PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community
Go Back   PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community > Home Trails > Road Bike Section

Road Bike Section For our road cousin!

Bike Town Cyclery King's Bicycle Store Gran Trail Cycles Global Craze Bikes Newton Multi Sales G. C. Cyclist Decimal Cycle Supply Cycle Art Marketing IronBike.net MyNextBike.com Azione Sports Deuter backpack, hydration bags & accessories - Dynamic Sports Corp. Comet Cycle Center - SFDM, QC Mars Kingdom Cycle Trading Bike101 Bikeshop Ryder / Maxxis / Infinity Italia / Shimano

Old 06-04-2011, 02:55 AM
Lurker

Default Road Biking

Hi Guys,

I'm soon to start biking..road biking.. I am to purchase a built bike.. then.. what do I have to do next? What other accessories do I have to buy (helmet, shirt?, shoes?)? And what other things do I have to know about my bike, and the sport I will venture into.

Meron ba mga boss na tips para sa newbies especially if road bike ang magiging linya ko? or in biking/cycling in general.

Feel free to post po other threads/links to other threads here. I'm a good back reader buy I don't do well in searches.

Thanks!!

Links
Old 06-04-2011, 02:22 PM

Default Re: Road Biking

Sir, dati ako sa BMX (elementray days.) Now im into XC mountain biking since 2002, at road bike na lang di ko pa nasusubukan and im planning to buy or build one pero la pa budget kaya MTB na lng muna. Sabi ng roadie friend ko na veteran ng Marlboro Tour ay importante ang fit na tinatawag sa road bike, dapat comfortable ang size ng bike sayo (eg. frame size, height, reach ng saddle to handle bars etc. Sabi pa nya importante magaan ang bike, yun lang mabubutas bulsa mo. So pwede na mid level na road bike. Pero if you can afford it, go for the high end kahit newbie pa, para wala ng upgrade2x, at who knows baka ilang buwan lng di na kau newbie, expert na. (Syempre buy helmet din, shoes at cycling short and jersey)

Old 06-05-2011, 10:27 AM
Downhiller

make sure you have a flat repair kit. mas madami akong nakikitang roadies nag repair ng flats kesa mga mounties

Old 06-05-2011, 10:28 AM
Lurker

it depends on how hardcore you want to cycle. Are you looking at going short distance or long distances? are you wanting a comfy ride or don't mind the bumpiness of some of the roads. On a road bike, you will feel all the little bumps. I don't care about speed, i care about distance and comfort. So i took my mountain bike, put on hybrid touring slicks, put on ergonomic grips. Also, will you be going clipless or platform pedals. While clipless are better overall, especially for uphill climbs, you have to buy the shoes to match, which will cost an extra 3k at least. You definitely need to have a helmet, you never know what may happen, trust me. You can buy a cycling shirt later, a nike dri-fit will work if you have one. Also, while they put on some weight, if you care about that, you might want to consider a extra tire/tube and a bike tool set. This is essential if you bike far away from your home or car. I tend to bike at least 25 k away from home before going back. So I also have a bike pump too. I have definitely caught my fair share of flats in the Metro. Also riding gloves are good for absorbing some of the vibration that goes with riding. Then some bike shorts will also be good, because you will need the padding, trust me on that. If you will ride at night, always buy a rear light and a front light for safety. Also a bottle cage and a water bottle is always a good thing, especially in this heat. For me, a bottle is not enough cause i drink lots of water when i ride. So i use a waterpack. Mine is a Deuter but Camelback is good too. Hope this helps.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:36 AM
Bike Commuter

#1 ang helmet!... cycling shorts, bike jersey, ok din kung mag start early ka sa bike shoes pero mag practice ka sa open roads na walang ganung sasakyan, expect a few mishaps sa bike shoes practice

Old 06-06-2011, 12:24 PM
Bike Commuter

Newbie rin ako bro. The bike is a bit small for me kaya naman medyo masakit ang balikat ko during long rides. Kaya importante talaga ang fit ng frame sa'yo.

Yung original na crank (rings) ng bike ko is 42-40. Halos wala ring difference. The crank itself is light pero I really had a hard time on steep climbs. Tapos yung cogs ko 7 lang and among them hanggang pang 6 lang ang abot. I'm currently using a local triple crank. Bumigat yung bike pero mas may laban naman sa akyatan. I'm not that strong a biker yet so I definitely need a granny (smallest ring in a crank). I suggest you get a road bike with a triple crank 52-42-30. Kung may budget get a good one.

So far di pa naman ako nafla-flatan ng gulong pero I always bring a repair kit and a spare tube along. Better safe than sorry ika nga.

Old 06-07-2011, 10:23 PM

Other than they have same number of tires, mtb and road biking are two distinctly separate disciplines. Speaking from experience, buying a roadie is an investment by itself. Make doubly sure your wants!

Dami bro tips na makukuha kay mr. google. Pero nothing beats experience.

I suggest for a start, other than safety gears, find yourself a partner. Road biking seems to be in general faster and longer rides, and having a partner or a group to be with during these rides definitely will be a great help....

Old 06-08-2011, 01:01 PM

newbie din here. from Mandaluyong, lets have a group ride for newbie or mga hindi pa malakas mag bike...

Old 06-30-2011, 09:39 PM

Ganda ng exchanges ng ideas and advices, sana may ma suggest kayo other than UP, taga Katipunan kami. Salamat po

Old 06-30-2011, 10:15 PM
Lurker

Bro, since malapit ka lang, why not try Camp Aguinaldo, maraming naka road bike dito halos every morning makikita mo sila or in the afternoon, safe pa kasi kokonti ang sasakyan.

Old 06-30-2011, 10:19 PM
All-Mountain

If you are near taytay,cainta or pasig area, you can try the roads near club manila east. maraming bikers doon na paikot-ikot lang. both mtb and roadie kind.

I have a roadie and I go to this place weekdays,weekends whenever the weather permits.

Just acquired an MTB and i go to this place to ride my bikes.

pretty soon aakyat na rin ang antipolo.

Old 07-01-2011, 11:01 AM
Cross-country

Thumbs up Re: Road Biking

Bro, go to a nearby LBS im sure they can help you in getting a proper size RB, this is very important kasi no matter how light and expensive the bike is pero kung di mo naman size di mo ma-enjoy ang sport kasi puro body pain ang makukuha mo each time you ride and of course hang out with a roadie group, the more the merrier diba ang marami kang makuhang tips in riding and handling and its a lot safer riding with a group.