PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community
Go Back   PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community > Home Trails > Riding and Training Techniques

Notices

Riding and Training Techniques Share your training, riding tips & race strategy.

Bike Town Cyclery King's Bicycle Store Gran Trail Cycles Global Craze Bikes Newton Multi Sales Decimal Cycle Supply Cycle Art Marketing Deuter backpack, hydration bags & accessories - Dynamic Sports Corp. Comet Cycle Center - SFDM, QC Mars Kingdom Cycle Trading Bike101 Bikeshop Ryder / Maxxis / Infinity Italia / Shimano HitchPro Philippines Red Bike Zone

Old 03-08-2012, 04:48 PM
All-Mountain

Thumbs up Re: Romancing with the Cleats

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingo View Post
@Dec- thanks for the insights sir

My Budget for a clipless conversion (since im still trying it out) would be 5k max all in from pedals, MR cleats and shoes. What are the models that can fit that budget so that I can just go to the store and ask for it. 9.5 US size ko sa shoes, I hope my size is not difficult to find locally.
You're welcome bro, we are here to help.

My advice to make life easier for you is to let the store do their job - they are there to sell you something, diba? How I do it is this way -

"miss, may dala akong limang libong piso at kelangan ko ng cleats, shoes at pedal - paano ko mapagkakasya 'to?"

Then she will bring out all the possible items that will fit your budget. Let them do the work.

The problem kasi of you sticking with model numbers is that you will just get frustrated if they don't have it in stock, yada, yada, yada so, start by giving them your budget and tell them that if it goes over, you're walking out of the store.

Believe me, it always works - demand service bro.

If there is just one advice I would give you, go to King's and look for Jane. She will do all these for you with a smile pa - a beautiful smile even at that.

Happy shopping bro!

PS

M424? My advice is go for something else. M424 is bad in panic-disengaging as per my OWN personal year-long experience with this pedal. The pop-up design SUCKS big-time since it tends to put erratic, unnecessary tension on your cleats. Best that you have a non-moving cleat assembly thus, more predictable especially during those panic moments. Stick with the straight-forward, static, non-pop-up designs that may even be cheaper. There is a NON-series Shimano cleat that looks like an XTR and that seems ok, pardon the weight.

The M424 also SUCKS in muddy rides. The mud stuffs itself in the pedal and does NOT shed! Cleats will still engage, sure, but the disengagements even becomes MORE unpredictable - loose now, tight later...confusing and may prove painful sometimes!

There are other options but stay away from pop-up styles.

Again, this is my PERSONAL opinion and I don't intend to convince anyone on this. I hold on to my years of experience and for me, it has taught me well.

Hope this helped.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:20 AM
Bike Fanatic

Default Re: Romancing with the Cleats

I have a similar take on Dec's opinion. I have used the PD-647 pedal before (the DX pedal) and I now prefer the non pop-up pedal design. The DX pedal is also very heavy. The revised SPD design now offers a much wider platform, even with the XC models due to the added plates on the side. The Trail models should be even better. Cleat engagement is more definite and predictable and you're less likely to get hung up. I use the XTR XC pedals and I can unclip and still stay on the pedal on sketchy areas, though most of the time I stay clipped in. If you're on a budget, this pedal should do nicely:

http://bike.shimano.com/publish/cont..._mountain.html
Old 03-09-2012, 11:47 AM
Downhiller

Thats what I am currently using and thinking of getting another pair for the other bike.

I've been toying with the idea of trying Crank Brothers' Egg Beater pedals but for road bike use.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:04 AM
All-Mountain

any reviews on the a530? the one with the flats on the other side and cleats on the other? im new to clipless by the way and I use my bike for short runs daily and 4x a week on trails..
Old 04-02-2012, 12:58 PM

@k8nolasco - pd m530 is a dual binding pedal, but has a wide platform/cage for non-cleated shoes . see dial tones pic above, i believe that is a pd m530. ü
Links
Old 04-02-2012, 02:36 PM
Downhiller

Shimano A530 pedals are dual sided touring pedals. One side flat, the other is clipless. Not the same a M530.

