PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community
Go Back   PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community > Home Trails > Single Speeder, 29ers & 69ers

Notices

Single Speeder, 29ers & 69ers For 29ers, 69ers and Single Speeder Fanatics

Bike Town Cyclery King's Bicycle Store Gran Trail Cycles Global Craze Bikes Newton Multi Sales Decimal Cycle Supply Cycle Art Marketing Deuter backpack, hydration bags & accessories - Dynamic Sports Corp. Comet Cycle Center - SFDM, QC Mars Kingdom Cycle Trading Bike101 Bikeshop Ryder / Maxxis / Infinity Italia / Shimano HitchPro Philippines Red Bike Zone

Old 04-10-2012, 09:11 PM
All-Mountain

Default Re: FAQs about 29er Bikes

Which is more comfortable sa trail, FS 26er or HT 29er? Usually maarat/fort/ la mesa ako madalas. I currently have an fs khs 604 and planning to join the 29er fever. Thanks!
Links
Old 04-10-2012, 09:47 PM
Bike Fanatic

If it's just comfort you are looking for, then no hardtail, whether it's 26 or 29er can beat a full suspension bike.

The 29er hardtail experience is different. You'll have to ride it to really understand. An aluminum 29er HT will definitely more comfortable than a standard AL HT. Steel or Ti 26 HT vs. AL 29 HT? Who knows? I haven't ridden any bike that is not AL.

If you're coming from a 26HT then I can assure that it will be more comfortable, but the way it rides and the way you apply your power will change - there are so many aspects to ride enjoyment. Since you're coming from a FS, then comfort will suffer a bit but you will gain some advantages.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:55 PM
Downhiller

Riding a good 29er ht is almost similar to riding a fs 26er HT. That is assuming you have good (not necessarily expensive) front suspension. Its a matter of adjusting to a different gearing combination and momentum to enjoy a 29er.

OT: gumalaw din ang /69er 29er section since apr 3
Old 04-10-2012, 10:03 PM
All-Mountain

Thank you sir Acmi for the reply. I have to test ride one real soon. honestly, im still happy with my 26er fs rig since its very comfortable even on the harshest trails we got here in the metro until a friend of mine told me that the comfort level is somewhat similar to each other. I just need a justiication for the upgrade (or downgrade?). Don't want to have regrets in the end. Im a weekend biker and frequent maarat/sierra alternately.

Last edited by santi; 04-10-2012 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 04-11-2012, 05:46 AM
Bike Fanatic

If you're happy with a FS, one thing you can consider is a higher end, more efficient frame. When you're riding a hardtail, no wheel size can mimic an active rear suspension. Kung puro hardpack ka lang, then a 29er will feel like a FS - and you will go faster, but once you get to rocky, choppy terrain, you will then remember that you are still riding a hardtail, especially if you like to go fast. Kaya ng bike, pero ang bugbog ng katawan mo nandyan pa rin. I came from a 26HT and FS (had them both at the same time). My ride is now a 29er HT, and I'm saving up for a 29er FS precisely for the comfort factor. Once in a while there will always be a ride where I want to prioritize comfort. If you want to have just one bike, then I suggest a test ride before you dispose of your current bike. For me, a 29er is awesome, but you shouldn't get caught up in the hype. Decide for yourself. For what it's worth, on a 29er, a lighter wheelset and tire combo can make a huge difference, especially on climbs. My stock wheelset was more than 2 kilos and they felt like anchors. Now down to 1.7k, it's much more efficient and fun.

Ride safe.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:02 AM
Bike Commuter

ACMI, what fs 29er frame are you considering?
Old 04-11-2012, 06:43 AM
Bike Fanatic

I already have a Pivot Mach 429 frame - 2011 model - it was between that and an Anthem 29er frame. The Anthem is significantly lighter but I'm not that excited about the geometry in relation to my body proportions - the Pivot has shorter chainstays, has a longer eff. top tube and has better standover clearance. I would need a large Anthem, but the medium Pivot seems to fit my needs. I hope my decision will turn out to be correct. My hardtail is a Giant BTW and I love it. I'm waiting for my fork to arrive and it's driving me nuts!
Old 04-11-2012, 06:53 AM
Bike Commuter

Any comments/opinions/sugestions...
2 x 10 vs 3 x 10. On my EMD Niner frame. M building my 29r. Tia
Old 04-11-2012, 06:54 AM
Downhiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACMI View Post
If you're happy with a FS, one thing you can consider is a higher end, more efficient frame. When you're riding a hardtail, no wheel size can mimic an active rear suspension. Kung puro hardpack ka lang, then a 29er will feel like a FS - and you will go faster, but once you get to rocky, choppy terrain, you will then remember that you are still riding a hardtail, especially if you like to go fast. Kaya ng bike, pero ang bugbog ng katawan mo nandyan pa rin.
100% AGREE.

