PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community
Go Back   PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community > Home Trails > Riding and Training Techniques

Notices

Riding and Training Techniques Share your training, riding tips & race strategy.

Bike Town Cyclery King's Bicycle Store Gran Trail Cycles Global Craze Bikes Newton Multi Sales Decimal Cycle Supply Cycle Art Marketing Deuter backpack, hydration bags & accessories - Dynamic Sports Corp. Comet Cycle Center - SFDM, QC Mars Kingdom Cycle Trading Bike101 Bikeshop Ryder / Maxxis / Infinity Italia / Shimano HitchPro Philippines Red Bike Zone

Old 06-24-2011, 08:15 PM
Cross-country

Default Strength & Conditioning : Applications in Mtb'ing

Just want to share guys. For those who want to improve on their endurance or performance on races, here are some infos that you might find useful. I hope it can serve as your guide when you make your own training programs. Enjoy!

The FITT principle of an aerobic training program

Frequency - This refers to the number of training sessions you are able/willing to do per week. This will greatly depend on how long or how intense your training sessions are. basically, the harder you train, the more time your body needs to recover thus the need for more days off after your training session.

Intensity - This refers to the effort being exerted in training a session. One must train in a certain level of intensity in order to stimulate your body to adapt to the stress brought about by exercise. Thus, regulation of exercise intensity is very important to each training session and ultimately the entire training program. Exercise intensity that is too low may not overload the body enough to trigger physiological adaptations, where as an intensity that is too high expedites fatigue which leads to a premature end to your training session.

Time - It refers to the length of time from the start to the end of your training session. Time (duration) of your session is determined by your training intensity. The more intense the exercise, the shorter your training duration should be and vice versa.

Type - This refers to the specific activity performed by a person. It can be activities specific to biking, running, swimming, or skiing. And since were here in pmtb, we'll be focusing on biking.

Monitoring your training intensity
One of the most practical way of monitoring exercise intensity is getting your heart rate and comparing it to a target heart rate. It is known that to improve your cardiovascular endurance, you must train within 60-80% of your functional capacity (VO2max). Knowing these values, we calculate for our target heart rate using the Karvonen formula.

Formula:
- age predicted maximum heart rate (APMHR) = 206.9 - (.67 x age)
- heart rate reserve (HRR) = APMHR - resting heart rate (RHR)
- Target heart rate (THR) = (HRR x exercise intensity) + RHR

Calculating your target Training Heart Rate Range (THRR)

1. Get your resting heart rate (RHR) a few minutes after waking up. This will prevent getting a higher heart rate reading by eliminating external factors such as stress, fatigue, etc.
2. Calculate your age-predicted maximal heart rate (APMHR) and heart rate reserve (HRR)
3. Plug in values to the Karvonen formula : (THR) = (HRR x exercise intensity) + RHR

Example
So lets say that you are 35 years old and your resting heart rate is 75
APMHR = 206.9 – (.67 x 35) = 183
HRR = 183 – 75 = 108
THR = (108 x .60) + 75 = 140 (lower ceiling ng target heart rate)
THR = (108 x .80) + 75 = 161 (upper ceiling ng target heart rate)

So when you need to train at 60-80% vo2max, your target heart rate range is 140-161

So what do you do exactly in a training session?
Well, there are generally five main types of aerobic endurance training that you can follow. The Long, slow distance (LSD), pace/tempo, interval, repetition, and the Fartlek training programs are the different types of programs created for specific outcomes.

Long, Slow Distance Training (LSD)
Yung intensity ng LSD should be approximately 70% vo2max. More or less, makakapag salita ka pa habang nag pepedal. The time should be at least 30mins to 2hours. Since the duration of the training session is long, try to spread them evenly through the week kung twice ka mag lsd. If you are an experienced biker and have sufficient endurance already, try to cover the race distance instead of timing your training session. Kapag malalayo talaga yung tatakbuhin mo, you can pedal at a lower intensity or pace. You should only do it once a week. Increased cardiovascular and thermoregulatory functions are just some of the benefits of this type of program.

