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:54 AM

Last Sunday we had a wet Antipolo ride. Noong pababa na kami, ayaw na kumagat ng rear brakes ko. Good thing kinaya pa ng harap. My bike is on V-brakes. Naubos pala yun brake pad ko sa rear. Now, I'm really considering upgrading to DBs kahit mechanical lang. Is that a better option or just replace the pads to better ones? If going DBs, which would you recommend, sirs? TIA.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:27 PM
Downhiller

macmac,

3 things.

1- you use your rear brakes more to stop than your front.
2 - you don't do PM or check the status of your bike often enough.
3 - V-brakes aren't bad as long as you get good pads and a decent calipers.

I am a bit biased, and sensitive when it comes to brakes. As you have experienced, if you can't stop, you can be dead. It's that simple. Are mech disc brakes better? The answer is it depends. If you are going to get a good brand name like Avid or Shimano, they will be very good. Stopping power with discs is better especially in wet weather. But a good v-brake can always match up with any disc brake. Remember, road bikes still use pads, not discs. My shimano 105 brakes will stop so fast that it will throw you overboard faster than you can say "hinto!"

So, going for either one is up to you. Know that if you go disc, that's another round of expense which can/might be solved by just getting a good pair of pads/shoes. They will also add a bit of weight. Not that it matters to some, but some may complain about that.

A final reminder - if you do plan to go to disc, make sure that your hubs have that provision to take on the rotor.

Old 08-21-2013, 01:07 PM
Cross-country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caterpillar View Post
macmac,

3 things.

I am a bit biased, and sensitive when it comes to brakes. As you have experienced, if you can't stop, you can be dead. It's that simple. Are mech disc brakes better? The answer is it depends. If you are going to get a good brand name like Avid or Shimano, they will be very good. Stopping power with discs is better especially in wet weather. But a good v-brake can always match up with any disc brake. Remember, road bikes still use pads, not discs. My shimano 105 brakes will stop so fast that it will throw you overboard faster than you can say "hinto!"

So, going for either one is up to you. Know that if you go disc, that's another round of expense which can/might be solved by just getting a good pair of pads/shoes. They will also add a bit of weight. Not that it matters to some, but some may complain about that.

A final reminder - if you do plan to go to disc, make sure that your hubs have that provision to take on the rotor.

i saw a video na nag overboard sa roady nya hehehe....

( i used disk brakes [ stocked ng mk velocity ] and it's enough to stop me hehehe..

Nga po pala...

Kung maganda ung disk brake caliper.. ( shimano / avid ) pero ung rotor ee ( generic parang stocked ng mk velocity ko ) ..... wala ring kwenta kahit gano kgnda ung caliper??

srry for newbie questions....

Old 08-21-2013, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caterpillar View Post
macmac,

3 things.

Thanks for the info sir Caterpillar. Actually, I'd say thanks twice since you also answered my query from the other thread. With regards to the disk brake requirements, I already changed hubs when I upgraded from 7 to 9 speed. So nakaabang na sya for DB. I'm just seriously contemplating right now if I would have to really change to DB since I just changed my stock V-brake calipers to Shimano non-series. As in pads lang talaga yun naging problem. Though as advise nga ng mga kasama from TSP, better change to DB kahit sa rear lang muna since I'd still have to change .my stock fork coz it isn't DB compatible. Now that would definitely be additional expense hehe
I know safety really should come first that's why I'd really want to make sure that I got good stopping power even on a lesser expense.

Old 08-21-2013, 07:00 PM
Single-Speeder

i have not been a fan of DB, mahirap mag fold kase iiwasan mo pa yung rotors sa pag fold mo, konting tama lang dyan bingkong na and sisirain na yung brakepad ng claipers mo,

kung may time ka, silipin mo yung discussions about V Brakes sa kabilang thread naman dito rin.

another reason bakit di ako sold sa DB pag folding, di ako convinced na yung mga kabitan ng calipers eh kasing tibay ng sa mountain bike frame at fork, delikado yun na mapunit lalo na kung sobrang bilis ang takbo,

according sa thread discussion about V Brake, nasa brake pad ang buhay nya kaya for more stopping power, get the better pads, im using V brakes in all my bikes and it can stop the bike same as how a mechanical brake can, ang v brake kase para ding disc brake mo, yung disc brake pinaka malking rotor eh 203mm pero yung v brakes, yung buong rim mo parang malking rotor na.

Old 08-21-2013, 07:11 PM

Thanks sir Onkyo for d tip. Will try to check on the topic. Nanghihinayang nga ako magpalit agad kasi kakabili ko lang ng calipers ko for my V brakes hehe Any suggestions sir on quality brake pads? Tnx

Old 08-21-2013, 08:20 PM
Downhiller

If you like try to find the Magura hydraulic Vee-brake mas malabot pisilin yon siguro. I almost ordered the H11 last week (On line) but I postponed, itatanong ko muna kina Sir Onkyo & Cat if pe-pwede 'yon sa FB. Ung H33 medyo mahal na halos kasing presyo na ng XT Hyd. brakeset.

