PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community
Go Back   PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community > Home Trails > Road Bike Section

Road Bike Section For our road cousin!

Bike Town Cyclery King's Bicycle Store Gran Trail Cycles Global Craze Bikes Newton Multi Sales Decimal Cycle Supply Cycle Art Marketing Deuter backpack, hydration bags & accessories - Dynamic Sports Corp. Comet Cycle Center - SFDM, QC Mars Kingdom Cycle Trading Bike101 Bikeshop Ryder / Maxxis / Infinity Italia / Shimano HitchPro Philippines Red Bike Zone

Old 06-28-2015, 08:29 PM
Downhiller

Default Re: CycloCross (CX) bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchoi View Post
Another one enters the PH market, meron na daw kay Tryon, I wonder how much it is though.

http://www.cinelli.it/site/index.php...emid=9&lang=en
Knowing Tryon, that's probably not going to be cheap. Nice that they don't seem to have cheaped out on the spec; the only things you might want to swap out are brand-snob stuff such as the FSA Omega crank.

While a single-piston design like 95% of its ilk are, Shimano's mechanical disc brakes are reportedly solid performers and should be up to the job.

You'll want to take note of the CX70 front derailleur. Along with its CX50 brother, it's one of the few Shimano road FDs that's offered in a top-pull design, which is a nod to old-school cyclocross bikes that have all their cables routed along the top tube. Judging from the cable routing, Cinelli uses the top-pull version on this Zydeco. Almost all Shimano road FDs by comparison are bottom-pull, with the shift cable routed along the downtube, under the bottom bracket, and up to the FD.

The Shimano RX05 disc-brake road wheelset is also a 10-speed-only item due to the freehub, so you'll have to swap it out for something else if you'll upgrade to 11-speed. Shimano's cheapest current 11-speed-compatible disc-brake road wheelset is the RX31.

Old 06-29-2015, 10:32 AM

Based on the Mystic Rats I've inquired from them once, I estimate the Zydeco would be something around the 50k-ish range. Maybe along the same price range as a Cdale Caax 105, maybe even more. I wish it comes in black though, the colorway looks like its ready for a gay pride parade.

Old 06-29-2015, 05:39 PM
Downhiller

Nice to see Built Cycles selling more CX tire options. They now have Panaracer offerings.

Crossblaster 31mm - Php1,050
CG 32mm - Php1,150
Cinder X 35mm - Php1,150

Old 06-29-2015, 07:22 PM
Bike Commuter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Type 100 View Post
Nice to see Built Cycles selling more CX tire options. They now have Panaracer offerings.

Crossblaster 31mm - Php1,050
CG 32mm - Php1,150
Cinder X 35mm - Php1,150
sir Type 100, saan ang built cycles?

Old 06-29-2015, 07:33 PM
Downhiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzworth View Post
sir Type 100, saan ang built cycles?
You can try searching for them on Facebook. They're supposed to have branches in Quezon City and BF Paranaque.

They carry Tektro and TRP brake hardware should you want to switch your V-brakes to cantilevers.

Old 07-05-2015, 09:27 AM
Downhiller

After 13 months of nothing but asphalt my TCX finally sees proper mud and trail action. CX poser no more!

That's TeeJay's white Anyroad 1 on the rack

I ran the stock Schwalbe Super Swan 700C x 35mm rubber at 60 psi, and I had good traction. Minimum rated pressure is 55 psi.

There's quite an effort needed converting the bike from its road-going commuter form to its original CX state, mainly due to swapping the tires on the wheelset and removing/installing the rear fender.

Old 07-05-2015, 10:38 PM
Bike Commuter

anong maganda pedal for cyclocross bike?

Old 07-06-2015, 05:16 PM
Downhiller

Quote:
anong maganda pedal for cyclocross bike?
You can run any pedal you want. Most CX bikes avoid road pedals for three-bolt cleats, though (e.g. Look, SPD-SL) because they're near worthless for running in mud - or any running at all for that matter.

The usual choice is any Shimano SPD pedal.

Personally I run Shimano's Saint platform pedals.

Old 07-11-2015, 08:25 PM

@Type100, ikaw pala nakita kong naka CX bike sa Heroes last week. Nalaglagan ka ba ng kadena sir? Sa isang lap ko nakita ko nakatigil ang bike niyo.

Going back to pedals, ano mas advantageous, cleats or platform pedals? At kumusta handling niya pag sa trails?

Old 07-11-2015, 09:01 PM
Downhiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms23 View Post
@Type100, ikaw pala nakita kong naka CX bike sa Heroes last week. Nalaglagan ka ba ng kadena sir? Sa isang lap ko nakita ko nakatigil ang bike niyo.
It wasn't chain drop. Water bottle fell because bottle cage gave up.

The other times I stopped were due to getting lost and making a wrong turn on Stage 2, and falling off due to my front wheel not clearing an exposed root on my first go of Stage 1. I was also slipping on my pedals a few times due to my pedals' traction pins not being set long enough.

Mechanically, I had no issues. The bike is trail-worthy; the rider, not so much - but not too bad considering that was my first trail ride ever.

Old 07-11-2015, 09:02 PM

Question: this is actually a cyclocross-related question so I guess it qualifies here, but here's the background; I've been searching high and low for a road/cx disk specific wheelset to put in my Ridley Fenix but so far I've only found locally, an AMClass Argent Disk that costs 40k and is said to weigh at 1350 grams. Its lighter than some carbon options, but costs almost as much.

