PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community
Go Back   PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community > Home Trails > Bicycling News

Bicycling News Newsfeed all about bicycling tech, info & tips.

Bike Town Cyclery King's Bicycle Store MT Pro Bikes Gran Trail Cycles Global Craze Bikes Newton Multi Sales G. C. Cyclist Decimal Cycle Supply Cycle Art Marketing IronBike.net MyNextBike.com Azione Sports ISOLINK Mtb Suspension System Deuter backpack, hydration bags & accessories - Dynamic Sports Corp. Comet Cycle Center - SFDM, QC Mars Kingdom Cycle Trading Bike101 Bikeshop Ryder / Maxxis / Infinity Italia / Shimano Business Venture 888 - 12 O'Clock Bike Components Parts and Accessories.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:50 AM
Global Moderator

Default Magura TS8 29 Fork - First Look

I got to briefly play check out one of the few Magura TS8 29er forks currently in the US. I big thanks to Brent Winebarger and Tony Ballantine of Magura for making it happen. The new TS8 29 was really nice looking in its subdued white and black color scheme, and the 100mm version was quite light weight for a 29er fork. The fork has their M15 axle system, which uses a threaded 15mm axle that is tightened with a Torx T25 tool, and they have cleverly integrated a small Torx wrench into the opposing end of the axle.

The new MAGURA TS (Team Suspension) series will include the 29er with travel options of 80,100 and 120mm, a 650b with 120 and 150mm, and 26er with 80,100,120 and 150mm. There is a slew of versions for the forks with multiple features, including the entry level TS6, and the higher-end TS8 SL and TS8 R.

MAGURA 29" suspension fork with M15 thru-axle
The new 29" forks are available with a travel of 80 up to 120 millimeters. Their design is engineered without compromise for high stiffness. The ultra-stable DAD arch (Double Arch Design) and the new MAGURA M15 thru-axles make a major contribution here. The steer tube options offered by MAGURA are the standard 1 1/8" and a tapered version. The tapered steer tubes can fit very short head tubes on small 29" frames.

The MAGURA suspension fork series
All TS forks have been developed based on the SLE concept (Stiffer, Lighter, Easier). This means optimum stiffness at the lowest possible weight, extremely low maintenance, and a easy set up. With the Fork Master Concept (FMC) it is possible to manufacture forks with a sensitive response where special bushings, seals and surfaces work together with the Fork Master Grease (FMG) to deliver an exceptional ride. The forks feature progressive suspension characteristics that prevent over-response even in steep terrain. The TS8 R 150 is offered as a fixed travel version or with the LS (Lift Select) system.
  • Thoughts => I only got to push the fork around on the ground and twist it in my hands, but it certainly has that same brute stiffness and strength that the Thor has, and that's greatly due to the stout double arch. I was amazed how light the sucker was, coming in around 3.6 lbs. The seals felt pretty decent, and it had a smooth stroke, so it will be interesting to see how the fork functions after it breaks in, and obviously how it works during actual usage.

M15 thru-axles with integrated tool
The new MAGURA M15 thru-axles have been especially developed for MAGURA 29" suspension forks. A special feature is the self-retaining thread that makes additional locking of the thru-axle unnecessary. Simply tighten the axle and the wheel is safely secured. The MAGURA Tool for Torx T25 bolts is concealed inside the thru-axle, so you have always got the tool for tightening the axle with you. At the same time it protects the thread against contamination. The tool can also be used on the most bolts of MAGURA MT hydraulic disc brakes and HS rim brakes. You can use them for changing brake pads or adjusting the lever settings, for example. This system of axle and integrated tool weighs only 58 grams.

Protection Caps
An intuitive feature are the Protection Caps at the lower end of the forks. They prevent damage to the drop outs and rebound dial while the wheel is removed. These are fitted to all MAGURA forks with thru-axles.
  • Thoughts => This actually works quite well trying it out in person. It's a pretty simple system, just pop out the axle tool from it's recessed location on the right side of the axle, and then use the integrated Torx T25 head to take the axle off and on. It sits in there pretty snugly, so I can't imagine it falling off during a ride, but if it does, you should have a T25 Torx wrench in your tool kit. This interesting axle design certainly saves them from having to pay Rock Shox for their ubiquitous QR! The bottom of the fork has some nice rubber bumpers (a.k.a. protection caps) that should protect the fork, and be extremely useful during a wheel change.
Perfect fit between discs and 29" or 650B/27.5" wheels
29" and 650B/27.5" suspension forks are supplied exclusively with the PM7 disc brake mount for discs with a diameter of 180 millimetres and upwards. Large wheels also need large discs to ensure performance and durability.
  • Thoughts => I like having the 180mm size as the default, much like the original Thor had, since I always use 180 or 203 on any of my bikes, and it makes for one less adapter.

RSS Feed brought to you by Grams Light Bikes

Links