PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community
Go Back   PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community > Images & Videos Gallery > Trail Gallery > Luzon Trails Gallery

Notices

Bike Town Cyclery King's Bicycle Store Gran Trail Cycles Global Craze Bikes Newton Multi Sales Decimal Cycle Supply Cycle Art Marketing Deuter backpack, hydration bags & accessories - Dynamic Sports Corp. Comet Cycle Center - SFDM, QC Mars Kingdom Cycle Trading Bike101 Bikeshop Ryder / Maxxis / Infinity Italia / Shimano HitchPro Philippines Red Bike Zone

Old 08-30-2012, 04:40 AM
Bike Commuter

Default Re: Cordillera trails (2012-08-17~08-21) : Banaue, Barlig, Tabuk, Tinglayan, Bon

from here we still have a long way to go

Here are more steep very muddy portions, kung dika marunong gumamit ng granny maglalakad ka

And of course great views will never run out when you go up and the mountains

Not so muddy not that dry either, the trails I mean

More corn fields

cosmic-bubblegum.blogspot.com
Links
Old 08-30-2012, 04:43 AM
Bike Commuter

Default Re: Cordillera trails (2012-08-17~08-21) : Banaue, Barlig, Tabuk, Tinglayan, Bon

rest and cleaned our bikes a bit

Larga again!

And we thought the uphills ended already...NOT! haha

Once you this on the side of the road, mini chocolate hills, you are very near tabuk!

That's Earl by the way his shot

When we got to Tabuk we went to Bolaoan Police station and registered. Then we met my contact in another Police Station, sir Alvin.
Sir Alvin helped us go to the nearest Hotel and the best place to eat in Tabuk

Old 08-30-2012, 04:46 AM
Bike Commuter

Shot by Earl, Emilies restaurant in Dagupan, Tabuk

Earl and Rod

Where we stayed

Las Vegas Hotel

Our room, how the hell did Hungary end up in Las Vegas? hahaha

Its been our 3rd day of biking in and around the mountains of Cordillera, we have been isolated from any new news.
Only when we watched the tv did we learn of Jesse Robredo's plane crash. Shot by Earl

Washed our clothes, watched a few movies, and then slept like babies, first time namin mag aircon after days of biking.

Natonin's starting elevation is at 955 MASL then it will go down to as low as 300 MASL the the lowest elevation would be at 144 MASL in Tabuk.

Total distance is approx 66 Cordillera kms. mostly trails.

Trail Conditions: it will be mostly trails, if its rains it will be very muddy on more than half of the trip (Natonin to Tabuk), only the very last few parts going to Tabuk will be cemented.

This is day 3 of our ride. Tomorrow it will be going to Natonin. Thanks for reading and viewing the pictures.

Thank God we are safe.

Old 08-30-2012, 05:00 AM
Bike Commuter

Tabuk to Tinglayan

We started quite late this day, the guys we're beat up a bit and the 3 days of riding we're taking its toll and not to mention the heavy bags haha. We started at 9-930am already, since Tabuk had an elevation of 144 MASL it was so freakin' hot. Actually the whole day of the ride was freakin' hot!

Mornings at Tabuk, view from the top of our Hotel

On one side of the viewdeck of the hotel

Carbo load before the strenous biking

Earl

Zang too busy

Me pacute hahaha, facial hair already growing

Then off we go, it was so damn hot that start of the day

Old 08-30-2012, 05:01 AM
Bike Commuter

That long bridge is...

the Canao bridge

We are going left

Tinglayan...54 kms (whole day ride again! )

Then there's this dam

And after the dam was this awesome looking portion:

Old 08-30-2012, 05:04 AM
Bike Commuter

During the first 3 days of our trip it was either cloudy, drizzling or raining. We still have got to get used to this hot weather!

