PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community
Go Back   PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community > Bicycle Commuting & Advocacy > Environmental & Nature News

Environmental & Nature News provide a global perspective on environmental issues, and to promote thought, discussion, and awareness among our members.

Bike Town Cyclery King's Bicycle Store MT Pro Bikes Gran Trail Cycles Global Craze Bikes Newton Multi Sales G. C. Cyclist Decimal Cycle Supply Cycle Art Marketing IronBike.net MyNextBike.com Azione Sports ISOLINK Mtb Suspension System Deuter backpack, hydration bags & accessories - Dynamic Sports Corp. Comet Cycle Center - SFDM, QC Mars Kingdom Cycle Trading Bike101 Bikeshop Ryder / Maxxis / Infinity Italia / Shimano Business Venture 888 - 12 O'Clock Bike Components Parts and Accessories.

Old 02-15-2013, 12:38 PM
Bike Commuter

Default SB 2856 - cleaner air to breath

Hi fellow bikers,

There is a law that aims to reduce fumes that we breath and this impacts us who bike with fumes of gas guzzlers.

SB 2856 or the alternative fuel act has been approved in the Senate but stuck in Bicam and possibly being blocked by the DOF (for unknown reasons).

We all want cleaner air so let your voice be heard. Please sign this petition at Change.org so that we can let our voices be heard by our policymakers.

It will be good to see all ride a bike but if we cannot ask them to let go their vehicles, then we might as well convince them to use a more environmentally friendly ride.

Bike safe everyone!

Last edited by DonCamote; 02-15-2013 at 12:42 PM. Reason: to correct
Links
Old 02-15-2013, 12:59 PM
Single-Speeder

Default Re: SB 2856 - cleaner air to breath

i've already signed the online petition

Bikers, Brothers we ride as Brothers!
Old 02-15-2013, 01:08 PM
Bike Commuter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadj0ck View Post
i've already signed the online petition
Salamat tadj0ck

Marami din dito ang may kotse so allow me to summarize the benefits:

1) To all of us - Clean air,nothing instant but every vehicle counts
2) Buyer - free registration
3) Buyer - no coding - you are allowed all days of the week to drive your hybrid/electric car
4) Buyer - free parking
5) Buyer - price will be comparative to existing gas only cars, currently they are still priced almost twice as gas guzzlers but if this law is passed, we may be able to see a drastic reduction in taxes which are the primary reason for their being expensive.

Last edited by DonCamote; 02-15-2013 at 01:20 PM. Reason: correction
Old 02-15-2013, 01:14 PM
Bike Commuter

Done! We really need alternatives to Jeeps and tricycles, especially the latter.

Old 02-15-2013, 01:24 PM
Downhiller

done! I wonder what will happen kung lahat na or Majority ng pinoy eh naka hybrid na? libre pa rin ang registration? no coding pa rin? free parking pa rin? sorry kung di ko nabasa lahat.

Alam naman natin ang mga pinoy, hanggang 5-year lang ang mga plano...

Old 02-15-2013, 01:37 PM
Bike Commuter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhei View Post
done! I wonder what will happen kung lahat na or Majority ng pinoy eh naka hybrid na? libre pa rin ang registration? no coding pa rin? free parking pa rin? sorry kung di ko nabasa lahat.

Alam naman natin ang mga pinoy, hanggang 5-year lang ang mga plano...
Thanks Mauzmon and Lhei

To answer your question, this law has a 10 year validity and may be revisited later if things do change. Kahit na minority man lang - 10% of cars in 10 years is already a progress.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:17 PM
Bike Fanatic

I somewhat do not agree with this ... particularly on the alternative fuels, lalo na yung biofuel.

Alternative Fuel may lead to food security issues - Isn't it scary to think if farmlands are used instead to grow 'fuel' crops instead of food? As it is, uubos na farm lands due to roads, urbanization, etc? As with any business, siyempre farmers will opt to grow crops that will yield more profits.

Sense ko this hybrid/alternative fuel ek ek is a compromise forced by oil companies. Kasi bakit hindi na lang pure electric?

- Another, yes this will reduce emissions PER vehicle, but doesn't this further reinforce MORE cars on the road? 50% less emissions nga pero 50% more cars .... eh di ganun din?

- Free parking for hybrids/electric/etc ...? Tataka lang ako ... bakit Parking for bikes mismo hindi magawa?

Overall my sense is it's still car centric. If you want less emissions then reduce cars on the road via more comfortable mass transport systems, bike lanes, sidewalks, etc. Imagine, 20% pa lang ng Pinoy ang may kotse sa Manila. 20 %. And already hayop na sa traffic. Yang mga traffic na nakikita nyo pag holiday (Christmas, Valentines etc) when a lot of people decide to go out on the road ... preview of things to come yan.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:47 PM
Global Moderator

i agree with marcs on this one. i heard about it on a radio show and yes the term alternative fuel is vague. hybrids will just delay the inevitable. yes we'll have less emmisions but we're still burning fossil fuel.

and the argument of growing corn and other crops for fuel instead of food, that's just absurd. but it's happening now, forgot if it's in mexico or the US.

heck, push that there be business districts in every city so that people don't need to travel far just to get to work. push for better public transport system. push for more facilities that will promote cycling, walking or jogging.

i guess i'm just looking for a quick solution rather than this one.

