PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community
Go Back   PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community > Home Trails > Road Bike Section

Road Bike Section For our road cousin!

Bike Town Cyclery King's Bicycle Store Gran Trail Cycles Global Craze Bikes Newton Multi Sales G. C. Cyclist Decimal Cycle Supply Cycle Art Marketing IronBike.net MyNextBike.com Azione Sports Deuter backpack, hydration bags & accessories - Dynamic Sports Corp. Comet Cycle Center - SFDM, QC Mars Kingdom Cycle Trading Bike101 Bikeshop Ryder / Maxxis / Infinity Italia / Shimano HitchPro Philippines

Old 11-28-2014, 12:39 AM

Default Re: CycloCross (CX) bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Type 100 View Post
It definitely won't fit 32mm tires. I haven't seen a lot of 32mm slicks anyway; your best bet is 28mm.

Personally, Tiagra isn't that bad; it's my go-to road groupset and I only have 105 now as a bonus of sorts. On a ~PhP90,000 carbon bike, though...you're probably paying the premium for the frame (which is well-reviewed) and not the components.

Bear in mind that you also lose the ability to fit fenders...such an odd omission from Giant's endurance bike IMO
Yup it looks like 28mm is the widest tire that would fit the frame, which is still OK I guess. I was hoping for a wider tire so the ride would be more forgiving since I'm quite heavy.

I was aiming for a bike with Shimano 105 5800 groupset because I was planning on upgrading the levers to Shimano ST-RS685 and change the brakes to Shimano hydraulic discs when available. Is Shimano Tiagra compatible with that upgrade route?

BTW the quoted price I got for the Giant Defy Advanced 3 is Php 70K but you can get a 10% discount if paid in cash. I agree the carbon frame is the selling point of the bike, but I'm only after the disc brakes and option to use wider tires hehehe! So I'm a bit hesitant to shell out a lot of cash for a carbon frame

It's a shame the alloy versions of Giant Defy bikes are equipped with caliper brakes only. Only the more expensive carbon frame models get disc brakes. I wish the Cannondale distro would bring in the alloy Synapse Disc 105 or the CAAD10 Disc model.

So now I'm back to the CAADX Disc 105 option... Are there other CX bike options for me?

Thanks for the comments

Links
Old 11-28-2014, 02:01 AM

wow that was fast... should've bought the merida 500 a few days back when i had the chance. the caadx disc 105 looks pretty cool, how much is the price diff bet the two?

you might wanna check out araya's (yes, araya) 2014 cx version of their muddy fox. if im not mistaken, built cycles sells em.. but for how much i dunno. also i think the distro here of cannondale also sells fuji and i know fuji has their own line of cx bikes, altamira cx.

Old 11-28-2014, 02:56 AM
Lurker

Darn, I guess the 500 is out of the question for me. Here's to hoping Glorious Ride still has my size for the CAADX 105. I actually like the Tiagra version's colors, too bad no one is selling it here.

Links