Refreshing when cold

Views were still great

Parang cottage garden in tanay rizal going to Sierra madre but with the awesome rocky mountain side

My bike 'Malaya' striking a pose with a great lookin' backdrop

Old 08-30-2012, 05:05 AM
Bike Commuter

Pasil bridge

We took a break here, its already noon and its so freakin' hot

The makunat uphill started at the Pasil Bridge and it was mostly road, still a tough route kase makunat. When we got passed Lobuagan town that's when it started to rain very hard.

Dagupan, Tabuk to Pasil Bridge is approx 19 kms.

After Pasil bridge will be a long makunat 15 kms. gradual uphill, which will be hard on a very very sunny day.

Old 08-30-2012, 05:07 AM
Bike Commuter

After the 15 kms. gradual uphill from the Pasil bridge, the next 15 kms. of uphills will be much harder:

The reward, great views look how high we have biked already, d*mn!

On the way to Lobuagan, when you are near that town, will be very very few rough road only.

Old 08-30-2012, 05:08 AM
Bike Commuter

Lubuagan, elevation approx 900 MASL

a few kms. after Lubuagan's main town it rained very hard, Lester had a flat

We were able to vulcanize it and had a roof to repair it under, thanks to the kind locals

Then the great views again and again

After the main town of Lubuagan there will be a short uphill of about 3-4 more kms. which will be the highest point (1036 MASL). From there you can see the a town before Tinglayan

Old 08-30-2012, 05:11 AM
Bike Commuter

Once you've reached 1034 MASL (about 50-53 kms away from Tabuk) that's when the downhill starts, which is about 10 kms. long and mostly paved roads already.

Tinglayan's elevation is approx 500-523 MASL. Daming lamok! :/ well sa Tabuk malamok na din. We stayed at Sleeping Beauty Inn and Resto. The view of the mountain range looks like a woman lying down, that's why they call it sleeping beauty.

We arrived at Tinglayan at 5pm. Registered first at the Police Station before checking in at the hotel.

Muntik pa kaming manakawan, thank God I stayed up very late that night talking to a special someone. We stayed at a nearby hall where there were open windows. Our initial room required us to cross a hanging bridge which we declined because it was too far from the main town.

I barely had 2 hours of sleep that night because I volunteered to be on night watch because of possible akyat-bahay moves, Lester after 230am took over and I had a chance to sleep for a few hours to recharge for the next day's bike trip.

Dinner!

Before

After

Total distance of the ride: approx 67.7 kms (majority are paved/cemented roads).

Thank God all of us we're safe this day.

This is day 4 of 5. Thanks for viewing the photos and reading the story.

Old 08-30-2012, 05:13 AM
Bike Commuter

Tinglayan to Tabuk

Only a couple of hours rest, my head was still groggy when we woke up at 530-6am. Had our breakfast, washed our bikes a bit, wore the 'wet' clothes I washed from last night (again! only the shorts and cycling shorts underneath varies, also wet haha).

Breakfast with Earl and Rod

nagpapacute ulet ako haha rawr! Thundercats rawr!

The hall

When I chatted with the staff, I learned that the guy with the hat is a Bicolano who stayed in Montalban Rizal for a few years
The other staff of the resto, a girl named Cherry, is also from Manila, near V. Luna. QC.

We told them about the incident that night that a kid tried to sneak in on us. I hope they teach the kid a good lesson.

Souvenir shot at the Sleeping Beauty Inn and Resto

We left Tinglayan at 730am (though Jake suggested we leave early at around 6am). It was so sunny that day.

Sunny but great to take pictures when the sun is out

Old 08-30-2012, 05:14 AM
Bike Commuter

As we got farther and farther, we got higher and higher and higher

The views of course got more awesome but it was also getting hotter and hotter as hours passed

Old 08-30-2012, 05:18 AM
Bike Commuter

There they are uphill, do you see?

Locals carrying sacks on top of their heads and still brisk walking, how?

More great views

There's this shrine on one hill

You think that's near? When you're traversing mountains, always remember the 'Cordillera' kms. up here is different than in Manila

Old 08-30-2012, 05:21 AM
Bike Commuter

It seems downhill from here but when you get there, gradual uphills

More awesome views

Me and Rod/Zang (shot by Earl)

About 2 hours away from Bontoc, we met 3 bikers. One of them recognized me when I mentioned my forum name 'rorschach'. He introduced himself and flashbacked in a story sometime 2009 where in me and Vei went biking from Sagada to Ilocos Sur. They were the 3 bikers who we bumped into going to Besao he said.