Old 02-15-2013, 04:12 PM
Bike Fanatic

at least a bike ... zero emission that runs on fat

Old 02-15-2013, 04:27 PM
Bike Commuter

marcs & anthrax76,

Regarding the biofuels, these are explicitly not included in SB2856.
Quote:
SEC. 4. Coverage. - This Act shall cover electric, hybrid and other
alternative fuel vehicles but shall not include vehicles powered by gasoline, petroleum, bio-diesel and bio-ethanol.
I'm with you with the mass transport, bikelanes (I'm a biker first and foremost and an advocate of the bike lanes initiative too). Would prefer to have less cars on the road also.

However, cars are not going away in our lifetime and we cannot drag these drivers out of their cars (sometimes I wish I can do that), so we would rather have cars with less fumes by influencing them to go for the hybrid/electric in their next purchase rather than go for the all gasoline models.

Old 02-15-2013, 05:01 PM
Global Moderator

I'd like to see the government push for something like this

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...pg-hybrid.html

or this

http://www.teslamotors.com/

but guess what, we actually have this...here and now....with no freakin' budget from the gov't. and the product was duly certified by DOE.

that's the reason by hybrids lost it's appeal on me. meron din yung compressed air powered, but the argument is..you'd still require power from somewhere to compress the air.

Old 02-15-2013, 05:49 PM
Bike Fanatic

dapat kotse parang sa Flinstones ....

Old 02-17-2013, 09:24 AM
Bike Commuter

@Anthrax76,

These are good and hopefully the french idea and Aviso take off.

The Tesla is on the road now but their line is for those with money to burn, hopefully they make that practically priced.

Nearer to this point are the hybrids - for example the CR Z and the Prius might be priced closer to a Civic or Altis if the tax incentives are given.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:17 AM
Global Moderator

yung car that used compressed air, alam ko french engineer working with F1 engines.

AFAIK, each car is equipped with 2 tanks of compressed air. 1 tank is capable of travelling about 100km, max speed of 60kmh. it can carry up to 4 passengers including the driver. it's made with fiberglass.

thing is..if you want to get a car, you can't import it. the country has to make it for themselves, this is to prevent transport of vehicles which also consumes oil. and the engineer only want 1% of the sales. the cars can be profitably sold for 100K pesos. the air tanks can be refilled at any gas station than can refill tires.

how swell is that deal?

Old 02-20-2013, 10:53 AM
Bike Commuter

anthrax76, it is swell indeed. Hopefully we get these on the streets sooner.

9 more signatures to go for this petition!

Links
Old 02-20-2013, 02:37 PM

wala namang masama kung tutulong tayo sa petition. madali lang gawan ng slousyon ang problema sa matinding traffic. ang gusto lang naman ng author ay mabawasan ang polusyon at makatulong para sa mga susunod na henerasyon. pass this bill and solve traffic problems at the same time. starting point lang naman itong kay sir james deakin... madami pang developments kapag pumasa na ang bill na ito. a simple way to contribute for our environment.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:04 PM
Downhiller

I signed it a few minutes before this post. 370 signatures to go as of 2:00PM

Old 02-22-2013, 10:15 AM
Bike Commuter

@Gundam168, @Amaneleven

Thanks for the contribution. A good deed contributed for our home - earth.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:57 PM
Downhiller

^
Actually nalaman ko 'to sa Facebook ko. The "Open Letter to Filipinos" ni James Deakin was forwarded to me several times by some FB friends. When I signed the petition and proceeded to invite my other Facebook friends, it turned out na yung mga nag share ng article and those who "liked" it, didn't even sign the petition.

I invited at least 50 close friends to sign the petition but only one actually did sign the petition. Boggles the mind!

Old 02-23-2013, 09:02 AM
Cross-country

Just wondering...

Hybrid cars use a mix of traditional gasoline and batteries. Of course, the high-capacity batteries in these cars are charged using electricity.

Air pollution is most problematic in Luzon cities. But how is electricity generated in Luzon? Our power plants are mostly coal-based and oil-based. Less than 25% are run using "cleaner" technologies (geothermal, hydroelectric, wind-farms). This works bettter in Europe, specially in France, due to their nuclear plants supplying 75% of their electricity.

http://www.doe.gov.ph/ep/ExistingPlants.htm

So would this really reduce air pollution? Bawas nga ang car emissions, dagdag naman ang usok ng coal-based at fossil-fuel power plants. Am I missing something?