Unless you are looking or a specific "Pinoy" review, you can do a Google search...

Click to View Search Results for shimano a530 reviews - Google Search shimano a530 reviews - Google Search
Old 04-02-2012, 02:50 PM
Global Moderator

@Dial_Tone, bro, grippy ba yung ganyang pedals? I'm contemplating on getting that before for XC and Urban Assault duties. kaso medyo takot ako na dumulas kapag naka platform.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:19 PM
All-Mountain

i've made up my decision, im going for the m530, its cheaper and has great reviews. i've tried a530 which is installed on my buddy's bike, the cleats are great but the platform side are slippery. thanks for the insights sir carldivine and sir dialtone.. ang concern ko lang, hindi ba madaling magas2an yung m530 black color?
Old 04-02-2012, 05:00 PM

yikes! didnt see the "A" prefix. ü

@k8nolasco - you cant go wrong with the m530, i'm using one and so far so good. with regards to the paint scratching bit, it's pointless to worry about it because the moment you step on your pedals, its guarenteed to get its share of scratches. mine got scratched outright while i was practicing clipping/unclipping inside the house. ü

oh, before you start clipping/unclipping with your new pedal, i suggest you set the spring tension of your bindings to its lowest setting first as the factory default for the spring tension is set to max. its quite a daunting task trying to clip in with a new cleat and a binding tension set to max... ü
Old 04-03-2012, 02:23 AM
Downhiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthrax76 View Post
@Dial_Tone, bro, grippy ba yung ganyang pedals? I'm contemplating on getting that before for XC and Urban Assault duties. kaso medyo takot ako na dumulas kapag naka platform.
I haven't used these pedals yet. So far I've only seen them in bike shops. Since the platform side does not have any traction pins, I would assume na madulas nga ang pedal and not be suited for XC or Urban Assault-type riding. Maybe its best for easy riding or cruising under 7 MPH (10-11kph). Anything faster than that, flip it over and might as well be clipped in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k8nolasco View Post
i've made up my decision, im going for the m530, its cheaper and has great reviews. i've tried a530 which is installed on my buddy's bike, the cleats are great but the platform side are slippery. thanks for the insights sir carldivine and sir dialtone.. ang concern ko lang, hindi ba madaling magas2an yung m530 black color?
As previously mentioned and I can confirm as well, yes madali nga magasgasan. But thats the case for all types of pedals. From the cleat hitting it, pedal strikes on the trail (sayad), crashing, kapag hinihiga sa lupa/sahig/simento o kapag isinasandal sa pader. In short, magagasgasan thru normal use.

BTW, I still dont feel the benefit of the "extra platform" on the Shimano M530 pedals. Perhaps if I used a cycling shoe with a flexible sole then maybe I would. In regards with using flat bottomed shoes (i.e. 'rubber shoes'), the M530 is not a substitute for flat pedals.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:06 AM
All-Mountain

tnx again sir dialtone and sir carldivine! now lets go and practice! hehehe
Old 04-03-2012, 10:02 AM
Global Moderator

@Dial_Tone, thanks bro sanay ako dun sa err...alam mo pa yung pedals na pang sidecar? yung wide na aluminum pedals. although meron siyang protrusions, parang pins na nauupod over time..makapit naman. yung sa shimano kasi parang grooved bars kaya alangan din ako.

i might as well stay clipped, he he. bakit ba kasi walang Wellgo WAM D10 sa pilipinas....
Old 04-03-2012, 12:30 PM
Downhiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthrax76 View Post
@Dial_Tone, thanks bro sanay ako dun sa err...alam mo pa yung pedals na pang sidecar? yung wide na aluminum pedals. although meron siyang protrusions, parang pins na nauupod over time..makapit naman. yung sa shimano kasi parang grooved bars kaya alangan din ako.

i might as well stay clipped, he he. bakit ba kasi walang Wellgo WAM D10 sa pilipinas....
Oh yeah, I know what you mean! Medyo off topic pero speaking of wide alum pedals...