F – 1-2 days/week
I – 70% vo2max
Time –30min -2h /race distance or longer for experienced riders
Type – LSD

Pace/ Tempo Training
There are 2 ways to conduct this type of training. First is for pace training. Your intensity should be slightly higher than race pace and should be maintained for 20-30mins. Yung pangalawa naman is tempo. Same pace as pace training pero in shorter bouts followed by a recovery period. The objective of this type of training is to develop a sense of race pace and enhance the body’s system to sustain exercise at that pace. I suggest that you do this in a closed track para minimized yung obstructions sa daan. Spread the training sessions as far as possible to allow time for recovery.

F – 1-2 days/week
I –slightly above race pace / at threshold
Time – 20-30mins / shorter than race distance
Type – pace/tempo

Interval Training
In interval training, one should exercise close to Vo2 max. 3-5 minute exercise bouts with 1:1 work-rest ratio. Applying that into mtb, pwedeng ka mag mash sa steep hill for 5 mins, then go down the next 5 minutes while still spinning. Or you can continue going up while spinning the next 3 mins kung malakas ka na. Repeat for 3-5times. Increase repetitions as you progress. Do only once a week. Since this is a very stressful, do only 1 training session a week. You must have enough aerobic training and muscular fitness before doing this.

F – 1-2 days/week
I – close to vo2max (90%)
Time – 3-5mins
Type – interval

Repetition Training
Also known as REPS, it is done in intensities greater than vo2max. all out pedalling na to! Haha. It lasts for 30 to 90 seconds. Work-rest ratio is 1:5 (5mins rest after 1minute of work). Longer rest period is needed because at this intensity, there is high reliance on anaerobic metabolism. This type of training is beneficial for the final kick/ push of a race.

F – 1 day/week
I – above race pace
T – 30-90s
T – REPS

Fartlek Training
It’s a combination of the previous training types. Mainly used for running but it can be used for biking as well. It involves long distance in a slow pace, alternated with either fast bursts for short periods or climbs.

F – 1 day / week
I – varied
T – 20-60 mins
T - Fartlek

please do note that i just adapted these guidelines for mtb. these are general training programs for all aerobic activities.

hope this helps!

Last edited by justdaman; 06-24-2011 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Automerge, please use EDIT button to ADD/EDIT your recent post.
Links
Old 06-24-2011, 08:46 PM
Downhiller

Default Re: Strength & Conditioning : Applications in Mtb'ing

salamat sa pagshare. nice read!
Old 06-25-2011, 07:18 AM

this is helpful. I'll definitely try this. you are really "justdaman" i'm looking for. Thanks!
Old 06-25-2011, 03:18 PM
All-Mountain

sir maganda to,may katanungan lang po ako.
pwede ko po ba gawin bawat isa sa mga ito on different days of the week?parang bitin kasi yung 2x a week for long slow distance or pace/tempo riding or interval. pwede po ba ganito?

monday - LsD

tuesday - rest

wednesday - pace/tempo ride

thursday - rest

friday - interval

saturday - rest

sunday - rest

by the way,i use a stationary (spinning) bike on my training sir.parang bitin kasi yung twice a week sir eh.

how about nutrition during training days sir?

BURN BABY BURN !!!
Old 06-25-2011, 04:31 PM
Cross-country

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmangulaman View Post
salamat sa pagshare. nice read!
salamat po!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash&burn View Post
this is helpful. I'll definitely try this. you are really "justdaman" i'm looking for. Thanks!
hehe. nice one sir.

