PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community
Go Back   PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community > Home Trails > Road Bike Section

Road Bike Section For our road cousin!

Bike Town Cyclery King's Bicycle Store Gran Trail Cycles Global Craze Bikes Newton Multi Sales G. C. Cyclist Decimal Cycle Supply Cycle Art Marketing IronBike.net MyNextBike.com Azione Sports Deuter backpack, hydration bags & accessories - Dynamic Sports Corp. Comet Cycle Center - SFDM, QC Mars Kingdom Cycle Trading Bike101 Bikeshop Ryder / Maxxis / Infinity Italia / Shimano HitchPro Philippines

Old 12-09-2014, 11:48 PM
Downhiller

Default Re: CycloCross (CX) bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayvee View Post
RE M515/M575 brakes - arent these part of the deore series?
That was my understanding too. Frankly I have no idea where the local "non-series" moniker came from - I don't have a real MTB background.

Apparently the Shimano B01S brake pads themselves are shaped for use with a lot of disc brake caliper units:
BR-T615 (seems like this was the original application)
BR-T675
BR-C501
BR-M575
BR-M525
BR-M515
BR-M486
BR-M485
BR-M475
BR-M465
BR-M447
BR-M446
BR-M445
BR-M416(A)
BR-M415
BR-M395
BR-M375

The important thing is that Tektro/TRP's stuff uses the same-shape B01S pad for easy compatibility and restocking of spares. They're cheap too at PhP250 per pad set for one caliper

On my Spyres, I don't use the retaining pins provided with the pads. I use the factory 3mm mounting bolt and cotter pin instead to hold the pads in place.

Old 12-11-2014, 12:31 AM

taking my Giant Anyroad for a beating

Old 12-15-2014, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Type 100 View Post
That was my understanding too. Frankly I have no idea where the local "non-series" moniker came from - I don't have a real MTB background.

Apparently the Shimano B01S brake pads themselves are shaped for use with a lot of disc brake caliper units:
BR-T615 (seems like this was the original application)
BR-T675
BR-C501
BR-M575
BR-M525
BR-M515
BR-M486
BR-M485
BR-M475
BR-M465
BR-M447
BR-M446
BR-M445
BR-M416(A)
BR-M415
BR-M395
BR-M375

The important thing is that Tektro/TRP's stuff uses the same-shape B01S pad for easy compatibility and restocking of spares. They're cheap too at PhP250 per pad set for one caliper

On my Spyres, I don't use the retaining pins provided with the pads. I use the factory 3mm mounting bolt and cotter pin instead to hold the pads in place.
same here, i don't have a deep mtb background. i started mtb'ing only in 2011, back from a 20 yr bike drought which began after my bmx was stolen or sold, i can't remember...

anyway, maybe said moniker refers to the pads, not the brakes? coz the list of compatible brakes for the pads makes the pads non-series, 'non-specific to a series' to be exact

500 for both calipers? sweet... maybe you can get the pads without the pins making them cheaper hehe

by the way, have you seen the 2016 cannondale caadx prototype? it comes with a lefty suspension fork. probly overkill but its nice to know they're really putting money into cx r&d.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeeJaay View Post
taking my Giant Anyroad for a beating

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bT5rS9S8p50
big to you sir

Old 12-15-2014, 04:46 PM
Downhiller

Quote:
500 for both calipers? sweet... maybe you can get the pads without the pins making them cheaper hehe

by the way, have you seen the 2016 cannondale caadx prototype? it comes with a lefty suspension fork. probly overkill but its nice to know they're really putting money into cx r&d.
The pads come as a set with the retaining spring and two lengths of Shimano's retaining/cotter pins. I don't think you can get them without the pins.

Regarding the lefty fork fitted to the prototype CAADX...that seems to present its own kinds of problems for CX races. The primary headache is wheel changes, which will be a lot slower on the Lefty vs. even a through-axle fork configuration. CX is characterized by its riders swapping bikes in the pit area mid-event, usually when they get dirty and muddy enough, and mechanics bring a lot of wheel-tire combos (tubulars, usually) to suit the terrain and conditions. Having to wrench a wheel off a Lefty seems much more involved than popping off a QR or TA quick-release on a conventional CX fork.

It's still up to the UCI if it accepts suspension forks on competition CX bikes. We'll see.

@TeeJay
Lovely footage! Drooling over the Sony Action Cam myself. Yours is the full-size version or the Mini?

Old 12-16-2014, 08:26 AM

Quote:
The pads come as a set with the retaining spring and two lengths of Shimano's retaining/cotter pins. I don't think you can get them without the pins.

Regarding the lefty fork fitted to the prototype CAADX...that seems to present its own kinds of problems for CX races. The primary headache is wheel changes, which will be a lot slower on the Lefty vs. even a through-axle fork configuration. CX is characterized by its riders swapping bikes in the pit area mid-event, usually when they get dirty and muddy enough, and mechanics bring a lot of wheel-tire combos (tubulars, usually) to suit the terrain and conditions. Having to wrench a wheel off a Lefty seems much more involved than popping off a QR or TA quick-release on a conventional CX fork.