My other option is have one built by CNC, who happens to offer 38mm carbons on disk braked Novatecs starting at 24k and weighs 1700 grams, but the rims has that very obvious braking surface on the edge common in road rims.

For the DIY option, the only road rims I can find that can be used are 42mm. H+ Son EERO rims that doesn't have that machined braking surface, would cost just in the area of 12k built, but I estimate will be hitting near 2000 grams even if matched with light hubs and spokes, yet it is the lightest alloy roadie rims I can find without a braking surface. That's even heavier than the frame I'm building it for. I aim for a bit of lightness to help with climbing.

I've also thought of 29er wheelsets for this, I'm sure they will work because my frame accepts 135mm spacing in the rear. I was actually wondering if I stick a CB Cobalt wheel in there, but that might look weird instead of cool. My old MT55s can also be used, btw. They fit but I need 11-speed.

So my question is; does anybody know of any other road/cx rims, maybe Stan's Grail/Alpha/Iron Cross that you can buy locally? Or has anybody found another cheaper (much, much cheaper) disk road/cx wheelset than Argent?

Old 07-20-2015, 10:02 PM

Locally available po kaya ang Trek Crockett dito sa pinas?

Old 07-21-2015, 06:22 PM
Downhiller

I recently spotted a Carmona-based LBS advertise on Facebook that they're selling this particular wheelset: Mavic's Aksium One Disc.

If you're familiar with Mavic's road wheelset line, Aksium is their bottom-spec offering. The Aksium One Disc offers a 17mm internal rim width, good for mounting tires from 25mm to 52mm wide. The hubs contain 24 straight-pull spokes each and accept 6-bolt brake rotors. As a set, the wheels weigh 1.9kg.

The Carmona LBS sells it for PhP10,500. Not bad for a cheap alternate wheelset. It's already a bit lighter than the XC-refugee Giant S-X2 wheelsets that come stock on the Anyroad and TCX.

Old 07-23-2015, 11:20 PM
Downhiller

Some progress on my TCX.

Finally swapped out the stock saddle for a Selle SMP Hell. The difference in comfort is huge. The only time I'd get genital numbness on the Hell is after sprinting loops along Daang Reyna multiple times in succession. Any other time, the saddle just disappears beneath me and I can keep pedaling.

The full-length cutout does mean any rear wheel spray from wet roads has a direct line to my bottom if I don't run the bike with fenders or a saddle bag. A very minor thing, really, as I run the bike 95% of the time with both of them.

After suffering way too many punctures and patching my tubes more times than I should, I mounted Continental UltraSport II 700C x 28mm tires on my wheels. Inflated to 90 psi, they actually measure 30mm across, as mounted on my rims with 19mm internal width.

This is my first set of folding-bead tires and they were very hard to mount. I can mount and dismount most wire-bead tires by hand. These were very tight, and I broke a tire lever trying to get the final portion of bead over the rim. I resorted to using a bead jack, a tool I normally reserve for mounting stubborn tires for my 20" folding bike.

Given these are Continental's entry-level tires, they're pretty good. They roll easily, grip quite well, and are still rather comfortable at 90 psi. I used to run 80 psi on my old set of 28mm tires because I had rear-wheel squirm at 90 psi in the wet with barely any lean angle while turning.

The last photo also shows the Elite Tito aluminum bottle cages I mounted after breaking my plastic Topeak one at Heroes Bike Trail.

Old 07-24-2015, 01:08 AM
Bike Commuter

Really, really nice setup!

That bottle cage also looks really nice

I fellow biker whom I just met last week is inviting me to Wawa Dam this weekend, I hope my C'dale can handle it, or rather, I hope I can handle it

Old 07-24-2015, 01:53 PM

@Type 100, thanks man! That is exactly what I need. I was already contemplating on using my new pair Fireeye 29ers I was originally building form my MTB and was just looking for Novatec 771/772s, looks like it will go to where it was originally intended after all. I've located the FB page, might swing by this weekend.

Old 07-24-2015, 02:44 PM
Bike Commuter

sir Type100..sa daang hari at daang reyna din ba ang rota ninyo pag weekend? Don din ako nagba-bike.. ganda ng setup ninyo.

Old 07-24-2015, 06:36 PM
Downhiller

Quote:
sir Type100..sa daang hari at daang reyna din ba ang rota ninyo pag weekend? Don din ako nagba-bike.. ganda ng setup ninyo.
I was there the past couple Sundays.

I'm not sure how often I'll be coming back there in the future though now that MCX is supposed to open. I'm a little worried about how safe the area's going to be especially around the Daang Hari-Daang Reyna-MCX rotunda area.

Old 07-25-2015, 05:14 PM

Just sharing in case somebody else needs them; CX/Road Disc wheels finally landed it seems.

I was just at BikersChoy in Carmona, it appears he has a couple of Aksium One Disc and one of the cheaper RX010 (RS11 disc version, centerlock type) and upon checking, The Bikedilla also has stocks of both and the higher end Ksyrium Pro Disc.

Old 08-05-2015, 06:09 PM

@Type100,

where can I find a TCX? I checked with Ryan Bike shop and they don't have anything in stock but the Anyroad 1. What is it's price range? I am leaning more towards the CX bike route.

Links