PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community
Go Back   PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community > Home Trails > Folding Bikes

Folding Bikes Discussion for Folding Bikes

Bike Town Cyclery King's Bicycle Store MT Pro Bikes Gran Trail Cycles Global Craze Bikes Newton Multi Sales G. C. Cyclist Decimal Cycle Supply Cycle Art Marketing IronBike.net MyNextBike.com Azione Sports ISOLINK Mtb Suspension System Deuter backpack, hydration bags & accessories - Dynamic Sports Corp. Comet Cycle Center - SFDM, QC Mars Kingdom Cycle Trading Bike101 Bikeshop Ryder / Maxxis / Infinity Italia / Shimano Business Venture 888 - 12 O'Clock Bike Components Parts and Accessories.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:36 AM
Bike Commuter

Default Guinness Folding Bike

To the folding bike aficionados and gurus here,

I bought a Guinness FB at an LBS in Quiapo for my soon to be wife yesterday. Anyone who have one of these? I was told that it's upgradeable with mtb parts. I now plan to transfer my deore groupset into it.

Anyone who made this kind of upgrade? Any advice how to proceed with my plan? Specifically, these might be the issues:

A. Brakes - does it need some sort of adapter for the front calipers if changed to hydraulics? Do I need to change rotors too?

B. Cogs - the hubs needs to be changed to accommodate 10 speeds and I was offered some sort of shimano non series centerlock hubs for 1k. Are these good replacements and do they come in 28 spokes?

C. Chain - do I need to change chains too?

D. Chainring - can the stock chainring accommodate the 10 speed cogs? (This is the extent of my initial upgrade)

E. Front Derailleurs - can I put my 3x10 cranks and fd to it? What kind of adapter do I need to place the fd?

F. Cockpit - can I use the sawed off portion of an mtb fork steering tube to accommodate my spare stem and handle bar?

Thanks in advance for your inputs!

Links

Old 02-14-2013, 08:50 AM
Downhiller

Default Re: Guinness Folding Bike

paps, except for the cockpit, yung mga upgrade na pinag uusapan namin sa SGM Storm thread eh pwedeng pwede dito. check it out yo

SGM Storm Folding Bike

Old 02-14-2013, 10:46 AM

Laugh Re: Guinness Folding Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking29 View Post

A. Brakes - does it need some sort of adapter for the front calipers if changed to hydraulics? Do I need to change rotors too?

B. Cogs - the hubs needs to be changed to accommodate 10 speeds and I was offered some sort of shimano non series centerlock hubs for 1k. Are these good replacements and do they come in 28 spokes?

C. Chain - do I need to change chains too?

D. Chainring - can the stock chainring accommodate the 10 speed cogs? (This is the extent of my initial upgrade)

E. Front Derailleurs - can I put my 3x10 cranks and fd to it? What kind of adapter do I need to place the fd?

F. Cockpit - can I use the sawed off portion of an mtb fork steering tube to accommodate my spare stem and handle bar?

Thanks in advance for your inputs!
a. just like in your mtb you dont need adaptors for your caliper unless you plan on using larger rotors than the "standard" 6" rotor

b. ok naman ang shimano hubs but they use loose bearings. also if you already have rotors check if they are bolt on or centerlock. if the former, you need hubs for bolt on rotors as you may alredy know from your mtb. they do not come in 28 holes but the mechanic will be able to lace them in an "adapted" configuration

c. if you upgrade to 9 or 10 gears you need specific chains for them

d. yes

e. fd adaptors are available from online sellers (and an lbs who shall not be named) but check if the seat tube will have enough space for this. i doubt if using a granny will be desirable because of the smaller wheel size than the mtb. you might end up spinning without moving

f. depends on the diameter of your stem but theoretically you can saw off the hb and install a threadless stem on the "steerer" of the folding

if were you i wouldnt open the storm thread, theres some sort og guinness bashing going on there

Old 02-14-2013, 10:56 AM
Downhiller

hahaha honestly hindi ko pa nabasa yung gera dun ng pinost ko yung link sa SGM Storm

Old 02-14-2013, 01:16 PM
Downhiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by siopaomaster View Post
hahaha honestly hindi ko pa nabasa yung gera dun ng pinost ko yung link sa SGM Storm
'Ala namang guera doon. Interpretasyon lang na may gera. Kung sasabihin ko ba na manipis batalya mo kumpara sa akin, opinion lang ba ito? Nasusukat at nakikita ito. Hindi ito opinion. Pag sinabi ko na walang katok, lagatok, o ingit ang Storm, hindi opinion ito. At hindi gera ito. Madaling patunayan ito. Sakyan mo bike ko at magpedal ka, paakyat pa. Pakinggan mo kung may tunog na hindi kaaya-aya. So, ano ang guera doon?