It's still up to the UCI if it accepts suspension forks on competition CX bikes. We'll see.

@TeeJay
Lovely footage! Drooling over the Sony Action Cam myself. Yours is the full-size version or the Mini?
yeah, was just kidding

i agree. it takes roughly 2 minutes for non pros to take off and put on a wheel with lefty suspension. thats really a lot of time lost when it comes to races and i dont think that even mechanics can do it less than a minute. every second counts. i dunno but probably what they can do is bring several lefty cross bikes with different wheel sizes in the pit.

pls correct if im wrong but i think suspension is allowed by uci in cross races.

Old 12-16-2014, 08:06 PM
Downhiller

Quote:
pls correct if im wrong but i think suspension is allowed by uci in cross races.
http://www.cxmagazine.com/spotted-ca...-fork-2014-nbx

Quote:
Still, the (Cannondale Lefty-equipped) bike, which currently sports 40mm of travel, might be a hard sell under the current rules. Although the majority of racers don’t participate in UCI races, many riders who would purchase a high-end model might have aspirations to race in one over the course of the next few years, and as the current regulations stand, this bike doesn’t comply with the UCI guidelines for cyclocross bikes. Still, over three years ago, people were saying the same thing about companies investing in disc brakes for cyclocross bikes, which goes to show that the UCI is willing to change with the times.

Old 12-17-2014, 08:28 AM
Downhiller

Quote:
may just be me, but i don't find lefty's visually appealing (in any form of bike) nor cx bikes having suspension.

just my opinion...

Old 12-17-2014, 10:30 AM
Downhiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyghost View Post
may just be me, but i don't find lefty's visually appealing (in any form of bike) nor cx bikes having suspension.

just my opinion...
I share the same general sentiment.

From a purely competition point of view, strictly speaking, cyclocross bikes have no need for suspension. The longest a single CX competitive event will go is one hour for men's events and 50 minutes for women's events, as per UCI rules.

It also flies in the face of CX's origins as the simplistic "get out and race in the off season" activity/sport for road cyclists that it really is. Cyclocross is its own sport - it's not "MTB for pansies" - and it's been its own sport decades before MTBs were born in the 1970s. Introducing suspension and Lefty forks/hubs also introduces complication to the sport for arguably not much benefit. Having watched a few CX races, I notice the emphasis is still more on pedaling and impulse climbing power than MTB-style bike handling over rocks and roots.

If one really wanted to race a bike with suspension at a cyclocross event, one could just join a non-UCI sanctioned one. Those will usually allow MTBs in. Just my thoughts.

Old 12-17-2014, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Thank you sir, I stand corrected

I wouldn’t be surprised though if UCI will allow front suspension cross bikes in the near future. Upon prodding from bike and parts manufacturers, this is sure to happen. Case in point - disc brakes. Before the 2010-11 race season, disc brakes were prohibited from UCI cross competition. Allegedly due to months of persistence by Shimano and La Pierre, UCI, following protocol, finally permitted their use. Undoubtedly, the same could happen to front suspension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyghost View Post

just my opinion...
Apir boss! I too find leftys unappealing but I wouldn’t mind getting one for free. After a few months, who knows? I might sell it and get me a wicked Trek Boone 9 no offense to Cannondale lovers

Cx front suspension? That’s a very controversial topic. Its like the 26 v 29 debate all over again - friendships lost and blood spilled... winter is coming hehehe. Seriously though, I wouldn’t mind using a cx front sus bike, not for UCI cross competition, but for gravel and dirt road races or, if I was crazy enough, ultra-CX races like Southern Cross. Sadly, we don't have those kinds of races yet. Soon I hope... Calling on all race organizers!

Quote:
I share the same general sentiment.

From a purely competition point of view, strictly speaking, cyclocross bikes have no need for suspension. The longest a single CX competitive event will go is one hour for men's events and 50 minutes for women's events, as per UCI rules.

It also flies in the face of CX's origins as the simplistic "get out and race in the off season" activity/sport for road cyclists that it really is. Cyclocross is its own sport - it's not "MTB for pansies" - and it's been its own sport decades before MTBs were born in the 1970s. Introducing suspension and Lefty forks/hubs also introduces complication to the sport for arguably not much benefit. Having watched a few CX races, I notice the emphasis is still more on pedaling and impulse climbing power than MTB-style bike handling over rocks and roots.

If one really wanted to race a bike with suspension at a cyclocross event, one could just join a non-UCI sanctioned one. Those will usually allow MTBs in. Just my thoughts.
Yessur, I agree with you. For UCI competitions or UCI-sanctioned races, I think there’s no need for front suspension cross bikes.

MTB for pansies? CX is definitely not. Let the guy who said that try ultra-CX races, let’s see if he could finish just one. He’s probably a closet CX fan.

A non-sanctioned UCI race is a good start for those planning on trying out CX

Links