@magicmojak
pwede po sir! bale here are some examples of a weekly training program

Advanced rider

Monday - Rest day
Tuesday - Pace/Tempo Training
Wednesday - 1hr LSD
Thursday - Interval Training
Friday - Rest day
Saturday - Pace/Tempo Training
Sunday - Epic Ride

Intermediate / Busy Riders

Monday - LSD
Tuesday - Rest
Wednesday - Pace/Tempo Training
Thursday - Fartlek
Friday - Rest
Sat - Epic ride
Sunday- Rest

just be reminded that these training programs should only be used for 3-4 weeks para di ka mag plateau agad.

ok lang yung stationary bike sir kaso ang nakikita ko lang na problem nyan sir is that your not going to be training your core muscles and other assisting muscles that are engaged when you are balancing yourself on a bike. ang mangyayare, yung major muscles mo lang yung mattrain while the supporting muscles are relaxed since the stationary bike will do your balancing for you. mas maganda paren if you can ride your bike pero its the next best thing lalo na ngayon na maulan.

Last edited by justdaman; 06-25-2011 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Automerge, please use EDIT button to ADD/EDIT your recent post.
Old 06-25-2011, 08:11 PM
All-Mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by justdaman View Post
salamat po!

hehe. nice one sir.

@magicmojak
pwede po sir! bale here are some examples of a weekly training program

Advanced rider

Monday - Rest day
Tuesday - Pace/Tempo Training
Wednesday - 1hr LSD
Thursday - Interval Training
Friday - Rest day
Saturday - Pace/Tempo Training
Sunday - Epic Ride

Intermediate / Busy Riders

Monday - LSD
Tuesday - Rest
Wednesday - Pace/Tempo Training
Thursday - Fartlek
Friday - Rest
Sat - Epic ride
Sunday- Rest

just be reminded that these training programs should only be used for 3-4 weeks para di ka mag plateau agad.

ok lang yung stationary bike sir kaso ang nakikita ko lang na problem nyan sir is that your not going to be training your core muscles and other assisting muscles that are engaged when you are balancing yourself on a bike. ang mangyayare, yung major muscles mo lang yung mattrain while the supporting muscles are relaxed since the stationary bike will do your balancing for you. mas maganda paren if you can ride your bike pero its the next best thing lalo na ngayon na maulan.

sir very thank you.

may thread na ako ginawa (heart rate monitor training) para sa ganito,walang nag reply ng ganito.hope to ride with you soon.mas marami pa siguro mapupulot na pamamaraan sa iyo pag kasama ka sa ride.pm kita pag may magandang ride sir.

BURN BABY BURN !!!
Old 06-26-2011, 01:41 AM

@Justdaman

Sir just want to ask your source (link) sa FITT program na ito? Thanks...
Old 06-26-2011, 02:14 AM
Cross-country

Essentials of strength and conditioning. 2nd edition. Saka onting stock knowledge lang po ang reference ko dito sir. Hehe.

Btw sir, FITT lang sir yung acronym for the four main components of any training program which are Frequency, Intensity, Time and Type.. Different training programs may it be for basketball, running, or cycling should always be made with these four components in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicmojak View Post
sir very thank you.

may thread na ako ginawa (heart rate monitor training) para sa ganito,walang nag reply ng ganito.hope to ride with you soon.mas marami pa siguro mapupulot na pamamaraan sa iyo pag kasama ka sa ride.pm kita pag may magandang ride sir.
Salamat sir! Magbabalik loob palang ulit ako sa mtb. Ride tayo sir pag nabuo ko na xc rig ko.

Last edited by justdaman; 06-26-2011 at 02:16 AM. Reason: Automerge, please use EDIT button to ADD/EDIT your recent post.
Old 08-24-2011, 03:35 PM
All-Mountain

well, i drink only once a week, liquor that is, an on Tuesday afternoons. i have my massage on that day, then ride again in the mornings the day after the other. i ususally prefer to train on steep inclines rather than on long highways because of the variations of body positions during the ride. i avoid high-cholesterol diets, and feast on legumes and vegetables. skinless chicken may be fair as well as lean meat.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:34 PM
Cross-country

well, training on steep inclines has its own benefits same with long distance training. you would surely benefit if you train on both
Old 02-07-2012, 03:53 PM
Downhiller

naligaw na sa topic ng thread starter?

