PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community
Go Back   PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community > Home Trails > Newbie's Frequently Asked Questions

Newbie's Frequently Asked Questions For newbies who wanted to ask any info on mountainbiking stuff.

Bike Town Cyclery King's Bicycle Store MT Pro Bikes Gran Trail Cycles Global Craze Bikes Newton Multi Sales G. C. Cyclist Decimal Cycle Supply Cycle Art Marketing IronBike.net MyNextBike.com Azione Sports ISOLINK Mtb Suspension System Deuter backpack, hydration bags & accessories - Dynamic Sports Corp. Comet Cycle Center - SFDM, QC Mars Kingdom Cycle Trading Bike101 Bikeshop Ryder / Maxxis / Infinity Italia / Shimano Business Venture 888 - 12 O'Clock Bike Components Parts and Accessories.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:15 PM
Single-Speeder

Default Re: Best built bike for 15k budget?

@jay22arr i bought a jamis trail x3 (though hindi women's specific the geometry can fit ladies) XS, for 13k. bought it at bikezilla..

hope it helps

Bikers, Brothers we ride as Brothers!
Links
Old 02-05-2013, 12:20 PM

She is within the 14-16 size ng bike so that means she is around xs to s sizes. Yes we do both do love trails we do trail running in different events and we were scheduled din for this year. Kaya we opt for 15k built with light trail ready.
Saan ung papi's ride sir kahit pm niyo na lang po. Thanks will try to ask such pwede pa la yun akala ko yung mga stock lang nila.

Sir tadjock san po yung bikezilla? PaPM ng place sir at details ng store. Will try to check those. Nagaalangan kasi kami mgcheck sa quiapo we are not aware of the difference between knock offs and original parts. May naexperience kami sa carti sabi ng ngbebenta fake yung frame tapos add daw kami 4500 palitan niya ng oris khs frame. Fake khs pala yung nasa built bike nila.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:33 PM
Single-Speeder

pm sent!

don't forget helmet, gloves ah! ride safe!

Old 02-05-2013, 12:40 PM

Yup. Will do sir. Safety first. Will post some more kapag nakapagcheck kami ulit ng units. Thanks mga sir.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:17 PM

@zaft. thanks sir. quite disappointed ka ba sa trail7 mo?

@evenron. 17K yung nakita kong trail 6. yung trail 7, 15K.

@anthrax. ahehe. onga sir. ahm. gusto ko po sana ng bike na magagamit ko going to work (Laguna to Cavite). at the same time, gagamitin ko sana going to nuvali or tagaytay and pag nasanay na po, ma-try na din yung mga trails. siguro nga boss, bikes on the same price ranges are the almost the same, kaya ill just go for the one na pasok sa budget and what suits me. hehehe. thank you master for the advice!

Old 02-05-2013, 07:23 PM
Global Moderator

@jay22arr, papi's ride is near the corner of n. domingo and granada st. they're in facebook just in case you wanna check.

@jillofthehill, pwede mo naman magamit yun for both. nung isa pa lang bike ko, bike commute and trail duties siya pareho. it's better that way kasi sanay ako sa handling niya on any situation.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:23 PM
Lurker

hi guys new here (not really hehehe). planning to buy a bike
and ang pinagpipilian ko is vision chase (12k) and norco storm 6.1 (16k)
pero im leaning towards the vision para mas may budget pa for helmet, gloves etc.
TIA for opinions and suggestions!

Last edited by ecks; 02-06-2013 at 03:00 AM. Reason: add
Old 02-06-2013, 09:07 AM

@anthrax76. okidoks. thanks master!

Old 02-07-2013, 05:00 AM

Hi guys, newbie lang ako sa bikes would you help me to buy a good mountain bikes worth 15k and saan shop maganda bumili? I'm from san pedro laguna area. 5'11" 85kg

Old 02-07-2013, 06:11 AM
Single-Speeder

quiapo or cartimar sir.. cycleart is good.. (iwasan mo yung tibong attendant...)

go to the daughter of the owner nasa cashier minsan yun... (cute pa) bwahaha!

GT Avalanche is nice, Vision too! don't forget your helmet and gloves

Links
Old 02-07-2013, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadj0ck View Post
quiapo or cartimar sir.. cycleart is good.. (iwasan mo yung tibong attendant...)

go to the daughter of the owner nasa cashier minsan yun... (cute pa) bwahaha!

