PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community
Go Back   PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community > Home Trails > Road Bike Section

Notices

Road Bike Section For our road cousin!

Bike Town Cyclery King's Bicycle Store Gran Trail Cycles Global Craze Bikes Newton Multi Sales Decimal Cycle Supply Cycle Art Marketing Deuter backpack, hydration bags & accessories - Dynamic Sports Corp. Comet Cycle Center - SFDM, QC Mars Kingdom Cycle Trading Bike101 Bikeshop Ryder / Maxxis / Infinity Italia / Shimano HitchPro Philippines Red Bike Zone

Old 08-05-2015, 11:01 PM
Downhiller

Default Re: CycloCross (CX) bikes

I got my TCX at LifeCycle. Not sure how much it costs these days.
Old 08-06-2015, 12:41 AM

I checked out the tcx before I found my frame. It is 65k built with the 105 groupset (i forgot which model).

It is also available as frameset, 45k for the aluxx and 60k (I think) for the the carbon version.
Old 08-08-2015, 05:00 AM
Bike Commuter

Thanks. Do you know of any LBS that offers the Cannondale CAADX?
Old 08-08-2015, 10:58 PM

For CAADX, there's Ross in Cartimar, The Bikedilla, Unison, Glorious Ride and most other shops actually, its a pretty common model. But I'd recommend you start with Unison, they are the local distributor here.
Old 08-09-2015, 12:12 AM
Bike Commuter

Thanks. Is Unison also in Cartimar?
Old 08-09-2015, 08:28 PM

Nope, it is in D. Tuazon, Q.C. Check out the FB page or here.
Old 08-09-2015, 11:24 PM

Also.... They still have their original store in Binondo-across Binondo church. Though not as nice as their QC showroom
Old 08-10-2015, 01:32 AM
Bike Commuter

Thanks. I checked the website of Unison. It seems they no longer carry the Cannondale brand.
Old 08-10-2015, 09:02 AM
Bike Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Type 100 View Post
Some progress on my TCX.

Finally swapped out the stock saddle for a Selle SMP Hell. The difference in comfort is huge. The only time I'd get genital numbness on the Hell is after sprinting loops along Daang Reyna multiple times in succession. Any other time, the saddle just disappears beneath me and I can keep pedaling.

The full-length cutout does mean any rear wheel spray from wet roads has a direct line to my bottom if I don't run the bike with fenders or a saddle bag. A very minor thing, really, as I run the bike 95% of the time with both of them.

After suffering way too many punctures and patching my tubes more times than I should, I mounted Continental UltraSport II 700C x 28mm tires on my wheels. Inflated to 90 psi, they actually measure 30mm across, as mounted on my rims with 19mm internal width.

This is my first set of folding-bead tires and they were very hard to mount. I can mount and dismount most wire-bead tires by hand. These were very tight, and I broke a tire lever trying to get the final portion of bead over the rim. I resorted to using a bead jack, a tool I normally reserve for mounting stubborn tires for my 20" folding bike.

Given these are Continental's entry-level tires, they're pretty good. They roll easily, grip quite well, and are still rather comfortable at 90 psi. I used to run 80 psi on my old set of 28mm tires because I had rear-wheel squirm at 90 psi in the wet with barely any lean angle while turning.

The last photo also shows the Elite Tito aluminum bottle cages I mounted after breaking my plastic Topeak one at Heroes Bike Trail.
nice saddle. how wide is it? i'm already scouting for a suitable saddle replacement btw. what i do like about the smp is the 'dropped' nose as its not going to be a PITA (literally) when moving forward on some ascents.
Old 08-10-2015, 02:56 PM
Downhiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyghost View Post
nice saddle. how wide is it? i'm already scouting for a suitable saddle replacement btw. what i do like about the smp is the 'dropped' nose as its not going to be a PITA (literally) when moving forward on some ascents.
SMP rate the Hell at 144 mm width. If you want a wider model, the TRK is 177 mm wide and is noticeably wider at the nose as well.

The overall shape works well when scooting your butt rearward to recruit your glutes and hamstrings, too. Initially I had concerns about the SMP saddle shape restricting you to one spot along its length, but that hasn't been a problem and it's comfortable wherever you sit.
Old 08-10-2015, 07:43 PM
Bike Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Type 100 View Post
SMP rate the Hell at 144 mm width. If you want a wider model, the TRK is 177 mm wide and is noticeably wider at the nose as well.

The overall shape works well when scooting your butt rearward to recruit your glutes and hamstrings, too. Initially I had concerns about the SMP saddle shape restricting you to one spot along its length, but that hasn't been a problem and it's comfortable wherever you sit.
actually i need something around 135... but i havent tried 144 yet. 177 will definitely be too wide for me
Old 09-14-2015, 03:41 PM
All-Mountain

what's a great bang-for-buck in terms of value-to-price CX wheelset?
preferably 700c x 35 and where can you buy one?

Thanks.
Old 09-17-2015, 01:31 PM

There aren't that many cx-specific wheels out there, most 29er wheels with at least a 19mm. internal width would do if you will use 28c-35c tires. You can build one out of an WTB freq. i19 which is locally available or go the 29er wheelset route which goes from 6.5k the lowest and normally has a lower spoke count (24 or 28) and you don't have to go hunting for hubs with the same number of spokes.

As for bang for buck, I guess I could testify for the Shimano wheelsets. I have two MT55s, one in use on my cx/commuter/gravel machine for years now. It has racked several thousands of kms already, it is still true and I only had to service (re-grease) it once since it was bought. It is probably even cheaper than assembled wheels because assembled wheels on average costs 11k up if you choose branded rims. The mt55, just 9.5k srp.
Old 09-17-2015, 05:09 PM
Downhiller

The Bikedilla sells the following wheelsets:
Shimano WH-RX010, 17mm internal width, PhP6400
Mavic Aksium One Disc, 17mm internal width, PhP9000

Rotors not included.

Tags
cyclocross