Ganyan yung isang set ko ng flat pedals, Crank Brothers 50/50 XX. Malapad talaga, its meant for downhill racing. Ngayon ang daming gasgas na at yung mga traction pins kailangan ng palitan. Makapit pa rin when used with 5.10 soled shoes.

Yung isa ko namang set, Sun Ringle Octane pang BMX/urban/Downhill din. Surprisingly mas magaan pa sa Crank Bros.

Actual pic

Pricepoint.com sells the Wellgo pedals your looking for:

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/142...10--Pedals.htm

Hindi naman mahal, baka pwede kang magorder online. When I ordered X7 shifters from Pricepoint I recieved it in 3 days. It might take longer to get shipped diyan but I dont think it would take that long.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:51 PM
Global Moderator

aaah rats...oo nga 'no, i should've ordered when i was there.....aaargh!!!!!

anyway, tama ka, similiar to your first pic yung platforms na gamit ko sa commuter bike. i'm using skateshoes. weird thing is....i noticed na malikot pala ang paa ko kapag nakaplatforms, ha ha.

i miss being clipped in, ha ha.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:36 PM
Downhiller

Sayang nga. Pricepoint is in Southern California under 50 miles ang layo sa bahay so 3 days lang. Shipping it to MA would have taken 7-10 days.

Back to the topic at hand...

Yeah magalaw talaga paa on flat pedals. We just dont notice it until we have been riding clipped in. Thats what makes being clipped in more efficient. Efficiency is performing the same motion (work) over and over producing the same result (pedaling dynamics). This becomes more apparent when riding long distances or longer times on the bike. Then there's better transfer of power when pushing down on the pedals (i.e. akyatan).

There have been times that I've gone riding on flat pedals and angat ng angat paa ko sa pedal. Nasanay na kasi sa pull-up ng pagkaclipped in.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:41 PM
Global Moderator

aha ha ha, same here. may studies eh, that clipped in riders put less pressure on the pedals on the upstroke (whether pulling it up or just letting the foot rest). which is good kasi walang energy wasted on stepping on the pedals.

and yes...umaangat din ang paa ko sa pedals on the upstroke ngayon na naka platforms ako, ha ha.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:35 AM
Bike Fanatic

mga sir question, does unclipping eventually become second nature ?
Old 04-05-2012, 12:12 PM
Downhiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanondail View Post
mga sir question, does unclipping eventually become second nature ?
It is so much second nature you dont even notice it anymore. Repetition builds muscle memory. The best part? You can master riding clipless rather easily.

Panoorin mo ang mga nakaclipless whether mtb'er o roadie; they unclip without even making a conscious effort.
Old 04-08-2012, 01:44 PM
Bike Commuter

hi guys,super newbie here...
after reading this thread is was convinced to go clipless right away after just a month of biking,hehe..
got shimano M077 shoes and m520 pedals..
set the tension to the lightest, buti na lang coz i had a couple of near misses and the shoes voluntarily unclipped itself.. yeah,yow....
and luckily my leg muscles are always constantly reminding me that im "clipped in"...
very nice upgrade and yes my pedalling effiency really did increase..
Old 04-14-2012, 11:24 PM

After backreading this thread i finally decided to go clipless. Using M077 with multi release cleats and M503 pedals. Been practicing inisde the room. Clip, unclip, clip, unclip and yes bumagsak na ako....sa electric fan .

Tried it this morning at camp aguinaldo. At first sa road muna parang naging automatic bigla na pag may car or may tao or i need to slow down twist na agad ako ng heel. Then sa trails i noticed the big difference especially on the climbs sarap gamitin.

Now the fear of using clipless pedals is gone. Just twist it out and more practice! Sulit na upgrade.
Links

Tags
clipless pedals