GT Avalanche is nice, Vision too! don't forget your helmet and gloves
meron ka bang alam na mas malapit? malayo kasi ok lang sakin kung may sasakyan ako hehe... near alabang or laguna area baka may alam ka sir

Old 02-09-2013, 08:37 AM
All-Mountain

@dbase
gran trail sa molito alabang, but doubt they'll have something in the 15k range. Pwede din bili ka sa cartimar, then sakay mo na lang sa bus pauwi ung nabili mo na bike.

Old 02-09-2013, 06:33 PM
Bike Fanatic

sa 15k budget, mga nakikita ko na ok is:

GT avalanche
cannondale trail 7
mongoose tyax sport
vision 1.5HD

at 17k, mongoose tyax comp I think has better stock components compared to trail 6. shimano non-series hydraulic brakes, 9 speed 2013 acera ang most of the components bukod sa suntour crank at FD, xcm-hlo na rin. trail 6 ata is on mech brakes?

Old 02-09-2013, 06:55 PM
Downhiller

Kanina we were at Quiapo together with some members of these fora. For the first time I saw the SGM MTB series. What caught my eye was the SGM Soul. For P15k, what you will get are:

- All Shimano Alivio groupset (9-sp x3; cranks, BB, RD, FD, etc)
- Shimano Non-series hyrdro
- The rest of the parts are all Zoom (handlebar, stem, etc)
- Saddle, handle grip, padals, rim (double wall), are SGM
- Size 17
- I think some shops have the RST for fork but I think the others are suntour
- CST 2.1" tires

The frame looks good, typical of SGMs, and the components are decent for its price. Perhaps the only weakness is the fork. But that is better than the lower end model.

If I have only P15k to spend, I'd go for this. Then I'd save for an Epicon later. You can stay with Alivio for a long time unless you really are into heavy trail and off road riding. But then again, you can probably use the Alivio till it breaks, then replace them. For mostly road riding, the Alivio will serve one well for quite some time.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:13 PM
Bike Fanatic

yeah, i forgot the SGM soul. sulit at naka alivio. fork at wheelset na lang papalitan sa soul IMO

Old 02-11-2013, 07:58 AM
Downhiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sithruz View Post
yeah, i forgot the SGM soul. sulit at naka alivio. fork at wheelset na lang papalitan sa soul IMO
Yes, unless you are priming for an XT, SLS, or future XTR components, the Alivio group will serve anyone well for a long time. You can work for the upper end components in terms of years (3-5 years) while Alivio will likely be with you at the time. Performance is also solid with little delays in shifting and having a decently strong brakes.

Next immediate project will likely be a better fork. An Epicon will likely set one back P7.5k.

After that, a better wheelset. That should be in the P4.5k to 12k, depending on one's ideal or near ideal wheel set.

If we take a modest route but performance improving route, an epicon fork and a 8k wheelset is already a good upgrade that will improve ride and performance immensely. The cost is steep and is like getting a 2nd SGM Soul (P15K+ on the upgrade), but the upgrade is definitely worth it, espcially the fork, which will have a noticeable impact. The old wheelset can be used as a backup in case of broken spokes or busted wheelset. Or they can be used with different tires, say slicks for road use, or other type of tires for more specific technical challenges, without having remove tires from the new one.

The good thing in all these is that the Alivio group set and the decent SGM frame will likely stay solid. At the worst, I can think of a busted RD, but even that is a P700 or so replacement, not in the thousands. But the rest will likely be there for the next 3 years at least till one can save up for the other parts that one wants. One still has a more solid performing bike than some others of the same price.

If one assembles this lineup instead of the Soul as a built-bike, my estimate is it will be between P18-20k with a similar alivio group set and shimano non-series hyrdro brakes. That's a P3k-5k savings right there. This is why I tend to swing for the SGM Soul as it is the best P15k MTB for me. Upgrade the fork and wheelset, and you are in the P30k total. Eventually switching to an SLX group set, your total goes to P49-50k. Now, think if you have P50k now, what setup/specs would it be?

P18.5k for slx gruppo
P10k for wheel set
P 5k for decent frame
P 7.5k for epicon fork.
P 5.5k for other things (headset, saddle, seat tube, etc).
----------
P46.0k

It's just shy ofP50k. I've been generous with the wheel set. One can opt for a shimano m15 wheelset for P4.5k and now you are getting near the P40k range. I wouldn't think of going Deore anymore though if one wants it, just knock off about P5k off the SLX price. Now you are in the sub P40k price range. But Deore is just 1 step jump from Alivio. 2-3 steps jump in gruppo is the best thus SLX should be the target upgrade.