Generally I am comfortable with my 29er HT but last Saturday's ride made me more resolute on getting a FS 29er. Rode down a part of the trail called 'Freefall' which is a fast and bumpy and since it was my first time on that trail, I couldn't go as fast as I wanted. I couldn't relax and my body was tense which made riding a hardtail a bit uncomfortable. Had I had a FS (or if I was riding my FS 26er), I wouldn't have the need to anticipate bumps and would have concentrated on speed management better.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:03 AM
All-Mountain

Thanks for all the replies. Now, I believe that a 29er ht and a 26er fs should not be compared head on in terms of comfortability since each have different dynamics. i want a 29er ht (cant afford an fs) but i want the plushness of my 26fs.
Links
Old 04-11-2012, 09:22 AM
Bike Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dial Tone View Post
100% AGREE.

Generally I am comfortable with my 29er HT but last Saturday's ride made me more resolute on getting a FS 29er. Rode down a part of the trail called 'Freefall' which is a fast and bumpy and since it was my first time on that trail, I couldn't go as fast as I wanted. I couldn't relax and my body was tense which made riding a hardtail a bit uncomfortable. Had I had a FS (or if I was riding my FS 26er), I wouldn't have the need to anticipate bumps and would have concentrated on speed management better.
Nice to have a different ride for different types of trails. I want to preserve my back and joints from too much abuse. There are lots are trails where FS isn't necessary, but it's more fun and safer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by santi View Post
Thanks for all the replies. Now, I believe that a 29er ht and a 26er fs should not be compared head on in terms of comfortability since each have different dynamics. i want a 29er ht (cant afford an fs) but i want the plushness of my 26fs.
There will always be a compromise somewhere. You can describe a 29er HT as comfortable, but you can never call it "plush". Once you get the hang of it, however, it can haul a## and put a grin on your face, especially on downhills. Just think about it very well and do your research. In the end, riding your bike is what really matters.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:46 PM

I'm proud of my first bike a 29er HT GT Karakoram 1.0. I find it quite comfortable even on bumpy trails and it is fast even on climbs.

There has always been a notion that 29ers are a bit heavier but we could use the momentum it brings to its advantage.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:10 AM
Lurker

Hi, i would like to know your insights about 2012 gt karakoram 1.0? Is it a good bike at the right price? I'm planning to buy one soon, so your suggestions and advice will surely be appreciated. THANKS GUYS!
Old 11-29-2012, 12:21 AM

Guys. i need your help. I will be buying my second bike. I really like 29ers. So i have decided to get the merida big nine tfs100. Here's the problem. What bike frame size will fit me? 6ft guy here. Please. Thank you
Old 11-29-2012, 08:24 AM
Downhiller

Go to a bike shop that sells Merida Big Nine TFS series built bikes and try the medium size which are usually available and see if its fits you comfortably. If not, then try their large size if available. Tfs series frames have the same geometry, and even weight, they differ only on the components that come along in the specific series'. The tfs xt-d is named because most of its components are shimano XT like crank, shifters and RD.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:29 PM

That's the problem po. Hindi ko po matetest personally ung pagfit kc i'm just going to order it through my cousin who has a bike shop:/
Old 11-29-2012, 04:42 PM
Global Moderator

@paolo, you might want to drop an email to merida and ask for their recommendations. or....try mo sa online bike fitting sites, baka may recommendation sila for 29'er
Old 11-29-2012, 04:52 PM
Freeride

I just paid a visit to my suking LBS in BF Paranaque earlier today. They have quite a number of Merida Big Nine bikes on stock. I think the size 19" would fit you.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:18 PM
Bike Commuter

Question mga sir: May rigid fork po ba for 29r?
Old 11-29-2012, 05:29 PM
Global Moderator

@eyds, mewon!!!! google is your friend, he he. and yes may available sa pinas
Links