Strength & Conditioning : Applications in Mtb'ing
Old 02-10-2012, 02:28 PM
Lurker

good day po sa lahat.
ask ko lang po kung fit sakin yung frame na nabili ko. 2012 vision 1.5 po.

im 5'9" and weighing almost 150 lbs.

sakto po ba sakin yun? thanks po sa sasagot ^_^
Old 02-10-2012, 02:58 PM

Wow! Very informative post!(Yung unang post, hehehe)

Tho most are not applicable for me since one day in a week lang ako magride, minsan wala pang ride, hehehe.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:36 AM
Cross-country

good evening mga pmtberks, hindi ko alam kung san ko ippost tong tanong ko eh, pero i think pasok to dito sa strength&conditioning, tanong ko lang, is it ok for the bike to use big chainring then small cogs, i use it in uphills kasi mas nawworkout yung legs ko kaysa gagamit ng ibang gears...
Old 04-13-2012, 06:11 AM
Downhiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by choy81610 View Post
good evening mga pmtberks, hindi ko alam kung san ko ippost tong tanong ko eh, pero i think pasok to dito sa strength&conditioning, tanong ko lang, is it ok for the bike to use big chainring then small cogs, i use it in uphills kasi mas nawworkout yung legs ko kaysa gagamit ng ibang gears...

Big ring + small gears? Oo ba, basta ba kaya mo.

I ride with a few guys who have very strong legs. Hindi sila gumagamit ng lower gears unless talagang mahirap na. At hindi sila tumatayo din. Nakakaawa ngang tignan yung drivetrain pag akyatan na, parang hinihintay mo na lang na malagot ang kadena.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:22 AM
Cross-country

thanks! uu nga kahit ako naaawa sa drivetrain ko parang mapuputol yung chain, kaya ko naitanong baka kasi mali yung ginagawa kong exercise....
Old 04-13-2012, 06:35 AM
Downhiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by choy81610 View Post
thanks! uu nga kahit ako naaawa sa drivetrain ko parang mapuputol yung chain, kaya ko naitanong baka kasi mali yung ginagawa kong exercise....
Pagdating sa climbing, kanya kanyang diskarte yan. Kung kaya ng legs mo na high gears ang gamit mo why not di ba? Ako ang technique ko ay 'sit and spin'. Just shift to lower gears to match the same cadence as if riding on flat ground.

In terms of building strenght and endurance, bike na lang ng bike. Riding uphill builds strenght. Riding long distances/long hours builds endurance.

What worked for me is riding single speed and now road bike.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:57 PM
Cross-country

sir ok yung pag gamit nyo ng big chainring + small cog as long as matatapos nyo yung hill na aakyatin nyo sa napili nyong gearing. pag hindi pa kaya or masyadong hirap pa, lower it one gear down until mahanap nyo yung gear na matatapos nyo yung hill. then repeat. pag dumali na, go one gear heavier para may progression ang ensayo nyo. hth!
Old 04-13-2012, 10:59 PM
Cross-country

thanks sa mga replies niyo, by the way im using deore xt rapidrise(old skul hehe) hindi ko alam kung tama yung statement ko last time big chainring+small cog, baliktad kasi yung shifting ng rapidrise,im using both heavy gears, front and back, so far natatapos ko naman yung uphill training ko... sarap sa legs...hehe...
Old 07-20-2012, 11:14 AM
All-Mountain

Share ko lang po yung app na BEATBURN INDOOR CYCLING i use this app 3-4 days a week and it gradually impact my stamina, power, recovery an over all riding experience...
Para lang siyang spin class, instead of lifting weights sa gym i spend 45mins on the bike, it givea you specific RPM and TONE.. Been doing this for less than a month and nag improve yung uphill ko and i improve my time going to the summit.
Links

Tags
advice, back problems, vision 4x