One can see that the SGM Soul route is fairly a good route to take, isn't it? It's fairly close to a typical near ideal P45-50k bike but having a bike now to use if without waiting 2-4 years for you to save up for your ideal bike . If you have P15k with you now the Soul will tide you over until you can upgrade the parts measured in years, not months. You'd still have some spare parts of the alivio lying around (plus wheelset) as spares or something you can sell off later for a modest price thus still lowering your total cost even for a small amount. Or you can add a bit of here and there and assemble another bike from the old alivio group and maybe sell that off for P8-10k. Remember, this is an all alivio grouppo with a shimano hydro non-series brakes. Unless terribly beaten and really worn out, it should hold its price well. I'd say P8-9k is really a decent price to resell the bike after 2 years. That would mean, the price of this ideal or near ideal bike with SLX gruppo is down to P40k give or take!

I've played around with other scenarios, like an some lower end MTBs like the SGM CJ, or Intensity. I've also tried to initially look for other brands like the 1.5, Chase, Intensity, etc as possible contenders., but the SGM Soul is the best P15k if you match up parts-for-parts and future upgradability. The Soul's all Alivio and shimano non-series hydro on a decent frame is the one that always clinches it.

The Soul's only real weakness that is of import is the RST fork which is definitely inferior and will likely be the first order of business as far as upgrades go. But after that, you basically now have a solid P22.5k MTB, right? And the good news, is that as you save up for the really nice upgrades, you have a pretty good performing bike that is hard to touch.

Look at other name brands built bikes like Cannondales, Giant, Trek, etc., even at P20-25k, they won't really match up to the SGM sould spec's wise, unless you are after their frame or the name of the bike. But to me, where it matters most as far as MTB goes are the gruppo, frame, wheelset, and fork in that order. You'd find that with brand names, you get defeated only by the name. But the SGM frames are robust and often times, really well made and even good looking. So, for me, this branding is moot and not of import.

For those thinking of a P15k, I state my case for the SGM Soul. Get your calculators and paper out, list down the specs and the prices of other brands. You'll find that the Soul is very hard to beat for a P15k MTB. Even better is that, it affords one a very good upgrade path, with minimal losses in expenses, while having a very good bike now in the alivio and shimano hydro combo on a good looking sgm frame. And as I wrote, the only real fault of the SGM Soul is the fork. You can wait for 3-6 months to a year to replace that with an epicon. But once done, even if you don't plan to upgrade the gruppo or wheelset, you basically have a very, very good MTB that is hard to match up in terms of price and performance if you've gone some other brand/route.

Old 02-22-2013, 05:37 PM

looks promising talaga ang SGM Soul... ang pogi ng frame eh...
torn ako kung upgrade ko pa CJ ko or benta ko then bili ng Soul...

Old 02-25-2013, 07:36 PM
Single-Speeder

ask ko lang kung sa tingin nyo ok na ito for 7k:
XIX Earl MTB

http://www.sulit.com.ph/index.php/vi...Position,1-3,3

pinag-retire ko na kasi yung beater bike ko (xyclone mtb), balak kong palitan ng medyo mas maganda at hopefully mas matibay
pinagpipilian ko kasi is either this or SGM storm foldie konti lang kasi price difference nila

THANKS!

Old 02-25-2013, 07:39 PM
Global Moderator

Xix....hindi ko na matandaan kung same model nung pina-raffle nung christmas party..pero natuwa kami kasi race geometry siya.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:02 AM
Bike Commuter

Newbie biker also here.. just sold my SGM Charles Jerry and purchased a new Cannondale Trail 5.. Torned ako nun between gt avalanche 3.0 and cannondaile trail 5.. most people that I know prefer Gt avalanche 3.0, ang kaso mejo malayo saken yung bilihan ng GT.. so I bought the Cannondale Trail 5 at Bike101 Marcos Highway,(im from Marikina).tsaka para madale den ibalek sa shop kung may problema. So far ok nman.Happy naman ako sa bike.

***Ok den naman yung SGM charles jerry, pinangtrail ko den few times.all stock. Kaso konte konte nasisira parts, replaced cogset, yung saddle parang bibigay na den, yung tires parang mahinang klase,manipis.parate ako nafaflatan. parang may lagutok den dun sa crankset yata.. kaya I opted to sell it ,instead of replacing parts. pero kung road use lang walang problema.

Links