PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community
Go Back   PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community > Home Trails > Newbie's Frequently Asked Questions

Newbie's Frequently Asked Questions For newbies who wanted to ask any info on mountainbiking stuff.

Bike Town Cyclery King's Bicycle Store Gran Trail Cycles Global Craze Bikes Newton Multi Sales G. C. Cyclist Decimal Cycle Supply Cycle Art Marketing IronBike.net MyNextBike.com Azione Sports Deuter backpack, hydration bags & accessories - Dynamic Sports Corp. Comet Cycle Center - SFDM, QC Mars Kingdom Cycle Trading Bike101 Bikeshop Ryder / Maxxis / Infinity Italia / Shimano HitchPro Philippines

Old 12-14-2012, 02:18 PM
Downhiller

Default Re: 30k budget bike

@mynameisrolf you can include Deore Groupset + Giant ATX

Links
Old 12-14-2012, 02:53 PM
Downhiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameisrolf View Post
Hi Guys,

I'm having this dilemma about my bike. Should I go with Alivio Gruppo + Giant XTC frame or Deore Gruppo + Merida TFS 1000 frame? Can you suggest the pros and cons of both choices. TIA
If you plan to ride XC.. Get the lightest frame you can afford then add components that you can slowly upgrade overtime.

If you plan to do AM or downhill get the best frame and suspension you can afford.

Old 12-14-2012, 03:44 PM
Bike Commuter

@jnh01 I can't include both because of my budget.

@xtyling sir, thanks for the advice. I'm leaning towards building an XC MTB. So advice nyo po is buy a good frame then settle with alivio then upgrade later na lang?

Old 12-14-2012, 04:04 PM
Downhiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameisrolf View Post
@xtyling sir, thanks for the advice. I'm leaning towards building an XC MTB. So advice nyo po is buy a good frame then settle with alivio then upgrade later na lang?
With smaller budgets (20k or less) i would advise just get the best frame first then afordable components.. Because when you start to upgrade, piece by piece only when parts breaks down or wears out.. Its easier.

Now if your budget was higher (30k) its easier to just buy a good mid level frame with mid level components. I started with a GT Avalanche 1.0 bought for 26k.. My only worthy upgrades so far are my pedals and grips.. I changed my brakes because i felt the stopping power would be better but turns out it was the same.

Finally if your budget was much higher (50k and above) go for the best frame + XT components.. Then wheel set afterwards.

Last edited by Xtyling; 12-14-2012 at 04:11 PM. Reason: Wrong thread post
Old 12-15-2012, 09:14 AM
Bike Commuter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtyling View Post
With smaller budgets (20k or less) i would advise just get the best frame first then afordable components.. Because when you start to upgrade, piece by piece only when parts breaks down or wears out.. Its easier.

Now if your budget was higher (30k) its easier to just buy a good mid level frame with mid level components. I started with a GT Avalanche 1.0 bought for 26k.. My only worthy upgrades so far are my pedals and grips.. I changed my brakes because i felt the stopping power would be better but turns out it was the same.

Finally if your budget was much higher (50k and above) go for the best frame + XT components.. Then wheel set afterwards.
Thank you sir for all the advices, my budget would be 40k and with that I can afford a good frame, GIANT XTC 2011 then deore group and maybe a Shimano MT15 wheelset. and 10k for other components. I think that might maximize my budget. Don't worry sir, nakabili na ako ng helmet ko and gloves (mas nauna pa sa bike )

Links
Old 12-15-2012, 04:50 PM
Downhiller

A budget of 40k will get you an Awesome Bike..
You can easily get a Giant XTC frame with Shimano 2013 SLX Gruppo.
That would be very, very nice to start with.. You probably won't need to upgrade for years unless you break something.

Old 01-03-2013, 05:43 PM

Mga sir, ano ba mga 29er built bikes ba nasa 30k? TiA!

Old 01-03-2013, 05:58 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeyb View Post
fuji pasok sa budget. yung pinaraffle nung christmas party a few years back nasa 25K yata.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeyb View Post
May ilang 29er built bikes sa Quiapo Trek, GT Karakoram, Fuji, Cannondale na pasok sa budget mo.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:05 PM

I was reading this thread when I was planning to build a bike, now that my bike is done umabot din ng 42K++.