Old 08-22-2013, 02:32 AM
Single-Speeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by multoonbike View Post
If you like try to find the Magura hydraulic Vee-brake mas malabot pisilin yon siguro. I almost ordered the H11 last week (On line) but I postponed, itatanong ko muna kina Sir Onkyo & Cat if pe-pwede 'yon sa FB. Ung H33 medyo mahal na halos kasing presyo na ng XT Hyd. brakeset.
sir multoon may kasama kami nag post dati ng KCNC na vees, ganda talaga sobrang bling at ganda ng porma yun na yta ang pinaka mgandang vees na nakita namin pero ang concensus ng lahat ng tinanong nya, "i will still prefer the more known brand and model" instead of us agreeing to buy it, we strongly recommend to get the tested and proven brands and models like XT and XTR or Avid Speed Dial 7.

firts time im hearing na meron palang Magura na vees, kilala din si Magura sa fork at hydrau brakeset sa mtb pero ngayon ko lang narinig ang vees nila, kung may presyo ang magura, baka mas gugustuhin ko pa din ang XT or XTR, perhaps a Deore LX kung may makukuha, even the Deore model, I am already very happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac View Post
Thanks sir Onkyo for d tip. Will try to check on the topic. Nanghihinayang nga ako magpalit agad kasi kakabili ko lang ng calipers ko for my V brakes hehe Any suggestions sir on quality brake pads? Tnx
sa brakepads syempre ganda ng feedback sa XTR brakepads, ako im using the deore pads happy ako dito, yung isa ko naka clarks na pad ok din yung isa naman naka MOB supreme ok din, madami ding magandang feedback sa baradine pads

Old 08-22-2013, 06:38 AM
All-Mountain

matagal na yang hydro rim brakes, almost 20 years na yan. hanggang ngayon in production pa ni magura at may mga gumagamit pa din dahil magandang product. Usually trials riders ang gumagamit. Pwede ka i-order ni paulinas. Pero imho overkill na yan sa fb. pads na maganda at maayos na set up lang kailangan mo. Kool stop pads, clarks xtr upgarde pads or mob ang magaganda ang review.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:13 AM
Downhiller

Walang tama. Walang mali sa debate ng v-brakes vs hyrdo/disc brakes. Hindi naman dahil gusto ko maging politically correct o kaibigan ko si Onkyo. Heto naman kasi ang totoo. It boils down to preference. Personally, I am neutral. I have used both and find the merits of both systems. If I am using FBs,, tama rin si VWBeetle, medyo overkill din nga ang disc brakes. DBs came about and became popular to solve issues with braking with the MTBs. And as far as MTBs goes, I'd go with DBs if possible.

If you go DB, I'd rather go with hydro not mech. It has something to do with more efficiency and maybe, to some extent, better modulation, though some may dispute that. The price difference is close and if handled correctly, they should last a long time and basically needs no bleeding. Most of this bleeding or loss/uneven of power problems comes with too much fiddling with the cables. Just go with mineral oil as the other type is very caustic. If you do this, basically, with good brand DBs, you'll just be changing the pads/shoes. The rotor will take years probably to wear off. Oil change, maybe 3 years, maybe even 5-7 years depending on use. It's not that these hydro are exposed to excessive heat and pressure like in cars or motorcycles that warrants 2-3 year changes really. Just regular inspection, cleaning of the rotors/pads with alcohol should do it.

There is something I'd like to mention here though. If you ride in hilly areas a lot and in the rain or floods, this is one time you'd probably be swayed by DBs. They don't lose a lot of stopping power that much compared to VBs. I feel a 20-30% loss of stopping power when it really rains hard and you are wet all over, and the streets have even moderate water (0.5 inch or more). You have to remember to constantly press you VB to whisk the water off your rims. You don't do this as much with DB.

But this kind of use or abuse is not typical or everyday unless maybe you live in Malabon or really prone flooded area. Still something to consider and maybe tilt you to DBs. Other than that, for all intents and purposes DBs and VBs for FB use are about equal. Baradine, MOB, are good brands of brake shoes to get. Buy one set first to experiment if it works. MOB is supposed to be also made by Baradine, so maybe you can save some money by going for this.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:29 AM
Downhiller

@vwbeetle
I've heard lots of praise about Kool Stop's brake pads/shoes; where are they available locally? Haven't seen them advertised online yet by local LBS. Thanks!

Old 08-22-2013, 09:57 AM
All-Mountain

meron dati sa velocity

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 30 characters.

Old 08-22-2013, 02:28 PM
Downhiller

Thank you Sir Onkyo (reminds me how good my Onkyo AVR & AM10). I'll give Magura HS11 a try, it sounds like pe pwede naman overkill nga lang like sir VWbeetle said.

Old 08-22-2013, 02:37 PM
Global Moderator

Locking the thread, 100+ pages na eh, please continue the discussion here

http://pinoymtbiker.org/forum/showthread.php?p=643513

thanks

Links
Closed Thread