PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community
Go Back   PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community > Tech Central > Product Review

Product Review Personally tried an mtb product lately? Post your review here!

Bike Town Cyclery King's Bicycle Store Gran Trail Cycles Global Craze Bikes Newton Multi Sales Decimal Cycle Supply Cycle Art Marketing Deuter backpack, hydration bags & accessories - Dynamic Sports Corp. Comet Cycle Center - SFDM, QC Mars Kingdom Cycle Trading Bike101 Bikeshop Ryder / Maxxis / Infinity Italia / Shimano HitchPro Philippines Red Bike Zone

Old 11-17-2012, 10:05 PM
Bike Freak
Default Topeak RedLite Mega tail light

Topeak has recently released a new tail light for bicycles, the RedLite Mega.

Our brightest and most technically advanced rear safety light. The RedLite™ Mega features 1 Piranha high-flux red LED and 4 additional super bright LEDs (2 red / 2 yellow) to provide an impressively bright and extremely visible signal to approaching motorists. 5 modes of operation alert drivers of your location on the road and maximizes your safety when cycling at night.
Webpage and technical specification:

This review inspired me to hunt for one:

light mode patterns:

what you get:

This light is bright. even on a well lit road at night, it is still very visible and very bright. it has 4 modes. advertised as still visible at 1.6Km with 280 degrees visibility, I began hunting for one, and luckily got one from a local bike shop.

Installing the batteries is a chore. you'll be needing a 2mm allen wrench to loosen the screw then slide down the cover. this will reveal a thick rubber seal that covers the battery compartment, very impressed on the weather sealing. it requires 2 AAA batteries. I was amazed on how bright this one shines even on broad daylight. another drawback for me is the seatpost mount, coming from a very easy to install bracket of cateye, I was not impressed on the rubber thing that will wrap on the seatpost to hold the mounting bracket, but once installed, the bracket will stay in place. The Redlite Mega by default has a sliding clip that you can attach to your bag (a topeak saddle bag has a slot to accommodate this light via the clip). the last drawback for me would be the mode memory. This light will not remember the last mode you used when it turn it off. you'll have to cycle through to select the mode you want to use the last time.

seatpost mounted

around 10 stop underexposed shot at sunny 16 (1/200 f/16 iso200)

very bright even on broad daylight
visibility angle
it seems that the battery life is good

seatpost mounting
needs a tool to replace the battery
does not remember the last mode you used.

a little bit expensive but for me, it's worth the price. One of the best tail lights available. Overall, I'm happy with my purchase, and highly recommended safety light.

Keep Calm and Padyak More
Old 11-17-2012, 11:00 PM
Global Moderator
Default Re: Topeak RedLite Mega tail light

bro, could you test this on wet conditions? the previous Redlite (3 LED model) i had conked out after 3 wet sessions. it had button batteries, kinda expensive to replace if you just want to find out if it's the batteries or the unit itself that got busted.
Bike handling should be instinctive, like 2nd nature. No mind.
Common sense isn't.
Enough spoon feeding.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:08 PM

san kaya yan available dito? sana weatherproof din.. hehehe

BIKE More.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:41 AM

How much score nyo sir?
Where po?
Old 11-18-2012, 01:17 PM
Bike Freak

sige idol, itest ko siya at paliguan ko. mukhang ok naman na ang rubber sealing niya, makapal.

2 shops pa lang ang nakitaan ko nito, cycle art at bike plus. SRP is 1350.
Keep Calm and Padyak More

safety, taillight, topeak