Ang opinion ay kung sasabihin ko na matibay bike ko, na hindi ko pa naman naisasabak sa kalye at nakakagulong ng daan-daang kilometro sa paahon, sa pababa, na tumatahak na 38kph at sa lubak, o aabot ng 60km or 100km ang natakbo sa isang labasan na buong araw kang pumapadyak. Kung hindi mo pa nagagawa sa bike mo ito, ito ang opinion at haka-haka lang.

In truth, OT yung Guinness doon. That is the Storm thread. Mabait lang ang mod natin at hindi binubura iyon. Ang lusot lang nang post ko is that it compares both the Storm and Guinness. So, ankop pa siya doon. May disclaimer naman ako as always.

Wag lang mang-intriga na wala naman.

Kung sensitive ka, at hindi ka marunong mangatuwiran, tiyak tingin mo may gera at tatamaan ang logic mo. Wala naman talaga. 'Eka nga, napag-uusapan lang.

Sabi nga sa ingles, "Move on, there's nothing here. Move on."

Old 02-14-2013, 03:01 PM

Viking29 - sir punta kayo global craze quiapo, Yung lahat ng quetion mo magagawa dun. meron isang customer na nagpakabit almost same na balak mo set-up.

Old 02-14-2013, 03:14 PM
Bike Commuter

Unhappy Re: Guinness Folding Bike

Just an update for this upgradeitis sickness bugging me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcs888 View Post
a. just like in your mtb you dont need adaptors for your caliper unless you plan on using larger rotors than the "standard" 6" rotor.

I was able to buy the adapter to attach the brakes to the fork. It converts the situation from the side facing holes to rear facing where we attach the calipers

b. ok naman ang shimano hubs but they use loose bearings. also if you already have rotors check if they are bolt on or centerlock. if the former, you need hubs for bolt on rotors as you may already know from your mtb. they do not come in 28 holes but the mechanic will be able to lace them in an "adapted" configuration

My mistake, I wasn't able to take a look at the hubs

c. if you upgrade to 9 or 10 gears you need specific chains for them

d. yes

e. fd adaptors are available from online sellers (and an lbs who shall not be named) but check if the seat tube will have enough space for this. i doubt if using a granny will be desirable because of the smaller wheel size than the mtb. you might end up spinning without moving

I was shown with an adapter. It looks like a round ring (tear drop shaped) that could be fitted to the bottom bracket. The mechanic said it takes FD's from SLX to XTR types but can only take two chain rings and necessarily, those kinds of cranks. Maybe it's for those direct mounting types of FD's. Question is whether I can install my 3x10 chain rings and just remove the granny? What do you think?

f. depends on the diameter of your stem but theoretically you can saw off the hb and install a threadless stem on the "steerer" of the folding

What do you mean by threadless? (sorry, still a newbie) This part I wasn't able to ask the mechanic too.

if were you i wouldnt open the storm thread, theres some sort of guinness bashing going on there

I've seen the thread and I don't think it will affect me. I don't see the relevance of the discussion as I'm not going to use the bike hardcore (actually, it's my GF's and I'm just a borrower, hehe!) and I take good care of my things generally. I just want to improve its performance and as a good excuse to upgrade my FS mtb, haha!

Old 02-14-2013, 03:14 PM

Actually wala naman gera nag mumuka lang gera kasi some people would give negative feedback sa mga bike na hindi pa nila nagagamit sounds funny diba, ang basihan lang nila is the way it looks and using a mesure tape?..hehehe. well its a bit harsh for a feedback/opinion diba. Happy nga ako kasi bilang lang yung tao dito na ganun. lahat ng tao dito would give personal feedback on their own bike I repeat THEIR OWN BIKE not other bikes na ni isang beses eh hindi pa na ride/nasubukan at nagative feedback agad. Wala masama maging biased just put in a good way. yung iba tao kasi para ampalaya bitter sa ibang FB...hehehe peace

Old 02-14-2013, 03:50 PM
Downhiller

oo sige walang gera, tara meet up na tayo kasama ng mga foldies natin!

curious din ako sa Guiinness kasi nga may new kid in town.

pare pareho tayong mga foldie lovers dito and dapat tayo tayo rin mag tutulungan. Sana maging masaya ang mga owners ng Mouse, Storm at Guinness kasi ang mga bikes na nabanggit ay pang masa nga, and kung pang masa, mas marami nagigng interesado

Old 02-15-2013, 01:04 AM

Mga guys.. to be honest I was the one who started a new thread and it was titled as Sgm storm vs Guinness at first..nung hinahanap ko na sya it got merged into the Sgm storm thread bigla.... sir caterpillar gave me detailed inputs about the bikes.. he was helping me out.. i dont have knowledge about bikes parts thats why i started that thread and also gusto ko lng maging sure sa bike na bibilin ko..

