PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community
Go Back   PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community > Home Trails > Single Speeder, 29ers & 69ers

Notices

Single Speeder, 29ers & 69ers For 29ers, 69ers and Single Speeder Fanatics

Bike Town Cyclery King's Bicycle Store Gran Trail Cycles Global Craze Bikes Newton Multi Sales Decimal Cycle Supply Cycle Art Marketing Deuter backpack, hydration bags & accessories - Dynamic Sports Corp. Comet Cycle Center - SFDM, QC Mars Kingdom Cycle Trading Bike101 Bikeshop Ryder / Maxxis / Infinity Italia / Shimano HitchPro Philippines Red Bike Zone

Old 12-27-2012, 10:24 AM
Freeride

Default Re: Hardtail 29er built bike from low-high price range

for me, I have 2 ways of digesting the considerations I want in buying a built-bikes.. I separate the consideration for Frame and Components.. If I already considering upgrading components even before I actually buy the bike, I looked for the frame that I like specifically for its geometry.. But if I have no plan to upgrade the components, I would buy the bike with the best component for my budget.. Either way, I would end up with a good frame or good components.. there is always a compromise in buying a built-bikes.. If you are not in a hurry, it is more fun to built your own..
Links
Old 12-27-2012, 07:55 PM
Downhiller

At your budget (P35K) go for custom build and use some pre-owned parts like cockpit and wheelset. Example, For brakes go for bnew, drivetrain, inspect them carefully. Select your frame carefully para sulit.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:21 PM
Bike Commuter

^^ Inputs pretty much appreciated. Was also thinking of going the custom build route and I have a rough idea of some of parts and prices.

Here's a rough spec breakdown
Frame: ?
Fork: Epicon 29er qr 9mm (7k?)
Drive train: Alivio or Deore (8.5k-13.5k respectively)
Wheelset: custom at least 8-10k.
Tires: folding maxxis crossmarks are at least 2k a piece, wirebead I have no idea?
Cockpit: 2.5k or less
Misc: 1k

Old 01-08-2013, 02:32 PM

I have a 29ner project. . .just out of curiosity. . . I build one with pre-owned parts to try out the ride or "feel" supposedly last weekend

Last time I tried one out was the Globe Cordillera challenge of 2012 .it was a model Niner Fullsus from Grantrail. .with Xt, fox, ztr, Chris King etc. . . It was being pushed uphill by a lady. . . .being a gentleman, I offered her my bike. . . .

she sat on the saddle and peddaled uphill with my light XC bike . . She replied that I was an Angel:-) must be the ICT;-)

On the other hand. . I tried to fit the FS Niner, adjusted the seatpost clamp of the dropper. .activated propedal to "3". It was medium but i did not have a shock pump to adjust the fox fork in front and the one at the rear, i locked the fork . . .then peddaled uphill. .

On the way to camp 1, i passed a group of my officemates resting on the side of the road. . I was puffing and pushing hard, then shouted go Niner! Go Niner! And so they noticed the changed in my "horse"

I reached camp1. . But i was dead tired. My heart beat was louder than the background noise. . Holy Cow! Ang hirap. . .was it the elvation? The thin air, the long uphill travel?

I concluded that 29ner is more difficult to climp than 26. . Alphabolt quickly replied the air pressure of the shox might not have been tuned to my weight (220lbs) . .likewise, cockpit might have been too small. .

Now 29ner hardtail seems to be "in". .after a few beers last holidays, my friends encouraged me to try out the 29 again and judge the ride after testing it in different scenarios. .

So now my 29 is built. .parts from excess 26 mtb's. .cost less than my Fullsus 26 frames. " .only thing lacking is crank(may hallowtech bb na). . Anyone there with a spare hallowtech crank?

By next weekend i hope to try it out at Nuvali
Old 01-29-2013, 09:05 AM

Sir hihingi po sana ng advice. I am looking for Spez Hardrock 29er and I found a built bike with Acera RD and Altus Crankset, XCT fork. Mejo po nagdadalawang isip pa ko dahil mejo pricey for the spec. Is that really worth to buy a Specialized bike?
Links
Old 01-29-2013, 10:44 AM
All-Mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samvitug View Post
@Tomas: I rarely see Ryder bikes on the street, the 29er never ko pa nakita. Try to check out the new Vision 29er built bike as well, baka di rin sila nagkakalayo ng presyo
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomas01 View Post
mga sir... ask lang po...may nakagamit na po ba sa inyo ng ryder 29er?? gusto ko kasi bumili,,mdyo maganda na specs niya,,
I own a Ryder 2013 29er, bought it for 18K and logged 400KM-ish on it. So far its riding great! I just upgraded the seats with selle italia(for comfort) and went clipless(for efficiency.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:29 AM

Default 29ers Within my Budget

Hi 29er Bikers, I need your advice/suggest on which is the best 29er built bike, based on performance and price from the P26,000 range? I am a heavy built, 5'8 guy and this will be my first 29er bike. These are my options: 2013 GT Karakoram 3.0 29er Hydr, 2013 Trek Wahoo, Trek Mamba, Trek Marlin or 2013 Cannondale Trail 5 29er?
According to Mountain Bike Action Magazine, they firmly recommended the 2013 Cannondale Trail 5 29er. What is your opinion? Please Help Me! Thanks.