Here are the 3 bikers photo by Earl

One of the bikers was on single speed and we were quite in a hurry to get to Bontoc by noon. We left them in our hurry to catch the last trip as much as we would still like to chitchat.About 4-5 kms.

Old 08-30-2012, 05:23 AM
Bike Commuter

This was about 2 kms away from Bontoc and it was very very hot by then.

At the corner of the uphill we saw Bontoc and we all shouted 'Yes! Thank God we made it!' well not simultaneously but you get the idea At last Bontoc!

We made it to Bontoc by noon, texted Steve and Jakoguns. We asked Jake to get tickets for us bound to Manila, Jake is in Lagawe by the way. We planned to pay him a visit, have a few beers, wash-up and then take the trip to Manila.

Links
Old 08-30-2012, 05:29 AM
Bike Commuter

On the way to Lagawe, top load. Me in front, Rod at the back in a very awkward position. When he was about to go up at the back the jeep was already moving haha. He grabbed to whatever he can

Earl with the mohawk

Rod Earl and Jake aka Jakoguns

Old 08-30-2012, 05:32 AM
Bike Commuter

Reviewing the photos and videos of the 5 day Cordillera trip With a bottle of Red Horse (that's Jake's laptop)

Me and my fellow long haired brother, Jake aka Jakoguns

Jake even cooked for us! That's Jake's uncle standing on the right

Cheers for the successful ride!

Tinglayan's elevation: approx 503 MASL
Bontoc's elevation: 864 MASL

Elevation Gain: 2523 meters
Elevation Loss: -2171 meters

Total distance from Tinglayan to Bontoc: 44.5 'Cordillera' kms.

Old 08-30-2012, 05:34 AM
Bike Commuter

Hence, we finished the ride on time, right on schedule based on the IT I created modified by Jake, reviewed by Steve, Tintoy and Mimis.

Thank God.I am always humbled by the mountains. Unlike others I don't consider myself to have conquered anything. And a wise man once taught me never put things like this as accomplishments or trophies or as a crown. I treat this as a learning experience.

Maybe I got a bit stronger, learned a thing or two. In the end I am simply 'happy'. And a bit darker toned too Haha Thanks for reading my story (if you did) and for viewing the photos. Just you wait for the video

P.S. If you plan to ride on this route, better bring extra brake pads

Thank you for viewing the story again thanks to Dayuhan, Jakoguns, Tintoy and Mimis in helping me plan this ride. Thanks to Rod and Earl for joining me on this ride and other pictures, and to Rod for tracking the route in his Garmin

Thank God for the beautiful mountains of the Cordilleras!

Old 08-30-2012, 02:30 PM

Well said Drew; hats off and standing ovation to you, Zang and of course Earl. As said, i am lost with words that i could write/utter on this adventure you just had.

With this ride of yours and the parallel ride we similarly did in Banaue to Santiago Isabela (AUG 19-21), it says of who are the men and who are the boys.

simply i can say, great and awesome Bro. As i said to Zang, let the be more to come from the real and genuine Cordillera Trailblazers!!!!
Old 09-02-2012, 04:32 PM
Bike Commuter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VNC View Post
Well said Drew; hats off and standing ovation to you, Zang and of course Earl. As said, i am lost with words that i could write/utter on this adventure you just had.

With this ride of yours and the parallel ride we similarly did in Banaue to Santiago Isabela (AUG 19-21), it says of who are the men and who are the boys.

simply i can say, great and awesome Bro. As i said to Zang, let the be more to come from the real and genuine Cordillera Trailblazers!!!!
Thanks again sir Vince for appreciating. Also kudos to you and your ride, it was also a success!

Links

Tags
banaue, barlig, bontoc, tabuk, tinglayan