Nilinaw ko lang mga kapatid.. actually naapreciate ko si sir caterpillar and siopao master sa mga infos na binigay nila sakin.. *cheers*

Right now ill be monitoring 2 threads na kasi im also interested into the guinness model as well..

Eto ang tanong ko.. pwede bang sumama sa meet and greet na yan kahit wala akong bike?

Old 02-15-2013, 03:00 AM

For guiness fans out there, their is good news and bad news, good news is ang dami bumili guiness bike Bad news is 3 days palang nag kakaubusan konti nalang ang daw ang stocks. Called global craze limited stocks nalang na here is the link TCP fan page. Read the comment on the FB.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...0958769&type=3

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...0958769&type=3

If interested kayo bili na kayo habang meron pa, If maubusan ok lang dahil this march daw darating yung bagong sgm storm.

Old 02-15-2013, 07:40 AM
All-Mountain

Nice nice nice!

Dumadami na ang affordable FBs! Congrats sa mga purchase nyo and wag kalimutan ang pinaka importanteng bagay sa pag bike... Mag enjoy and ride safe!

Old 02-15-2013, 07:42 AM
Downhiller

went to Global Craze yesterday to check this out, i believe the Guiness is a very good alternative for those wanting to get a Storm in fact i find the frame better looking than the Storm(matter of subjectivity), it looks very nice and sporty, the seatpost and the T Handlebar is not the same as the Storm but to those who loves flat black, this one would click, I dont think the t handlebar config would be an issue to many considering maganda naman ang pagka kabit, kung gustong ibahain gagastos lang sa pag bili ng GUB/Aber stem extender worth around 2,000 or the one being sold in RBC for around 750 pesos,which I find sturdy enough and is a very good alternative.

Old 02-15-2013, 07:50 AM

Magkakaron pa kaya ng stock nito? Parang guinness na kukunin ko kaso sa march ko pa makukuha un backpay ko..

Old 02-15-2013, 08:20 AM
Downhiller

echozzerr0 thanks man

Anyway, yung guinness sigurado magkaka stock pa yan pero judging from the news na nagkakaunisan eh dapat maging vigilant ka na.makipag usap ka na sa mga bike store sa quiapo like global craze or cycleart at kaibiganin ang mga saleslady (wag si rhea ha) pars makapag reserve ka or ma tip ka agad kung meron delivery. Tulad ng storm, baka kasi may mga nag hohoard kaya nauubos agad eh so tsaga lang talga

Old 02-15-2013, 10:43 AM
All-Mountain

Guys, Check this out.

http://www.pinoymtbiker.org/forum/sh...527#post605527

Baka po interesado kayo.

Old 02-15-2013, 11:46 AM

i have seen BB mounted FDs in some LBS, usually they are used by bikers with gravity/DH frames which cannot accomodate a seatpost mounted FD

re: 2 chainring-shifter combo: just like in your mtb, the mechanic can adjust the FD to work with the 3 position shifter. "pinapatay" nila yung isang pwesto.

Old 02-15-2013, 01:42 PM

echozzer0 - Sir wag kayo mag alala pag na ubusan kayo sabi sakin ng mga piang tanungan ko na bike shop sa summer na lalabas ang bagong storm, feeling ko pag naubos ang guinness ang storm naman ang maginging mabenta after maubos ang storm ulit saka ulit mag lalabas ng guinness, kung baga alternate sila

Old 02-15-2013, 02:15 PM
Bike Commuter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcs888 View Post
i have seen BB mounted FDs in some LBS, usually they are used by bikers with gravity/DH frames which cannot accomodate a seatpost mounted FD

re: 2 chainring-shifter combo: just like in your mtb, the mechanic can adjust the FD to work with the 3 position shifter. "pinapatay" nila yung isang pwesto.
Sir, question ulit, (sorry I have to confirm my ideas hehe!)

Granny's don't work well with FB's? I have my rides every weekend in our place in Laguna and go to Tayak Hill with steep climbs (though it's a paved road). I just thought that I have it installed still to tackle that uphill climb (Though I cannot still complete the climb with my mtb). Thanks for your helpful replies!

Old 02-15-2013, 03:55 PM

@siops : sige try kong kaibiganin si rhea hahaha mukhang winner to eh haha

@jepot : sa ngayon kasi 75% guinness na ako eh 25% kay storm.. nagustuhan ko un design nya lalo na un sa stickers, madaling tangalin ayon sa reviews. Sa March ko pa makukuha un backpay ko sana may stock sila by that time kungdi storm na bibilin ko since halos magkapareho sila.. sabik na ko mag bike eh hehe..