Milvert
Old 02-04-2013, 12:40 PM
Downhiller

Default Re: 29ers Within my Budget

Just read earlier similar/related topics or threads. You can get your answers from previous threads.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:47 PM
Downhiller

I agree with nujsimon.. read up on past threads here. There is a wealth of information to gain.

How heavy are you? if you are over 250 pounds I suggest the GT Karakoram. They make extremely strong & stiff frames. Components are more likely to break before a GT frame.

If you are less than 200 pounds I think the Cannondale Trail 5 will have the best components among the bikes you listed.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:53 PM
Bike Commuter

Just to add to mix: keep your eyes peeled for 2nd hand 29ers. They will most likely be spec'd higher than new bikes at the same price. Just bring someone along to inspect the bike with you.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:58 PM

Among the bikes you have mentioned, the Trek Mamba has the best components and also the priciest at 36K+ (depending on the store). So the Mamba is not actually on the 26K price range.

For your budget, the Cannondale Trail 5 is a good choice.

You might want to include a Giant Revel in your choices.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:38 PM
Bike Commuter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviLopez View Post
Sir hihingi po sana ng advice. I am looking for Spez Hardrock 29er and I found a built bike with Acera RD and Altus Crankset, XCT fork. Mejo po nagdadalawang isip pa ko dahil mejo pricey for the spec. Is that really worth to buy a Specialized bike?
Asked a similar question to my friend an owner of a bike shop. He answered YES for the frame. Walang frame lang na binebenta ang specialized na entry level usually mas mahal pa sa tatlong hardrock kung meron man (stumpjumper). Unless fake or kinahoy sa built bike.
Components wise kung beginner ka OK na yan. Pwede naman mag-upgrade pag-laspag na o meron nasira. In that case syempre dapat mas maganda na ipapasok mo...like 10 speed drivetrain, at Air fork.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacopapapao View Post
Asked a similar question to my friend an owner of a bike shop. He answered YES for the frame. Walang frame lang na binebenta ang specialized na entry level usually mas mahal pa sa tatlong hardrock kung meron man (stumpjumper). Unless fake or kinahoy sa built bike.
Components wise kung beginner ka OK na yan. Pwede naman mag-upgrade pag-laspag na o meron nasira. In that case syempre dapat mas maganda na ipapasok mo...like 10 speed drivetrain, at Air fork.
x2.. specialized name.. yan ung babayaran mo jan..
Old 02-10-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh Anomaly View Post
I own a Ryder 2013 29er, bought it for 18K and logged 400KM-ish on it. So far its riding great! I just upgraded the seats with selle italia(for comfort) and went clipless(for efficiency.
yes sir, sulit talaga,, i own it for 2months, 400+ km na dn ako,, tpos medyo dumadaan ako sa trails,, ok naman,, panalitan ko ng pedals at bb,, medyo maingay na agad after 2months,, so far so good,, 125 kg pa naman ako,, hahaha
Old 02-10-2013, 02:41 PM
Cross-country

go for GT karakoram 3.0..pang all around even on hard trail.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:08 PM

Would you still consider buying the cannondale trail5 over the gt timberline having a 4K difference in price? Di ko kasa masyado alam yung parts eh if I could justify the price difference. thanks.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:00 PM
Cross-country

go for karakoram nlng sir chito.di ka po magsisisi
Old 02-12-2013, 09:57 AM
All-Mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomas01 View Post
yes sir, sulit talaga,, i own it for 2months, 400+ km na dn ako,, tpos medyo dumadaan ako sa trails,, ok naman,, panalitan ko ng pedals at bb,, medyo maingay na agad after 2months,, so far so good,, 125 kg pa naman ako,, hahaha
Whoah may mas mabigat pa pala sa akin? :P I'm at 108Kg. Heavy weights in the haus!

Yes the pedals are extra sucky. Although pinalitan na ng LBS ng alloy(no brand) pedal, nagpalit pa rin ako ng shimano clipless.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:22 AM
Bike Commuter

i just bought a GT Timberline 1.0 (Lime Green Color). Okay pala ang 29er. sarap i-pedal! ang laki pa! hehehe! bagay sa mga 6"0 pataas ang height! hehehe.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:28 AM

tanung ko lang mga sir may binebenta 29er sken merida big nine xt edition size SMALL, ang height ko is 5'11. ok lang ba yun sa height ko? TIA
Links

Tags
29ers, big wheels, cannondale, gary fisher, gt karakoram