Ang advice kasing nabasa ko ay get a good frame and groupset, and hindi ko na-account ay yung fork, brake set and small parts. Magkakadikit kasi ang price range ng mga bike parts and its very hard to settle with the lower model knowing and seeing that the next higher is just a few thousands more.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:23 AM

@All

mga bro, ask ko lng bilang newbie sa mtb world, bakit po parang ang daming naka giant and naka merida compare sa cannondale? specific question for bike brand giant, merida, cannondale.

ang konti ng naka cannondale bakit po? thanks sa mga sasagot.

eto rin yung budget ko sa bike ko 30k and i got trail sl 3 cannondale. planning to buy again for my father.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:34 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkosalvador View Post
@All

mga bro, ask ko lng bilang newbie sa mtb world, bakit po parang ang daming naka giant and naka merida compare sa cannondale? specific question for bike brand giant, merida, cannondale.

eto rin yung budget ko sa bike ko 30k and i got trail sl 3 cannondale. planning to buy again for my father.
price? availability? known branding?

Old 01-29-2013, 01:57 PM
Bike Commuter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkosalvador View Post
@All

I think availability ng frame? Marami kasi nagbebenta ng frame alone na Merida at Giant, so para dun sa mga nag uupgrade, yun yung mga na sa top options nila. About Cannondale, mods correct me na lang if I'm wrong, pero wala pa po kasi ako nakikita na nagbebenta ng cannondale na MTB frame alone.. Pero maganda rin naman yan ang cannondale!

Old 01-30-2013, 01:07 AM

sirs newbie here

my 30k budget for sl2 cannondale ok na po ba yun? salamat

Old 01-30-2013, 02:41 AM
Freeride

@4playaz

kaya cannondale sl2 29er, rockshox recon, sram x5 for 30+k...built na yun...check some LBS

Old 01-30-2013, 05:37 PM

sir offroadie salamat po. pansin ko lang yung sram x5 shifter ay walang indicator kung what gear kna. ganun po ba talaga? salamat po

Old 02-16-2013, 09:03 PM

sirs what po kaya katulad ng cannondale sl2? nagkakaubusan po e. salamat

Old 02-18-2013, 03:15 PM
All-Mountain

problem sa cannondale 29er SL1, SL2, SL4 lahat puro Small dumating sa Pilipinas according sa isang shop owner, which I also confirmed asking around quiapo and cartimar noong naghahanap ako ng SL4 na 29er.

Old 02-18-2013, 03:59 PM
Downhiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by dt_maximum View Post
I was reading this thread when I was planning to build a bike, now that my bike is done umabot din ng 42K++.

Ang advice kasing nabasa ko ay get a good frame and groupset, and hindi ko na-account ay yung fork, brake set and small parts. Magkakadikit kasi ang price range ng mga bike parts and its very hard to settle with the lower model knowing and seeing that the next higher is just a few thousands more.
Sa akin frame, groupset, fork. Not necessarily in that order. Unless you're a die hard DH rider ka, or you really ride hard rough trails, most frames today costing P4k will do. You don't have to go higher than that lalo na kung xc or road ka most of the time. I'd go for custom build bike. I'd probably not get brand name frames like Giant or Cannondale na built-bikes na. They may have great frames but the gruppo or other parts are compromised. There are other decent frames out there to choose from and not having to sacrificd having a decent gruppo and frame. Here are some scenarios:

- P20-22k will already yield one an all Alivio group set with XCR fork. Lower if XCM.

- If you get the SGM Soul at P15k, change to the fork to an epicon, that's around P22.5k right there. The Soul is all Alivio already.

If you go Deore, that should be in the P23-26k range with an XCR fork. So for P30k, you'd likely get a Deore gruppo and an epicon fork.

The thing is to concentrate your money on the 3 main parts - frame, gruppo, fork. If you don't, you'll bloat up your cost by at least P5k on an expensive headset, colored hubs, carbon seatpost, P1,500 seat, etc. I would rather get a good working bike, with the 3 main major parts all setup right, then upgrade the other things later. But my upgrade will likely be a better and lighter rim. My first rim would likely be just a mavic with standard stainless steel spokes to cut down on the cost. I'd go for the higher P8k or higher rims/wheelset later on.

A really good frame, gruppo, fork, and wheel set is probably going to hit P40-50k. But a decent bike, better than say a built cannondale or giant can be had for P20-25k, 30k tops. This is as long as you custom built it and avoid splurging on the other parts not of these core 3 on the onset. If you go above Deore, say an SLX, that's where you really will hit P40-50k. Make it 55k-60k if you want to make the wheelset ligther and more expensive too.

But if you plan to have a 20-30k bike, this is one way to go. It's definitely going to be better than a brand name built-bike unless you really are stuck up on getting a brand name bike frame. For the same price though, you'll be getting the brand name frame, but you will trade off the gruppo, or even a better fork.

Old 02-18-2013, 04:21 PM
All-Mountain

Mosso frame - 4-5k
Epicon fork - 7k
Alivio groupset - 9k (kasama na Hydro brakes)
Wheelset - 3k
Cockpit -3-4k

Max 28k....may pambili ka pa short, jersey and helmet!

Links